• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

PRODUCT SAFETY WARNINGAND RECALL NOTICE

17 HMR AMMUNITION AND MODEL 597® HMR SEMI-AUTOMATIC DO NOT USE REMINGTON 17 HMR AMMUNITION IN SEMI-AUTOMATIC FIREARMS.DO NOT USE THE REMINGTON MODEL 597 HMR SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLE.

http://www.remington...ice/default.asp

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:10 PM

AM I missing something? It's nice of them to issue the warning but they are expecting users to pay the shipping and are only issued coupons for Remington ammo or firearms. The $10.00 per box won't replace the ammo and the $200.00 coupon won't replace the rifle when you consider sales tax and all the other expenses.

#3 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

Damn! I just got my 597 shooting the way I wanted it to. $200 doesn't cover a whole lot does it! I wonder what the problem was? I only use Hornady .17HMR ammo in the thing but I guess something serious must be wrong with the thing or they wouldn't put out that recall.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

They're having lots of problems with all of the autos rupturing cases and spraying people. I'm not sure they designed the .17HMR to work in an auto. I was standing next to Bzzdr Feedr when his Volquartzen let one go. They fixed his gun for free but I've heard of it happening with several different guns. Mainly they get carboned up in the chamber and don't feed correctly. But then recently on another forum lots of guys were reporting split cases in bolt guns too. Maybe the pressures are just to high due to the bottle neck case on a rimfire. But it doesn't seem like much in the way of compensation, didn't these guns go for twice that amount?

#5 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

My new Savage .17 bolt is in DOJ jail for ten days. Where did you hear about bolt action issues? Was it all .17 ammo or a specific brand? I plan to teach my daughter varminting with it but do not want to expose her to any unnecessary risks. More info please!

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

I've seen pictures of split cases on .17HMRnet. That's that other forum I run.

#7 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:23 AM

I had some slight bulging of cases on my 10/17 (used to be a 10/22Mag). I just kept an eye on it and it always worked well. It's unfortunate they can't figure this stuff out. .17hmr in an auto is VERY fun!

#8 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:52 AM

I have had split cases in my Savage. Not very often, and almost always the spent case does not eject properly. I usually have to pop it out with a knife blade. I have only shot Hornady 17gr ammo. A clean chamber seems to alleviate the problem.

#9 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:13 PM

When they split, was there any other problem w/ the Savage? Just concerned for my daughter's safety when shooting. Is there a brand of .17 ammo that doesn't split?

#10 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

BC, No, there was no indication of a problem. Every shot seemed normal. The extractor just didn't grasp the spent casings. When I removed them I would find the split. Usually not very serious. It is curious because I have examined hundred of spent casings and don't think I have ever found one split that ejected properly. Unlike an autoloader the bolt guns lock up very solidly so I have never felt that safety was an issue. But, you are right in being concerned about the safety of a child.

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:31 PM

That kinda shoots a hole in the theory that many folks subscribe to, all the .17 hmr ammo being the same because it's made by CCI. I would think that if they were in fact exactly the same there wouldn't be a recall on just one specific brand of ammo.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

I believe they are just covering their butt because it has their name on it. I'm sure they couldn't care less about another companies ammo.

#13 ECVMatt

ECVMatt

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

I guy at my club had one blow up on him. Not too bad, but scary. Remington was really good to him and gave him a 700 in trade. They would not return the rifle.I have had no problems with my Ruger 77/17. I love the round, it is very fun.

#14 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

I called the 800 number and got a recording that they were in some kind of product training/familiarization day. I'll call back tomorrow morning and see what they tell me but I also emailed them about the $200 for returning the rifle. I told them that it cost me over $400 and now it's defective and I believe they should give us back the full amount (good luck, right?). I also called the gun shop where I got mine and asked them if they'd heard anything and of course their reaction was "NOPE". I'm thinking about pressuring them into giving me a Savage .17HMR bolt rifle. Doesn't hurt to ask! Besides, I've got thousands of .17HMR rounds from Hornady.

#15 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

By law they would be held to refund 100% of the purchase price if taken to court. The defect is their responsibility and consumer protection laws exist to handle exactly this kind of issue. You cannot knowingly profit from the sale of defective merchandise after the fact.

#16 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

If they don't step up tot he plate on this one and give full refunds, I for one, will never buy a Remington product again. And I'm a Remington fan.

#17 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:27 AM

A buddy of mine in Kentucky had the same problem with his Remington 597 using Hornady ammo. he sent the rifle back to Remington and they sent a bolt gun back???. Just got of the phone with him... he has never been contacted nor has the gun shop he bought it from concerning the recall.

#18 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

i am so freaking sad!I called Remington and they let me know all 17 hmr ammo is the same thing from the same place!

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

All .17 HMR ammo is made in the same plant...

CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products. Linda OlinCCI/Speer Technical Services2299 Snake River Ave.Lewiston, ID 83501

#20 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

That's wierd cause they sure shoot different in the same rifle. I shoot a savage and went threw them all before settling on Winchester.

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:21 PM

I agree. But that's what Linda Olin sent out and I had heard it before many times from our very own bzzrd feedr.

#22 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

I think that for Remingtons arguement to hold up in Court for the way the 597 acts with the .17 ammo would be for them to show how the AMMO has changed. Afterall, they designed a rifle around a cartridge, sold thousands to the public, and now blame the ammo Manufacturer? What ammo did they use to test the rifle? How did the rifle get through R&D as well as inspection from the QC Guys ? Unless they have proof the ammo has changed, they should give back every $ to those that bought them. Dont pee down our necks and then tell us its raining!

#23 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:45 PM

I agree, it pissed me off that I can't get what I paid back!

#24 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

I think the bolt actions are safe. I have a cheap bolt action savage and have shot hundreds of rounds so far not a problem. I do clean my gun every few hundred rounds maybe that helps .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users