5 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

I want to get a Rangefinder that will work both for Archery and Rifle shooting. I am assuming that the Rifle hunter will work the same just out to farther distances as the Archers Choice. They both have "Nikon's advanced ID Technology compensates for various incline or decline shooting angles—up to an incredible + 89 degrees (nearly vertical up or down)." What do you guys think?Here are links if you want to look.Thanks :)http://www.nikonspor...-Camo-Case.htmlhttp://www.nikonspor...tage-Max-1.html

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:48 AM

I had the same decision a few months ago, and I chose the Rifle Hunter 550, since I'll use it for both. They both work exactly the same, and the Archers Choice does work out to longer distances than what Nikon specifies (I ranged a building 200 some yards out with one). But I guess it is specified as a shorter range finder because it has difficulty picking up smaller objects further out. The last thing I need is to try to range a coyote at 200 and the rangefinder not be able to pick it up, so the 550 it was.

#3 DBAR

DBAR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

I have the archers choice For bow it works out farther than I can shoot( it has given range out to 189 yards)For rifle I just sight in 2" high at 100 and anything out to 300 yards will land in the killzone.To me the real critical shots are with my bow, so thats why I went with the archers choice.Hope this helps, Jim

#4 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

Both will work, but I would go with the rifle 550. When ranging animals you have to go by non reflective target distance which is usually about half of the reflective target distance. On the archers choice, since it is ranging 200 yds., it would be maybe 100 yds. on an animal, which isn't as effective when using the rifle.

#5 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

Ooh - and they both range to 1/2 yard accuracy...

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

Thanks guys. I will probably get the 550.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users