• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

I'm looking into getting some new boots and realized that I might as well go with some kind of snake boot. Are these heavier, bulkier or restricts movement? Thinking they would be heavier and more expensive, I was thinking of just getting snake guardz. Snake guardz(correct spelling from company :mellow: ) are cheaper and can be used when there are snakes present or taken off when an area does not have a healthy population.Which would you guys recommend, prefer or other suggestions...Posted ImageSnake Guardz

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:45 AM

I think the guards or leggings would be the best way to go. That way you could use them when you need them and take them off when not needed. I've worn leggings before but have caught hundreds of rattlers wearing my Birkenstock's and bare footed. Not smart I know but I was looking for the snakes and most encounters were on warm roads at night. I did have my share of venom sprayed on my feet and legs and occasionally had a slight reaction. But then again it was when I was younger and dumber than I hope I am today. In all my years I've been hit a few times on the pant leg but of those only twoI didn't see the snake first. I guess a healthy fear of snakes would be a safer bet but I love to catch them. :mellow:

#3 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:13 AM

John - you must be the original Crocodile Hunter! :lol:I've fallen into the stereotype of having a fear for snakes. I like the guardz, but knowing my luck, I won't put them on when I should...

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

If you live in CA I don't think you really need them, unless you plan on hunting for them. I have never used them even when I was hunting for them specifically. I spent a couple of years in Australia photographing both flora and fauna, and their herps are way more lethal than the ones we have here. Never used them there either.JMHO. db

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

John - you must be the original Crocodile Hunter! :mellow:

Not the original just stupid I guess. I had a friend die from a rattlesnake bite when we were kids. He had killed the snake and chopped off it's head but was swimming it across the river to show everyone and while re-gripping it stuck himself in the hand. Unfortunately he reacted badly to the venom and we were a long way from help on our bikes. It is a sad reminder of what stupidity can cause. I'd go with the gators or some kind of leggings and just get into the habit of wearing them. It's when you are over confident or not paying attention when disaster strikes. Nothing wrong with having a healthy fear of snakes I wish I did. :huh:

#6 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:28 AM

In my opinion, you don't need them in CA. You might consider them if you were dealing with them on a daily basis. I spent a couple of years in Australia photographing flora and fauna and dealt with a number of herps much more lethal than the US rattlesnake, but I never had, or witnessed, anyone else with a pair of snake boots.I guess if you intend on hunting snakes by stepping on them, they are a good investment.db

#7 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:47 AM

I don't know Bozsik I have seen a few rattlers out coyote hunting here in CA. Heck I think I should get some for golfing I seen two last year at Southridge golf course. But Joel if they are not to much money I think it would be a good investment better than haveing to go to the hospital or getting sick those snakes are everywhere it seems.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

Dave I hear what you're saying but I have to go with Jeff on this one. My reasoning for that is when you're hunting coyotes you're trying to be stealthy and probably paying more attention to looking for coyotes than snakes. Those gators won't help your butt when you sit down but accidentally stepping on or near one when your attention is elsewhere is always a possibility. Not so much in the valley but in the foothills they're everywhere. They love those golf courses don't they Jeff. I can't tell you how many time we had them in the holes, especially the young one when retrieving your golf ball. :mellow:

#9 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

if they are not to much money I think it would be a good investment better than haveing to go to the hospital or getting sick those snakes are everywhere it seems.

I'd rather be safe than sorry and would prefer to get some kind of snake protection. Just a matter of what kind.... Boot or Guardz?

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

I'd go with the Guardz or gator type leggings. :mellow:

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:28 PM

I have guards-never use'em but I have'em!

Then you're all set! :huh: I'll catch you a nice rattler and you can play tag with him. :mellow:

#12 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:47 AM

Everyone,Just remember, if anyone get bit in the buttocks, I'm not sucking the venom out! B)

#13 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

Well you no what ? :blink: Come to think about it :blink: them things are all over the place over on the coast central valley and the foot hills. And in duck blinds. :P Thumper came close a few times :P :( B) but I gues Im just ben lucky. I got to poke them with a stick. :lol: But I do not Kill ratle snakes. Enless it will make a good belt or hat band. :lol: But for the most part I see them first. Where can I get some legg things? :)

#14 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:14 AM

If your into Ebay, they've got some pretty good deals if you look around a bit... Some for as low as $20-$25. I think I'm going to get the Guardz too.

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:01 AM

I spent a couple of years in Australia ..... and their herps are way more lethal than the ones we have here.

Those browns down there are just nasty!

#16 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

According to Field & Stream:Average number of venomous snakebites in US annually- 7000 Number of those bites deliberatly provoked- 3000 Number of fatalities in US attributed to snakebite annually- 9-15 Average number of people who choke to death on ballpoint pens in the US annually- 100 Percentage of bites in which the snake fails to inject venom- Up to 50 Percentage of annual snakebite victims who are white males between the ages of 19 and 30- 75 Percentage of annual snakebite victims who had a blook alcohol level greater than 0.1- 40 Personally, I think snake chaps look funny. ;) Plus, I'm over 30 and I don't drink, so that right there pretty much eliminates my odds of getting snakebit.

#17 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

Those browns down there are just nasty!

Yes they can be if, you don't take proper precautions. Here are a couple of the ones I photographed in the outback. The first is a king brown @5.5 foot. The second is a tiger snake @3.5foot.dbPosted ImagePosted Image

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:37 PM

Personally, I think snake chaps look funny. ;) Plus, I'm over 30 and I don't drink, so that right there pretty much eliminates my odds of getting snakebit.

You'd probably have a better chance of getting hit by blue ice falling from airliner's toilet! ;)

#19 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:23 PM

I am with you joel on those leg guards i will pick me up a set if I find one at my local hunting store.When I hunt in snake country I am paranoid.

#20 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:53 PM

I don't use them but should. My hunting buddy almost stepped on one last year while checking out a rabbit that refused to run from us but I shoved him back and it was early in the morning and cold man was that Gerry mad and he's bigger than me until I pointed and the mojave green about 4 feet from him. Another friend of mine and I see them all of the time at night while crusing around on our quads shooting jacks.

#21 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:42 AM

Darn now I need a hard hat ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users