• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

These pics show my test of the Winchester 22 mag ammo with the 2200 fps tin bullet. My improvised ballistic media is composed of the fine clay mud that we have in the foothills. In the first pic you can see the bullet coming in from the right, shown as a very light silverish streak, about to impact the sandwich bag full of mud. If the bullet works that well on squirrels it will be a winner. Accuracy was mediocre in the 10" TC. The shot in the video was from about 25 yds. Don't know if this is typical in this type of test or if the bullet actually blew up.

Attached File  Frame_55.jpg   39.93KB   81 downloads Frame 55Attached File  Frame_63.jpg   39.54KB   61 downloadsFrame 63Attached File  Frame_73.jpg   38.96KB   54 downloadsFrame 73Attached File  Frame_93.jpg   39.16KB   54 downloadsFrame 93

These four pics were extracted from a video shot at 420 FPS. The time period covered is about 90 milliseconds. In that time frame the 28 gr bullet struck the 1.5 lb bag of mud and caused it all to start moving rather rapidly about the landscape.Link to Winchester announcement of Tin Rimfire BulletsMaybe one of you math whizes could approximate how much of the energy that the bullet carried was transferred to the target. I estimate that the impact velocity was 1950 fps. If anyone would like the video, PM me and state whether you would like the dial-up or broadband version and include your email address.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#2 pecci

pecci

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:52 PM

Thanks, A17Shooter. Do you have a picture of the round? Is it frangible or does it mushroom?Since it's only 28gr. and it appears to stablize well in the 22 mag, I wonder if they can also use a 28gr. lead bullet. That round would have more powder capacity, thus velocity could be around 2300fps! Am I right or am I missing something?

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:53 PM

pecci,I believe the limiting factor in the bullet velocity is the pressure generated by the powder. And that pressure, in factory cartridges, is limited by what the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute has determined will be safe for the firearms using the cartridge and the cartridge case. Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users