36 replies to this topic

#1 bobby7321

bobby7321

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:15 PM

thinking of picking up a .243.no one in the family has one, and i like the caliber.want it as a carry rifle. (coyotes, bobcats, other larger varmints/predators)any suggestions on make/models?I kinda liking the Kimber 84M Classic now. Just looking for input or suggestions.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:17 PM

Hmmmm, I have to carry all of my rifles... since no one else will... ok, sorry, couldn't resist...Anyway, there are LOTS of great brands and a lot really just depends on personal taste. What looks, feels and handles the best for you in other words. You should shop around & handle & compare as many as you can at the same time, preferablly in the same store. Go with your own feelings...CZ, Remington, Savage, Kimber are all very nice. Remington's trigger would probably have to be replaced or lightened up by someone that knows what they are doing.Stainless or blue barrel, shorter or longer barrels, wood or synthetic stock. And of course weight. There are advantages and disadvantages to all of them, so whatever suits your needs the best. Just take your time. Have Fun & Good Luck in Your SearchFrank

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:29 PM

Remington's trigger would probably have to be replaced or lightened up by someone that knows what they are doing.

Remington's 700 triggers haven't changed in 30 or forty years. Still the same three screws to adjust and procedures can be found on the web. If you get a jewell, you still have to adjust it. My Remington 700s all adjust down to around 2 lbs and break reasonably clean after nothing more than adjustment.A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:28 PM

Thay all are good but price wise the savage stevens 200 about 300 bucks the same as my 25-06 lite and quick and it kills things. short action 243 wt. wise is 6 1/2 pounds thay arnt that bad to look at but thay do shoot straight. But you cant go wrong with the others .Go to the gun shop and play with as many types that are there. 243 is going to be my next gun . after the 223 in july , now im getting the hives thinking of the 223. :blink: :blink:
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#5 bobby7321

bobby7321

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

yeah i own or have handled most of the brands mentioned. i like my CZ, I like winchester. even though my savage 204 shoots great, the action still feels janky. i like to have variety though, thats why i like to get new calibers as well as new makes/models. as far as looks i want a traditional look for this rifle, walnut / blued.

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:14 AM

I'd look at the Tikka too. I was admiring one at the shop the other day, wood and sporter barrel and light. I think Tikka is part of Sako which is owned by Beretta. Decisions decisions.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

I am a long time Remington fan. With all of the terrific things being said about the Accu-trigger and the out of the box accuracy from these rifles I am swayed to the Savage way of thinking.

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

Don't foget Howa!
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#9 bobby7321

bobby7321

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:07 PM

decisions, decisions!ok well my FFL doesnt deal in Kimber. so that may make things a bit easier to decide.the local club gets us rifles at cost, so i like to stick with our ffl.anyways so today im looking at rem 700 cdl - $550, and then i start thinking how much i like my dads weatherby and see that they have a weatherby vanguard sporter in .243 for about $450.what you think? i think i might already know the answer. ;)

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:49 PM

A17, you are correct in nothing new about Remington triggers & their 3 screws. I've owned a BUNCH of Remingtons since the '60's.My reason for mentioning Rem trigger is, 1) Some folks may not be aware of their hard triggers, especially beginners, 2) others do not trust themselves to adjust them, & 3) rather than adjusting OR having them adjusted some prefer to have them replaced giving the owner a better sense of safety.I (& several of my friends) happen to do the same as you, and simply adjust them down to approx 2lbs & have never had a problem... Bobby, I have not handled the CDL or Vanguard in quite awhile... I have owned 3 Weatherbys if memory serves me right and they performed just fine. However, I personally am not a fan of Weatherby. But that is just me. Again, personal taste is Huge. Also, another is the Browning A-bolt. They too are a very fine rifle. My oldest picked up one a few months back in a 270 wsm.All The BestFrank

#11 bobby7321

bobby7321

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:39 PM

thanks for all the input.think i've decided on the remington 700 cdl. classic gun, classic caliber. i like that idea.the weatherby is nice, but thinking maybe in a couple years grab a markV in 240 weatherby mag :)i'll report back once i receive the rifle and mount a scope on her.thanks!

#12 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:56 PM

Nice choice!

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:57 AM

think i've decided on the remington 700 cdl. classic gun, classic caliber. i like that idea.

