23 replies to this topic

#1 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:04 AM

I started getting into a new hobby. This is the first Ive finished. Made this skinning knife in my garage. Used a table saw blade for the steel, handle is red oak with brass pins. Pretty sharp, just need to shoot me a deer to see how it really performs and how well the edge holds up. Whataya think?Posted ImagePosted ImageI know saw blades don't make the best knife steel ever, but I'm just practicing on these first ones, and it was free :signlol2iu: . I've almost got a forge completed so I can do my own heat treating when I get some suitable steel. More to come, after deer season of course.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

The design looks great. It should hold a decent edge unless you ground it really hard and took out the temper. What sort of forge are you building? Is it a gas forge or coal forge? I prefer gas as they are faster to get going. But I temper my metals in a glass fusing kiln I have. It can be a very rewarding hobby.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

I think you did a really nice job on that knife. I sent you a PM.

#4 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

Thanks guys. Sorry for the low quality pics, phone pics of course.SJ- it's a propane forge. I'm using an old propane tank for the body. I'll post up some pics when I get it running.Braz- PM replied.

#5 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:10 AM

Very cool!! I think it looks great especially for your first.Good luck on the Deer!

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

That looks real nice :good: I have one simular but mine has more of a curve to the edge and it works great for skinning and fleshing, Course I didnt make mine :good:

#7 BUCKFEVER

BUCKFEVER

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

That look slike it turned out really well!!!! Way to go!! :good:

#8 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

:good:

#9 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

thanks for the kind words. I have a couple more cut out and ready to work as soon as deer season is over. If only I didn't have to work, I could get so much more done...

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

Great job! That's a hobby that could bring in some extra cash.

#11 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

Cool, I like the size. Too many people think that they need a 12" rambo knife for everything when the smaller knives are so much easier to control. How do you measure hardness. Saw blades tend to be springy, don't they?

#12 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:41 PM

the knife looks great for your first one ....looking forward to more pics of your creations .....best of luck with the deer season ....

#13 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

Great job I like it.

#14 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

Beautiful! Make me one exactly like it!

#15 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:18 AM

Thanks again guys.Fjold- not sure on the hardness of the sawblade steel. These first few are more for practice, so i'm using it because it's free. Once I get my forge running i'm gonna get into some of the carbon steels, probably either 1080 or 1095. They're less finicky in the heat treat area.JimT- I'd be glad to send you one, once I get some more practice and better steel. Wouldn't want to put out a knife with questionable quality.

#16 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

My SIL's (brother's wife) brother started out making knives in his garage. He's pretty well known now, P.J. Tomes

#17 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

Thanks again guys.Fjold- not sure on the hardness of the sawblade steel. These first few are more for practice, so i'm using it because it's free. Once I get my forge running i'm gonna get into some of the carbon steels, probably either 1080 or 1095. They're less finicky in the heat treat area.JimT- I'd be glad to send you one, once I get some more practice and better steel. Wouldn't want to put out a knife with questionable quality.

Sagedog, it's exactly what I'm looking for and with an exceptionally sharp blade and nice leather case. You let me know when and how much and the check will be on its way. Awesome but like you said you want the quality there too. Let me know when you're ready.

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

that came out real nice for a practice run.When the hunting season is done i will try and get some wood out to you.

#19 ReconDoc242

ReconDoc242

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Medicine, Fishing, Hunting, Skydiving, Spearfishing, Schutzhund, and MMA.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:08 AM

nice knife. Congrats

#20 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:37 PM

amazing looking knife. I would love to have one like it.

#21 Hutch

Hutch

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:28 PM

The design looks great. It should hold a decent edge unless you ground it really hard and took out the temper. What sort of forge are you building? Is it a gas forge or coal forge? I prefer gas as they are faster to get going. But I temper my metals in a glass fusing kiln I have. It can be a very rewarding hobby.

SJ... you've got all the cool stuff!

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, I have all sorts of equipment. I have too many hobbies and rather than pay somebody for something I'll buy a piece of equipment and do it myself. It can be a bad habit but then there isn't much I can't do either. LOLHere is one of my old knives I made with the antler scale grips. It's a copy of my old Schrade below it. I made several and gave then away as gifts but I can't find the pictures of them right now. I guess there on the old computer I better get it fixed. :roflmao3[1]: This has better steel in it and it's literally razor sharp. But soft enough on the back to hit with a hammer without breaking the blade. Plus the grip is fit to my hand so it's very comfortable to hold.Posted ImageRimrock also makes some very nice knives. Maybe he'll post one up to show us.

#23 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

Nice work guys. :roflmao3[1]:

#24 Papa D

Papa D

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Hunting varmints, fishing, teaching Hunter Safety Classes and firearms classes and gunsmithing. Can't wait to get the Grandkids out hunting!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

ShooterJohn and Sagedog,Nice work on the knives Gentlemen! Very utilitarian designs. I like using a dedicated skinning knife. It sure beats using a poorly designed blade for such a specialized job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users