• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:40 PM

Ok My wife and parents are going to buy me a relaoding set up for my Birthday. Here are my optionswhat would be the best way to go. My dad Has a RCBS Junior Press he sais I can have. then they would Buy the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo . Or I can buy the RCBS Rock Chucker Master Supreme Reloading Kit IS the Junior press good enough? Or would you spend the extra money on the rock chucker kits? but then not have the nice chargemaster?Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:58 PM

Robert,FREE is always free and a hard deal to beat. But if I was starting from scratch again I's still buy the RockChucker Supreme Combo. It has everything you need to get you started except the dies. But you could use the Junior you dad is willing to give you and buy the ChargeMaster 1500. I have that particular powder measure and scale set up myself. In fact I had mine first due to a replacement thanks to RCBS. It's a hard system to beat and loading .223's you don't need a BIG press. I'd spend a little extra money and get the Micrometer adjustable dies too. You will never regret buying those. A little can of Imperial Sizing Wax and bullets, primers and powder and your all set.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

What he said. Even if you get a free Jr press, you're still going to need all that other stuff that comes with the RC combo kit. Now that I've been reloading for a little while, I've realised how long it takes to measure powder. I can set my Rock Chucker kit 505 scale and go pretty fast and it's very accurate, but it's not PERFECT. It takes a whole lot longer to slightly underpour each charge and then trickle in the exact weight. You just have to plan way ahead for a big squirrel shoot is all. The Chargemaster would come in handy for those mass quantity needs, but for typical hunting/shooting needs you don't "need" it. B)

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:09 PM

Robert,The Jr press is satisfactory for most uses and the chargemaster combo is a slick setup. But, you will need to trim those cases and a deburring/chamferring tool goes with that. Trimming is required for safety and accuracy. A primer pocket cleaning tool is needed to get the carbon out of the primer pocket. A case neck brush is necessary to get a little lube (very little) inside the case neck before trimming. I used to think I needed a Rockchucker but, I was making 7 BR brass out of military 30-06 brass at that time. :blink: Now, I'm sure that a lighter duty press would be satisfactory.Just my $ .02 worth.A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#5 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:12 AM

Don't forget a good caliper, and a powder trickler, and good dies, and a funnel, and a case trimmer, and .... you get the idea.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:57 AM

Did you make any decisions?

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:00 AM

Don't worry about buying too much equipment to soon. Sooner or later you'll end up with all of the essentials and of course things you'd never dream you need. But a RockChucker kit gets you going. Yes you will need to trim your cases as A17shooter mentioned and there are many ways to go about it. From very simple units like an RCBS trim die which you file the case mouth with. To a speedier inexpensive tool like the Possum Hollow trimmers which can be powered with a drill. Up to case very fast and precise trimmers like the Giraud I use which cuts to length and chamfers the case mouth inside and out in one step. You get a case mouth deburrer and mouth chamferer in the RCBS kit and it can be used on almost any case. As for primer pocket cleaning you get a primer pocket brush in the RCBS kit but I would upgrade it when you can to a carbide primer pocket uniformer. You'll probably need two as there are large and small primer pockets. But the brushes that come with the kits have both sizes. A uniformer actually cuts the primer pocket to a uniform depth and shape making for proper and more consistent primer installation and functioning. Then you can get a flash hole reamer which properly sizes the case's flash hole so you get consistent ignition from the primer. As Stiff Neck mentioned a caliper is really a must for checking things like case length and the overall case length with your bullet seated. You can also go into neck sizing dies and case neck reamers if you feel the need. After you've shot your cases a few times and they have stretched enough to require trimming you should consider annealing your cases to keep them from splitting or just get new cases. Most people I know never anneal a case and just replace them when the cases start splitting. Annealing can be preformed with a standard propane torch and a little reading for instruction. Automatic case annealers are available and I recently purchased a BC1000 from Ken Light Manufacturing to handle that job to make it faster and less tedious.The bottom line here is you can do as much or as little as you want when you get into reloading. It can be as simple as deprimming your fired case and inserting a new primer into your full length sized case. Pouring in your measured amount of powder and seating a bullet. Start off simple and make steps as you feel comfortable. I do many more steps than most people would ever want to do but I enjoy the procedure. Give reloading a try I'm sure you will find it to be a rewarding experience. There is a special satisfaction you receive when you take your first animal or shoot a good group with something you produced yourself.Happy reloading,ShooterJohn

