• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

I could have swore I saw a thread on here showing a camera mount, but I can't find it. I'm thinking of trying to rig up a camera either to my Tikka or my AR. If it's the Tikka it would have to mount around the stock (I have found one by deer ridge that does this). But, if it's the AR, I would like to mount it using either the flat-top picatinny rail or the picatinny rail on top of the gas block.I'm also goin to be shopping for an inexpensive video camera that uses FLASH memory (SD card probably) to store the video. These types of camera's I think will work well with the recoil.Anyway, any input from you guys/gals is appreciated.

#2 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

ANY mount that you mount to your weapon will just end up with undesirable footage. Right at the money shot, the camera will jump from the recoil. Some jump more, some jump less but there is no way around this unless you are shooting a .22lr and even then there is a little.I would just skip the mount idea unless you just want to get footage of the animal coming in, but the kill shot will not look good and more than likely be missed, blurry or shaken.

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that. I'm actually not as worried about the money shot as I am about them coming in etc. I'd like to get some stills as well (which I can pull from the video).I just don't think I would have the patience to try shooting with camera/then dropping camera grabbing rifle and shooting. I MAY try to get my friend to go out with me a few times and have him operate the camera. He has no desire to shoot/hunt, but he may be up for cameraman. Then I could get the $$ shots as well.

#4 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

I found this Epic Stealth Cam on sale...it has an attachment that enables the user to clip the camera to the bill of your cap. It sounds good in theory...certainly better than being mounted to the scope but I haven't figured out how to use the darn thing yet. The instructions are not as clear & concise as I'd like and haven't really sat down with it for any length of time yet. Anyone use this item? How do you like it?Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

It certainly is a neat concept, but your head is still going to move from the recoil and the impact shot will be affected. I do like the fact that it will be looking where ever your head is turned.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:28 AM

Check out these posts and the camera mount used. It's made by a guy in Grass Valley, CA Ernie Olsen.http://www.californi...d...ost&p=76523http://www.californi...d...st&p=138877

#7 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

I tried those links, but The link to Ernie (the guy that makes the mounts) don't work anymore. ;(

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

If you'd like Ernie's email address I can give it to you. Just PM me as I don't want to post it where everyone can get it.

#9 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:05 PM

Thanks John, I MAY ask you for it. After looking at the pics, it looks like I already have the parts needed to make that mount.I picked up this camera today AIPTEK CamIt was cheap, but it looks like it should work. I need to pick up some camo vinyl adhesive (to eliminate that bright red/shiny color). I'll also cover the external speaker to eliminate the boot up sound it makes.

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

Ok here is my idea... what if you made a rifle rest from a Tripod. It will already swivel so that is a given. Then mount a bar coming off of it below the rifle that can hold the Camera say 3-4 inches right or left. Position the camera so that it sees full view of what you see through the scope. Now from what I see, the .223 and .204 and .17's have little recoil. So why wouldnt a camera mounted to the side work ? I have enough problems finding shooters that will go hunting with me, let alone a Cameraman? lol

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

Not sure if I follow your idea, but I know what you mean about bringing along a cameraman. Hard to convince someone not into this stuff to go sit out in the bush with a camera HOPING to get a coyote to come in.From the pics I have seen of the mount the airgun guys are using it involves the following:- A weaver/picatinny ring- A rail (the one I am going to try is the weaver rail made to bolt on the top of a 10/22)- A screw that fits in the bottom of your camera (just like the ones already on every tripod out there)The ring mounts to your existing scope but it is mounted upside down. You clamp the weaver part to the rail/base. Put the screw through the base to the camera. Seems simple enough and I actually have everything on-hand (though I think I will go get an extra camera screw).

#12 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

It certainly is a neat concept, but your head is still going to move from the recoil and the impact shot will be affected. I do like the fact that it will be looking where ever your head is turned.

There's a trade-off to every option I think. I selected this one for three reasons:1. It was on sale, small and very lightweight.2. Could keep both hands on the gun while filming and easily follow target with my head3. Easy download for youtube4. Has built-in mic for soundDownsides:1. Less than ideal quality even at high rez settings2. Will definitely be affected by recoil3. Might drop it and never notice till it's too late4. Kind of a PITA to use so far...could be easier-will take practice to use it effectivelyMy thought process is this. I care less about capturing the moment than I do capturing the critter so if the video is only good until I pull the trigger, that's fine w/ me. It seemed like the least intrusive option available.

#13 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

Ever heard the term 10gal of ____ in a 5gal pail lol...To be honest, trying to hunt and film is really tough. I've tried it and it's not easy to do no matter how you rig up whatever contraption you are using. If you just want to film and not worry if the critter is in the frame, in focus etc. it can be done but usually the end result clip isn't much worth sharing. By far the best bet is to wait for a buddy to come along and film so the clip is worth watching.I have one of these...go pro. It works well for it's intended purpose but stuff needs to be pretty close...it would probably work well for shotgun stands.I bought a nice HDD camera a few years ago with hopes of maybe filming a few hunts now and then...if I had to do over again I'd definitely buy a camera with a viewfinder. All the newer cameras with the screen displays are really tough to see an approaching critter in, especially with the desired sun at your back.We used to do some filming way back before anybody and everybody were marketing movies. We did it just for fun and to share with friends. We usually took turns filming between stands and managed to get some okay footage...considering the cameras we used back then which were nothing like todays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users