8 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

This is my home job hog skull I don't think it came out to bad just lost a few teeth but they are not important.Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,213 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:41 PM

Looks good John. Just glue the teeth back in.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

I agree it does look pretty nice :angry: Did you degrease it? Definitely glue the teeth back in B) I put them in a bag so when they fall out, which they almost always do... I dont have to try and sift thru all the different teeth to find which ones go with what skull LOL..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

They did fall out ch Some how I lost some must have been when I kicked the bucket over.I put the teeth in a cup and soaked them in bleach and water. then I used CA glue to glue them in. No i did not degrease it I am thinking on soaking it in vinegar to get some of the smell off.I was surprised when I looked at it at 11 days no meat was in the bucket it rotted and evaporated.It was hot here so that helped a -lot.Why send the skulls out when a bucket of water works.I am not putting down Beatles just saying it as it is.

#5 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

Shoot-it, masceration (soaking the skull in water and letting nature takes it's course) is a pretty good method for de-fleshing a skull, but the smell associated with the process will cause the neighbors to wonder who's buried under your porch unless you have the land to get away with it. Also, as far as smell, since it's been soaking in it's own juices for awhile, the skull will stink as it has soaked up some of the fluid. After I beetle clean a skull, I use the poor man's degreaser (Dawn dishwashing liquid). Use clear and let it soak and it should drop the smell a bit and get some of the grease and fluids out of the bone. It takes awhile (3-4 weeks), but it works.Nice pig by the way!

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,213 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

Shoot-it lives at a Dairy it smells bad there already. :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

Make SURE you use the clear soap as Switch stated, otherwise you will have a blue or green tinted skull..Once degreased you shouldn't have a smell.. It will take a bit too.. Best is to put it in a bucket with a heater, and let it set for a few weeks. Depending on how greasy it is. An aquarium heater works real good.. Then whiten it :smiley-funny-post-sign:
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

Shoot-it lives at a Dairy it smells bad there already. :roflmao3[1]: :smiley-funny-post-sign:

depends which way the wind blows :roflmao3[1]: I will soak that skull again in soap thanks for the tip.Oh those bottom teeth don't really stick that far out I see the tricks that taxidermists can do :wacko: .

#9 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:53 AM

That's the truth on the artistic license some take with the pig mounts. I saw a photo a taxidermist took of a 100-pound (maybe) boar he shot a few years back. The teeth were about an inch long. He had the photo mounted next to the mount of the pig, which now had 4-inch tusks, a snarl and piercing yellow eyes. The thing seriously looked like a beast with a 400-pound mouth and a 100-pound head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users