Time waits for no one--

#8 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

Thank you guys for all the great information. I think I am going to wait until after taking the reloading class that starts this thursday.Then decide what I want to do. I am leaning towards the Rock Chucker kit. I will let you guys know what I decide.Thanks AgainRobert
Rocklin,Ca

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:19 AM

Robert,Don't let us intimidate you with all of this information. Reloading can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me if you like. Good luck with the class. Maybe I should give a reloading seminar myself. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#10 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:33 PM

It's a kick in the pants reloading your own ammo and then shooting it successfully. I'm enjoying it. I just powdered and seated 550 rounds today for my Wyoming PD trip. :D;):o It's empowering. Total cost for 550 rounds? $121.00 even. Posted Image

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:54 PM

How many rounds you taking to WY?

#12 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:20 PM

WY is just a one day side trip this time while I'm out that way seeing family. So I'm bringing 550 rounds of 223 and when I run out I'll have 550 rounds of 17HMR for backup. I think that will be enough for one day...

#13 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

Ordered my RCBS relaoding kits today went with the Rock Chucker Kit. Got a smoking deal straight from RCBS facotory 2nd for 124.00 delivered. I will be ordering a tumbler and a few other things next week curtousy of my parent for my Birthday. Hope to be reloading by next weekend. Shooter John can you pm your recipe for the V max loads thanks Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#14 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:51 PM

Hey Robert:Good Choice and happy reloading, watch out it is addicting :(
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#15 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:41 PM

Awesome! Welcome to the club! Now you can spend quality time with your gun toys without leaving your house!

#16 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:15 PM

Got my relaoding stuff from RCBS like two weeks agao. Then palced a order with Cabelas for vibrating case cleaner and a few other things. was suppose to be here today and no show I almos ran the UPS lady down when she did not stop the wife just lol at meCalled cabelas delivry was rescheduled for tommorrow so hopefully i can try to reload this weekendRobert
Rocklin,Ca

#17 Rick

Rick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:43 PM

Got my relaoding stuff from RCBS like two weeks agao. Then palced a order with Cabelas for vibrating case cleaner and a few other things. was suppose to be here today and no show I almos ran the UPS lady down when she did not stop the wife just lol at meCalled cabelas delivry was rescheduled for tommorrow so hopefully i can try to reload this weekendRobert

Two things I needed when I first got into reloading (over 30 years ago) and didn't have was a kenetic bullet puller and a stuck case remover.Happy HuntingrickP.S. Invest into a couple of reloading manuals such as Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, etc. and READ the instructions and "getting started" proceedures PRIOR to reloading. Also if you can get some "hands on" experience with a veteran competative shooter/reloader that would be a definite plus.

#18 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:33 PM

Well? Inquiring minds want to know. Do you think it's worthwhile? Have you tried your loads?A17Shooter

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:37 PM

I can answer that. No, he's been busy and is on Vacation or going on vacation very soon. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#20 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:37 AM

I can answer that. No, he's been busy and is on Vacation or going on vacation very soon. :lol:

Thanks John I have been doing some maintnence and repir work to my boat to get ready for my Eagle lake trip.I did go to Orville to fish for Salmo on Tuesday and stopped and picked up a case trimmer at RCBS The deluxe kit with everthing was only $60 out the door a factory 2nd the lady said most likely not a 2nd just used at a show. IF you ever need equpment I recommend callign RCBS ans sking if they have 2nds I paid 200 for Rock Chucker deluxe kits Well Hope to get some reloading done soon . Thanks again for the help and asking how it was goign Robert
Rocklin,Ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users