18 replies to this topic

#1 norcalkiller

norcalkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

i got 4 new sounds to try this season, anyone have any luck with them.1. quail distress2. kid goat distress3. raccoon fight,4. coyote pup on lightnin jacklet me know, thanks

#2 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:22 PM

Hey unfortunately i dont have a foxpro yet but i'ld like to give an opinion. I am thinking you'll have real good luck with the quail and kid goat. Why with the grass land of marysville and that particular area, their are lots of farm and more than likely they have goats or sheep. Which the coyotes in that area will have a taste for. And secondly, their should be quite a population of game birds out their and they are on the coyote dinner menu of easy meals. So coyotes should keen in on to those two sounds a little more. I think the raccoon would pick up the coyotes after those other sounds because of their suspicion to those kinds of sounds, so i think if there are a few curious coyotes in the area that should pull them in. Not to sure about the forth sound not to sure of the sound its implying. But honestly i think they should all have a positive outcome for you. let me know how they work for you after you try them im curious now. shoot straight and happy hunting. -Jeremy

#3 norcalkiller

norcalkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

thanks i agree, i plan on startin to do some calling pretty soon, i just got to get a little more familiar with my new ar-15 before i go out hunting with it. i'll be sure to post my results!

#4 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Quail distress works well on bobcats and coyotes. I've used it before.Lightening Jack and coyote pup are also good sounds.What do you intend to do with the racoon fighting sound file?You can't use an e-caller in CA to call racoons. Just an FYI

#5 norcalkiller

norcalkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

oh i wasnt aware of that, thanks for the heads up! i was gonna use it to call coons, mabey it will spark the interest of a coyote.

#6 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

thanks i agree, i plan on startin to do some calling pretty soon, i just got to get a little more familiar with my new ar-15 before i go out hunting with it. i'll be sure to post my results!

Hey if you need to get familiar with your AR. I need to get a little more used to my .22-250. If you got a free sunday lets go to the Lincoln rifle club and put some rounds down range.

#7 norcalkiller

norcalkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

i could do that, just not this weekend, im heading up to lost lake to beat the heat and do a little trout fishing! i've never been to that range, do you like it, don't you have to pay to shoot there?

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

Where is Lost Lake?

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

As popular as Lightning Jack is, I think that I have called 1 in with it. As far as the kid goat call, I called in a Bobcat. Good Luck !

#10 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

I like Jeremy's take on using local sounds that coyotes will identify with. I am amused at the "fighting racoons" even coyotes know that someone's gonne lose..."I will eat that one" thinks the 'yote.ps. I would be happy to meet you guys down in Lincoln. I have a friend that shoots matches down there often.

#11 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

pss. I live in a fairly remote part of south Nevada Co. I have coyote traffic like nobody's business. I would LOVE to host a "callin in" party. I would have to insist that unless someone has a tag we would "catch and release". If nothing else you could see what works.

#12 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

I like Jeremy's take on using local sounds that coyotes will identify with.

Don't get caught up worrying about what is "LOCAL". It does not matter. We kill a pile of coyotes with Prairie Dog Distress on the FoxPro and there isn't a Prairie Dog within 900 miles. We have folks in Virginia, Georgia and Kentucky steady killing coyotes with Jack Rabbits.Give the coyote some credit, but not too much. He doesn't care what it is that's dying or screaming. As long as it will make a turd and won't kill him, he'll come running.

#13 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

pss. I live in a fairly remote part of south Nevada Co. I have coyote traffic like nobody's business. I would LOVE to host a "callin in" party. I would have to insist that unless someone has a tag we would "catch and release". If nothing else you could see what works.

What do you mean have a tag? There is no tag necessary for coyotes.

#14 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

Where is Lost Lake?

If we could tell you that it wouldn't be lost!

#15 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

Braz, as a newbie I just wasn't sure what was required to take a coyote. Research continues and thank you for the info. I appreciate the feed back.

#16 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

Hey yall! I'll be busy this sunday august 16th. my sons birthday. And sunday august 23, im pretty sure i am open, who ever wants to shoot at the lincoln rifle range with me. Its an open invite, so bring you gun or gun"s" and plenty of ammo. Im sure we'll be there awhile shooting and getting to know one another. There is a fee to shoot there but its only ten buck and it lets you shoot all day. let me know who is interested. happy hunting and shoot straight everybody. -Jeremy

#17 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

Lincoln gun club, Sunday August 23rd. I'll bring a couple boxes of shells. You can't threaten me with a good time.

#18 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:23 AM

LOL. Sounds good buddy.

#19 norcalkiller

norcalkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

dont know if i can make the shoot the 23rd, its me and my girlfriends 1st year anniversary the 23rd and i got my buddys bachalor party the night before. have fun though.lost lake is right below sly creek res. wich is 10 miles before laPorte, on laPorte road. its a sweet place!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users