8 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:20 PM

I got my packet in the mail to start the process for applying for my CA CCW permit. If I can't get it in CA I am still going to take the Utah course which is accepted in MO when I move back. Right now I only have a Sig P220 (45 ACP) and it's a little much to conceal. Anyway, I am soliciting input for a good concealable pistol. I really like the decocking lever like on the Sig's and H&K's. I also like the option of being able to shoot single or double action. My knowledge on pistols is limited, I really own mostly long guns. I am willing to spend around $800 plus all these blasted CA fees.Thanks.

#2 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

Any of the titanium and airweight S&W revolvers are pretty nice to carry, but they HURT to shoot. They're NOT range guns. Try a Glock 26 9mm or a Glock 27 40cal, hard to beat and the price is right. They're indestructable, 10-round capacity, easy to shoot, etc etc. I have a Kahr P9 9mm in blackened stainless which is similar to a Glock 26 but is shorter, slimmer, and lighter. Mine has functioned perfectly so far, but I've heard recent complaints about quality control especially in the 40cal pistols. They also make a PM model which is even smaller than their standard models, but it's too small for my big hands. My P9 is a pleasure to shoot at the range, and it's very accurate too.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:20 PM

Here's a few smaller carry guns I grabbed out for comparison in size. You'll recognize the P220 Sig in the center. These are older guns so the models have changed. I'll just tell you the calibers.Posted ImageTop L to RRuger Police Service-Six .357 with a Colt Python barrel called a "Cougar"Smith & Wesson Model 60 Stainless .38 SpecialSmith & Wesson Model 37Airweight Hammerless .38 SpecialMiddle L to RSmith & Wesson Model 59 14 shot 9mmSig Sauer Model P220 45 cal.Smith & Wesson Model 36-1 3 inch .38 SpecialBottom L to RSmith & Wesson Model 60 bored to .357Walther PPK .380 ACP

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:04 PM

My personal favorite, and the one I carry, is a S&W 642 in 38 Special and can shoot 38+P. It is a 5 shot cylinder and only weights about 17 oz loaded. I can easily carry it in the front pocket of any pair of slack or shorts, given they have a decent pocket. With todays personal defense ammunition, I think 5 shots is all I will need. I am not a law enforcement officer and am not going to be getting into shootouts. Some of the small pistols, like the Kahr P9 mentioned above are great also, but I like the reliability of the revolver. Pull the trigger and it goes boom. Every time!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

Thanks, guys. I am still shopping as I havent made up my mind yet. I am hearing some awesome things about the 357 Sig and am considering it real hard. With a simple barrel change I could start shooting .40's out of it.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:27 PM

I have a fairly large selection of handguns but you almost need to handle them to see what you like. Plus most of mine are twenty or more years old. I like the small wheel guns like the S&W Mod 60 due to reliability. Autos are nice but when it comes to down and dirty it's hard to beat a wheel gun. With +P ammo there'd be no one standing but me after the hammer drops.

Time waits for no one--

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:55 PM

I really like the wheel guns, but most of the compact models just dont fit in my hand. I dont like it when I can't get my pinky finger on the grip.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:03 PM

You'd like those Cougar's I have. I have them in two, four, six and eight inch barrels and the actions are glass smooth. Those Python barrels are my favorite. Plus being .357's they have a fair punch.

Time waits for no one--

#9 mrkubota

mrkubota

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:firearms/shooting, flying, music:<br />http://music.download.com/stratusgospel

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:40 AM

For a pistol, my favorite is the Sig P-225... I tried a P-239, but the grip was a bit too short for my hand. (I don't like my little finger hanging off the end either.)The S&W 4014 or Sig P229 would be next, the 229's a little heavier, but will accomodate 357sig bbls too.Then the S&W 'L' framed 686+ (7rnds of .357) or 696 (5rnds of .44spl)Last, are my 'N' framed 4" M-27 and 5" M-29A more exotic compact is my 10mm EAA 'Witness'. Rudimentary sights that can hang up on clothing is the only reason I don't CCW with it. One of these days I'll get them replaced with Novak style low-profile types.a reference pic:Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users