• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 side focus with mildots for my Mountain Eagle .223 Rem varmint rifle. How's the glass? Good contrast? Do they hold their zeroes? Are the turret adjustments reliable 1/4 MOA and repeatable, or mushy and unreliable? Is there something better in that price range that I should consider instead?RA

#2 Prospector

Prospector

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Thats what i have on my 223. It is clear! I haven't tried it out yet but soon.

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

You have to love those Monarch scopes. Work great, and a lifetime warranty. Plus the pricepoint is right in there.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#4 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

Just installed one for my buddy's '06. His has the BDC. The scope is well made and like every Nikon that I handled, has great glass. The clicks is very tactile and precise. Great scope for the money.One negative comment. The ocular is huge. With Nikon flip caps installed, it's even bigger. Creates problem when mounted with low ring since it reduced clearance when cycling the bolt. No issue with rifle that has 55 or 60 degree bolt lift like the Weatherby's, Brownings or the Sakos, but problematic with Winchesters, Remingtons and Rugers.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the input. They sure look nice. From what I've seen, Midway and most of the major online stores sell them for $449 or more but you can find them new for as low as $376 on gunbroker.com. And some sites rank them up there with Bushnell Elite 4200's which cost several hundred dollars more. That sounds like a great deal if they're really that good and they'll hold up. If I don't hear any bad news about them on this forum over the next few days, I think I'll have to get one and try it out. RAPosted Image

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:17 AM

If you want something really sweet check out the Nikon IRT. Has a built in laser rangefinder. Very sweet!!!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#7 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:09 AM

Okay, thanks will do.RA

#8 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

I have one on an AR build. I was going to get a Leopold so I through it on there until I found the one I wanted.. Liked it so much that it's still on there!! Great glass for the money, pretty dang tuff as well.

#9 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

I have a 3-9x40 Nikon Team Primos scope on my Savage .308. Supposedly the Team Primos is a rebadged Monarch with a much cheaper price tag. I picked one up for about $250 and it is extremely nice. The glass is crystal clear, it does excellent in low-light conditions, and there were no clearance issues with the bolt.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#10 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Okay, thanks. Good to hear.RA

#11 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:02 PM

I just bought the Nikon buckmaster for my .300wm. Haven't tried it out yet, this weekend ;)

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#12 Rusled

Rusled

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:27 AM

Have two Nikon monachs, one 6x24, the other a 4x12. The 4x12 power adjustment ring has become a problem as of late. It was always a bit stiff to turn, now almost impossible. I will be sending it in to see just how good the warranty is. I should tell them that I had ran over the scope with my Vehicle 9 years ago.( The rifle too ) The only complaint I have with the older monarchs , is the power adjustment ring , when cold, was a tad stiffer to turn.This is a problem I understand they have addressed in the newer model monarchs.Running over the 4x12 only made the problem much worse. I have held out sending it back because it sits on my favorite, light weight shooting rig. There are some things that are so good, you don't want to mess with the recipe.That scope is part of that recipe.
Taking America back, one Marxist spider hole at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users