3 replies to this topic

#1 norcalkiller

norcalkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

seen a commercial for this benz atv silencer that just slips on to your stock muffler and greatly reduces exhaust noise, without a decrease in hp, and for only 160 bucks.so its easier to install than a stealth, its cheaper, and works better. so they claim. i was just wonderin if anyone here has used one or knows anyone who has.atvsilencer.comthanks for any input.
AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL!

#2 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

saw it as well...I too would like to know if anyone has had experience with it.
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#3 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

If you fellows want to replace engine parts later on down the road, go ahead and buy those "quiet mufflers". Do you remember the movies where a teenager puts a banana or potato up the exhaust pipe of a car and when the owner of the car starts the engine-bang! Well, it's not that extreme but it's close. Those silencers are so restrictive that your engine will suffer from overheating, due to too much backpressure. That's how those things quiet the exhaust notes. If you have a carbureted atv, the jetting will be off and you may suffer from a too rich condition which will contribute to a hot engine and increased wear on the rings, piston and valves. Most utility atv's are so quiet now that putting one of those on really won't make any difference. Don't believe their claims of no decrease in horsepower. Most of those claims are taken from the horsepower readings taken just above idle speed. I can almost guarantee that your atv will feel sluggish at any speeds above 1/4 throttle. If you feel that you need a quieter method of transportation-just walk in. If you use the many trails that are available to atv's, the animals are so used to those sounds that they won't be spooked by your atv's exhaust note.By the way, I've been a motorcycle mechanic now for over 15 years. Save your money for some hunting accessories. :)
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#4 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

I thought about trying one of these but honestly I think there's as much noise coming from the drivetrain as there is coming from the exhaust.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users