9 replies to this topic

#1 Mechuck

Mechuck

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

I have a buck that I want to get mounted but the cape is about 2 years old. Will it still be good or do I need a new cape?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

This sounds like a question for Wonder Woman, I mean CoyoteHuntress our resident taxidermist Par excellence.

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

Thanks John LOL. It depends on how well you packaged the cape. If it was just tossed in the freezer with no protection... probably not.. If it was folded up head and ears inside the roll, double wrapped in a plastic bag with all the air squeezed out, then there is a good chance it will be fine. Main thing with being older is the risk of freezer burn. Some can be fixed, some can not.. Wont know til you take it to a taxidermist and they can let you know.. Ive done some pretty bad capes that ended up turning out just fine. So just depends on the cape..

#4 Mechuck

Mechuck

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for tha advice huntress here is a pic of the cape before I triple bagged itAttached File  1.jpg   8.76KB   8 downloads

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

Looks like you did a good job skinning him out.

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Nice look face :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Looks like the lachrymal glands got left in the skull, and you see that hair along the antler burr? It should be on your cape.. Looks good otherwise..

#7 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

Sorry to hijack!CH- I tried to send you a message but evidently you are "un-contactable"... I know the last two seasons you were asking for capes. Do you know if you will be needing capes for the upcoming season? I mentioned it to my taxidermist up here and he has blacktail capes available. He told me to pass along his info if you are interested.

#8 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:11 PM

Yes IM always interested in blacktail capes.. I have a post in the classifieds. Maybe I should bump it up.. I dont want summer capes though. Want the nicer looking capes when they are done looking scrappy.

#9 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Look at her work. Rae knows what she is talking about. Rae, I hope to send you a deer this season.

#10 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

Thank You :hellohello9il: I hope you do too :yikes[1]: Good luck on the hunt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users