Photo

Can someone give me some advice on this particular bow?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

Hi Everyone,I found this link to this bow but am not sure why it is so cheap. Is it suitable for hog hunting? Just asking some of you professionals out there!Thanks!Elhttp://www.fsdiscoun...oftherings.aspx

#2 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

I've heard that model is deadly on hobbits ;)

#3 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

Gosh Timmy, I like Hobbits. So, can you suggest a good "cheap" one? ;)

#4 spectr17

spectr17

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

Bows have to be 40 pound pull minimum to hunt with per CA DFG regs. Most states have this same requirement.

#5 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

Hahahahahahaha...you guys are funnnnnnny. Get yourself to an archery shop and pull on some 50, 60 & 70lb bows if you're serious about hunting pigs.

#6 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:13 AM

Sorry Elderberry, I was just being silly. I've never used a bow.

#7 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:56 AM

Thanks Everyone! I am pulling about a 34 lb right now. Almost to a 40 lb! I appreciate your advice!And thanks to the hecklers! You just wait til I put those pics up of me and those hogs someday! :tinfoilhatsmile:

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

PM sent Your going to need a 40lb to be legal. A 40lb bow will put a good broad head all the way thrugh a pig good shot . Not some 600lb boar but a 100 lb pig no problem.

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

Hahahahahahaha...you guys are funnnnnnny. Get yourself to an archery shop and pull on some 50, 60 & 70lb bows if you're serious about hunting pigs.

Shoot a real bow at 70 with out the training wheels. :smiley-outta-here:

#10 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

Thank you Thumper; I almost forgot! Look at you shooting them real bows without training wheels! You rock! :smiley-outta-here:

#11 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:18 AM

Good luck Elderberry - keep us in the loop on your decision.Looking foward to those pictures!

#12 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

Thank you acousticmood! I will let you know! Everyone has been pretty friendly here.

#13 leftfoot

leftfoot

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:50 PM

If you're looking for a bow to hunt pigs you better shoot a 50 lb or heavier. I favor recurves but know folks that shoot them with longbows. make sure you can handle the bow and that you practice constantly.

#14 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

Thanks Leftfoot! I hear conflicting lb weights over hitting a pig. I have heard 40 but then I was told today as long as I can shoot 130 yards, then I should be fine. We'll see the final outcome and I'll be sure to post those pics!

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

A 130 yards with a bow is waaaaaay out there. Maybe with a compound at least 70 pounds. But even then go to the range and look at 130 yards. It isn't done by expert bow hunters. I can tell you you won't be shooting but maybe half of that distance.

#16 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:38 PM

Alright Shooter John, I appreciate your help and advice. I thought that sounded a little too far fetched as well. Anyway, I hope to learn all I can from you and the others on here. Thanks so much!El

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

You'll do just fine after seeing that monster bow you were pulling earlier. :D

#18 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

El, 40# is the minimum to hunt big game but not always the best poundage. You can easily take a deer with that poundage but shot placement is key, if you hit a bone you'll be looking for that animal for awhile. The key is kenetic energy which is obtained by the combinatin of arrow weight and arrow speed, for avage sized pigs 40# might be ok, but if your shot is just a little too high and or forward you will hit the thick cartilage and get almost no penetration. I think heavier draw weight is key to throwing the heavier arrows reqired for enough kenetic energy to let the air out of those bigger pigs effectively. Good luck El, Ron

#19 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

Thank you Ron! Yeah, I was told the bigger the pig then I had better hit it good. I guess they have this kind of plate like material under their sking, the bigger ones, that makes it hard to penetrate with a lighter weight. I have learned so much more than I ever thought about hog hunting. But can't wait to actually do it! Thanks again Ron!El

#20 leftfoot

leftfoot

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

Good Luck, And be sure your broadheads are SHARP and your shots under 35 yards.

#21 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

Will do Left Foot. Thank you for your help! :D

#22 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

Thanks Leftfoot! I hear conflicting lb weights over hitting a pig. I have heard 40 but then I was told today as long as I can shoot 130 yards, then I should be fine. We'll see the final outcome and I'll be sure to post those pics!

Excellent bowhunters might go 60 yards but most guys are shooting 20-40.

#23 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

Thanks BC! I'm learning alot and your about right on those specs! Looking forward to my first hunt this year! Can't wait! :blush:

#24 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

Keep asking questions El im learning too :angry:

#25 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

Thanks homemade! I will. Learning much from everyone!

#26 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

Hi Elderberry. Have you heard of "snap shooting"? My grandfather (old Navajo tracker and guide) taught me the art of snap shooting with the long bow when I was a child. Basically, it's used during stalking, which you will need to learn before you go hog hunting. You spot your prey, hopefully you have intercepted his route, close the distance without being detected to within your killing zone, point your arrow and bow at the animal, then draw back rapidly and quickly release the arrow once you've come to your jaw bone. Of course, this kind of shooting requires alot of practice and should be done from various positions (standing, kneeling, squating, from a tree, etc...). If you belong to an archery club that has 3D targets, that would be the ideal way to practice. Without knowing the distances, walk up to the shooting line as if in a stalking mode, point arrow and bow at the target and quickly draw and release your arrow. You could also buy yourself a 3D hog and take it out into the field and use a hillside as a backstop. I've taken alot of hogs in the Coalinga area with different types of bows and by far, the long bow is the most challenging. Good Luck and keep practicing. :)

#27 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

Thank you fakawee! You sound like you know what you are talking about! I have being going to the trails with the 3-D targets and used several different positions. It is challenging but I know that is the real deal when it comes to hog hunting, I will have to be fast and be able to shoot from some hard angles. I will keep at it! Just put down some money today on my first LongBow! Can't wait! I'm getting it built! I will put up pics once I have it! :)

#28 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

they have this kind of plate like material under their sking, the bigger ones, that makes it hard to penetrate with a lighter weight.

Those gristle plates are indeed tough. The plates on Clampdaddy's boar were probably a good 1" thick! Make sure you have a fast arrow but you don't want to go too light or it will lose it's kinetic energy rather than keeping momentum while smashing through skin, plates, bone, etc.

#29 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

Thank you Lilwes! I have been hearing that as well! I am looking at some arrows that someone makes that have some purple heart wood towards the tip with the gold artillery tips! You should hear those whizzing through the air! They are awesome!Thanks again! :)

#30 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

"I've heard that model is deadly on hobbits" :rolleyes: I am still laughing at that one.Long bows and re curves are mostly used for the challenge of it or for the fun of it.If you want to be serous shoot a compound.Just look at the Indians they gave up the bow as soon as they put their hands on a rifle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users