• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

I'm always on the look out for new and affordable duck calls and today I brought home the new Wingsetter Raspy Hen by Mickey Sasso. They're made locally and I really like that Mickey didn't just slap his name on any old call back in the 70s when his first duck whistles came out. Over thirty years later he has finally put out a double reed duck call so that tells me that he didn't want it out in the hands of hunters until he got it right. I've used the original Wingsetter duck whistle since I was a kid, last year I picked up the Wingsetter E-Z Flutter (excellent sprig whistle), so I figured I'd buy the new Raspy Hen duck call to go with the others. Plus I like that it is O.D. green like the rest of the wing setter family. I never understood why so many call makers go with bright neon-like colors nowadays.First thing I did was give it a few blows. A little deep sounding but the name of the call says it all, that is the sound the designer was shooting for. It's not a super loud call either but that fits my calling style perfectly. The great part is that this call is one of the easiest blowing double reeds I've tried. Feeding chuckles can be a little hard for me with a double reed but this one is very easy.Second thing I did was take it apart. Two o-rings seal the mouth piece to the body. The upper and lower reeds have holes in them that engage pegs on the reed block. This ensures that if you have to take it apart in the field it will go back together and still be in perfect tune. A neat feature that I have never seen is in the upper reed. It is a thick polymer reed with seven holes drilled through it. As soon as I saw that I figured it was probably to keep the reeds from sticking once they got wet, so.......I put it back together, ran tap water through it, gave it a quick shake, and blew on it. The reeds stuck on the first blow but the water cleared out and from then on it functioned like it was bone dry. I repeated this test several times and every time it was exactly the same. The best part is that when it would stick the call didn't make any strange sounds like some of my other double reeds do, just a quiet hiss of air passing though.While messing with this call I found that with quick, powerful blasts of air paired with some lip buzzing it made a very good Gadwal sound. They cost about thirty bucks and would be perfect for river hunters or a finisher for big water shooters. This year I'll be carrying this call on my lanyard and my Braz/Echo Open water call. Those two calls will do it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users