I think you've made a good choice. It's a good gun manufacturer and the cartridge is a versatile one. You can load it to do what ever you need it to do from squirrels to deer with the right bullet. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:29 AM

Any idea what scope you're going to top it with?

#15 bobby7321

bobby7321

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

thinking a leupold 4.5-14

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:22 AM

I've got two of them in VX-III. The last one I picked up llighted a lighted reticle, too. Very nice.

#17 bobby7321

bobby7321

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:37 AM

yeah those are nice. im thinking just the 40mm with duplex.

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:54 AM

What about the Rugar Mark 2 they make nice rifles low cost too.

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:40 AM

A Ruger rifle at low cost....which one? :o

You don't need one Steve! :o

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#20 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:13 PM

A Ruger rifle at low cost....which one? :)

The one I bought going out of business sell..... :) okay i will say they are average priced then.

#21 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:15 AM

Sorry John-just never seen Ruger and low cost in the same sentance....

Ruger, low cost, accurate. Steve, you ever seen one of THOSE in the same sentance? (uh oh, here it comes...)

#22 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:06 PM

Steve must be a Ruger fan?

#23 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:57 PM

I've got a M77 that I bought in 1991. At the time they were about the only ones making a left handed rifle in 300 Win Mag. It has dropped a lot of deer since I've had it.

#24 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:08 PM

You'll notice I didnt brag about its accuracy... it does the job on bigger targets with a large kill zone. ;) It's the only Ruger I own.

#25 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:30 AM

Y-I-K-E-S, Steve, I see I have been a BAD influence on you. LOL (just kidding)Well, I have to admit that I personally am not a fan of Ruger, but believe they have improved their M77, bolt actions. Key word being "improved". The reason I say that is, a couple decades ago or there abouts, their barrels were not very good being made by another company that I cannot recall the name of.Since then, they have stopped using those barrels and if memory serves me right are making their own barrels?! In either case, the current barrels seem to be much better.With that said, I have owned a fair number of Rugers in different flavors over the years, & currently still own 2 Rugers, which work very Well... One, as a paint stirrer & the 2nd as a bumper jacket. Sorry, couldn't resist the last line... Frank p.s. my biggest gripe is the comb of their stocks are way too low, & have to "raise your head" to see properly through a scope. Of course having a "neck" would help. lol I also do not care for the looks of their grey barrels. But that is just me.

#26 scubamike1974

scubamike1974

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:15 PM

thinking of picking up a .243.no one in the family has one, and i like the caliber.want it as a carry rifle. (coyotes, bobcats, other larger varmints/predators)any suggestions on make/models?I kinda liking the Kimber 84M Classic now. Just looking for input or suggestions.

I have a T/C Encore that I would not trade. The .243 is my favorite rifle to shoot. This gun is a tac-driver. B)

#27 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:22 PM

I didn't know ruger mark 2s were bad shooters and so many people had bad things too say about them. This was my first deer gun 270 I bought back in 94 as long as I can hit the Vidal's on a deer or pig at 200 yards thats all i need I don't need a 1 inch group its not a varmint gun,but i have killed a few coyotes with it.I never shot it off a bench rest . I don't even have a good rest always okie site my rifles rest it on the tail gate, quad, tree, what ever i find. I need a rest i was thinking on buying the MTM in cabalas for 44 bucks.

#28 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

Hey Shoot-it, some of this stuff that any of us say has to be taken with a grain of salt. We sometimes get carried away with our opinions (except me of course). LOLRuger does make some good stuff & a LOT of it is personal taste. And Ruger DOES have a BIG following, or they probably wouldn't have survived this long. Sounds like your 270 (an outstanding deer caliber btw) is serving you very well & would not need to change from it. And you are correct. The majority of deer rifles are not & do not shoot as well as many varmint rigs, nor do they need to. Anyway, Hang in there (w/your Ruger) & Happy HuntingFrank

#29 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

I've got a Ruger M77 Mk II in 300 Win ... I can't make sub MOA groups but it has put down more than 30 deer.

#30 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

I'd go with the Rem. 700 CDL. Other than a possible need for a trigger adjustment, the gun will work like a champ. I have the 700 CDL in 270 and the gun works great on Deer and Boar. As for scopes, any of the Leupolds will work great. It's your choice on whether you want a 3-9 4-12 or higher. If your budget allows spring a little extra and get the VX-III over the VX-II.S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users