• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:13 AM

The Remington 700 is a nice rifle. I have a 700 BDL in Rem 17 and it shoots like a champ. Savage also makes a nice rifle. What is everyone's opinion of the Ruger number 1. I almost got one when I was looking at .223s but went with the Savage 12 FVSS. I have no regrets. I know a couple of guys that have Ruger #1s and they seem to like them.Jason O.

#32 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:19 AM

I've found the Rugers to be nice looking guns but lacking in the accuracy department. A box stock Savage with shoot better than the average Ruger and at a much better price. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#33 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:58 AM

I used to hunt deer with a Winchester Model 88 lever action in 243. One of the finest rifles I ever shot. Took a pig with it no problem. My grandfather had a set of matching model 88s with the other being in 308. Good guns. Too bad they stopped making them back in the 70s. Generally I'm not a lever action fan. To many look and perform like those cheap 30 30s they sell at Big 5. These guns performed like the best bolt actions but had a nice lever action and detachable clip. Good weapon. My dad still has it. Might have to borrow it someday.Jason O.

#34 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

Yep, nice gun. I still shoot the 88 in 308. Got a deer with it last year.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#35 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

Get the 700 BDL. It has the floorplate for a quick emptying of the gun. You can pick up a Rifle Basix trigger for about $120 out the door from Sportsmans Warehouse.The one on my XR-100 .204 is a 2 ounce trigger. A slight bit of creep (very predictable) and BANG!My 700 BDL .308's trigger was adjusted for me by my buddy. Breaks at a very crisp and clean 1 1/4 lbs.Rem 700's also have the MOST available aftermarket goodies (i.e., Brownells).I HIGHLY recommend free floating the barrel and having the action pillar bedded. I did mine myself (nervous as hell I would glue it into the stock!) and it came out primo.She went from 1/2" - 3/4" groups at 100 yards to 1/4" - 1/2" groups at 200 yards. (Match Winchester prepped brass, Fed 210 primer, 45 grains of Varget and Nosler 168 grain J4 competition bullets).

#36 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

The one on my XR-100 .204 is a 2 ounce trigger.

Holy cow! If the wind blows just right that thing will go off!
Eric - Newbie Varmint HunterMember NRA (life), CRPA, VHA, USPSA

#37 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:28 PM

Yeah - you have to be careful. It's perfect for long range though. No trigger pull error!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users