27 replies to this topic

#1 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

has anyone else had a feeding problem with their 1911 when they had corbon dpx or speer gold dot in the clip ?any help would be great thanks ..........

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

Nope. My revolver goes bang every time. :)

#3 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

my little smith never has a problem however the springfield and rock island are another story .

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

Dang, Braz beat me to it :signlol2iu: (from another revolver fan) :yikes[1]: Sorry, dirt, I seem to be getting worse with age... hope you find your answer soon.Good LuckFrank

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

Are these reloads or factory?In auto's it could be a few things. One thing I've seen alot of with hangups in 1911 45's is from holding it too loosely.

#6 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

factory new .

#7 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

after market clips, (beg your pardon "magazines") as well as ammo can screw things up.

#8 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:44 PM

no after market "magazines"

#9 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

the overall length of the DPX round along with the wide open hollow point have been known to cause some feeding reliability issues. I had a kimber that would feed them maybe 90 % of the time but my sig in .45 was 100%

#10 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:32 AM

Thats a common problem with corbon ammo in almost all 45s. I sometimes had feeding issues with corbon JHP .230 grn in my sig p220 (slide has a hard time closing on the first round from the magazine) before I polished my feed ramp. Corbons have a very wide nose on the hollow points mostly because they use the speer gold dot in their ammo. I'm willing to bet the Barnes bullets in the DPX are wide hollow points with a thick heavy lip like speers. For SD load and where I can use lead ammo I prefer Buffalo bore ammo. About all you can do is Polish your feed ramp. Try a different weight bullet or switch to a hallow point that has a rounded nose or a polymer tip/ball. If its only the first round out of the magazine you may need to break in the spring better as well or use a magazine that has less pressure/tension on the first round ... or load one or 2 less bullets in your magazine.Another thing you can do is if your looking for a lead free hunting load is to load your own. If I'm not mistaken the bullets for .45 ACP .45 LC .454 Casull and .460 S&W Mag are all the same Diameter and as long as you don't exceed what your gun can feed and handle you should be able to come up with a good lead free round in 45acp.

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

If I'm not mistaken the bullets for .45 ACP .45 LC .454 Casull and .460 S&W Mag are all the same Diameter

The .45 acp uses a .452 bullet compared to .454 for the revolver cartridges. I don't know how much .002 would effect pressures but I'd be afraid to try it with an auto. There's just to many parts slingin' around at warp speed for me.

#12 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:36 PM

thanks for the great advice everyone.not fully on board with the reloading yet but workin hard to get there.i love the sd hollow points, but if i could find a good lead free slug that would be cool also ......

#13 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

Ya getting the feed ramp polished with help you out a lot.

#14 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:51 PM

The .45 acp uses a .452 bullet compared to .454 for the revolver cartridges. I don't know how much .002 would effect pressures but I'd be afraid to try it with an auto. There's just to many parts slingin' around at warp speed for me.

Hey CD when I go to buy bullets most manufacturers list them as .451 for all the 45's or as .452 very few list them .451 and .452 (ie 45 acp as .451 and 45lc-.460S&W as .452) I have even seen a manufacturer list its bullet diameter for rubber bullets as .451-.452 So I don't think it makes that much difference. No one I buy bullets from list 230 grn or lighter bullets in pistol as .454 only .452 and .451. at larger then 230 grn Midway only has 1 454 (235grn lead fn) and 1 .455 (250grn lead RN) .45 bullet for diameter. When in doubt I would consult the reloading data for the cartridge caliber and bullet you reload and even then I would be careful I ran in some wierd problems with 7.62x54r requiring me to slug my barrel.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

I thought all of these new fangled autos had polished ramps and were throated and so on. All of my autos are all 20+ years old but I've gone through them all and they'll feed an empty cases. So if that ammo isn't working for you send it to me it will feed and shoot in my guns. :roflmao3[1]:

#16 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

thats what I heard Shooter John . That if your gun would not cycle empty , sized , cases , you will have problems . I belive that there are a few companies that still do the " Gurantee 2 mags of sized empties feeding " when they work on your 1911 . Andy

#17 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

i just bought the pistol , well not to long ago that is.it's a rock island compact .45 acp . has anyone else had a problem with the rock islands ?

#18 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

Could be the nut behind the trigger. ;) I kid. Nothing SUCKS worse than a new toy that won't cooperate...

#19 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

handgun your not the first to say that ...... some say i'm a half bubble off plum .........

#20 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:28 AM

I thought all of these new fangled autos had polished ramps and were throated and so on. All of my autos are all 20+ years old but I've gone through them all and they'll feed an empty cases. So if that ammo isn't working for you send it to me it will feed and shoot in my guns. ;)

John I have a Sig p220 ST Stainless ..... My ramp was blued so I had to polish it.

#21 BigMatt

BigMatt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Tight groups, long shots, sight and stalk, reloading, homebrewing beer, building stuff, my GTO, beer, law, good friends, beer and good times.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

Try some Chip McCormick magazines, my stock kimbers were a dissapointment.

#22 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:41 AM

Are there any tips on polishing the feed ramp? I'm having this problem with my 1911 as well.

#23 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:18 PM

well i took my rock and had it polished and the smith also did ultra sonic cleaning when he got done .what a differance and oh ya i load one less in the mag too .so far so good . . . . . .

#24 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

This has got to be something a guy can do himself can't it?

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

Yes.

#26 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

Dremmel tool, Soft cloth polishing pad for the dremmel, and some metal polish paste. Liquids like brasso can be really really messy.

#27 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Mayhem.

#28 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

yup had problems with both my 45's but polished the feed ramps no more problems. but i did have mor eproblems with the 230's then the 200's and 185's. an easy alternative is to sue hornady xtp hp's they have a narrow bullet nose and expand extremely well.but then again i am also fond of speer gold dot hp's they make a mess of a rabbit. also if you polish the feed ramp your 45 will feed just about anything you want to put through it.when i bought my Kimber it wouldnt feed GD hp's or some cast lead bullets,but no problems since feed ramp has been polished.Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users