Photo

Can someone give me some advice on this particular bow?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:22 AM

Thanks Shoot-it! But look at who gave them the rifle; the White Man! I'll stick to the bow traditional that is! :tinfoilhatsmile:

#32 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

I say if you can ethically kill an animal with a longbow or a recurve, go for it. Adding that extra little challenge to yourself makes the hunt even more rewarding when you're successful. Take the people that hunt pigs with dogs & knives for instance, there's a ton of hunters that can say they've killed a pig with a rifle or a bow, but how cool is it to say "yeah, I killed that hog, with a knife..." :)
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#33 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Right on! Lilewes! Right on! :)

#34 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

"I've heard that model is deadly on hobbits" :roflmao3[1]: I am still laughing at that one.Long bows and re curves are mostly used for the challenge of it or for the fun of it.If you want to be serous shoot a compound.Just look at the Indians they gave up the bow as soon as they put their hands on a rifle.

Come on now Kimosabe! Not all us Injuns gave up the bow-we just got tired of chasin' them arrows and making them broadheads. :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#35 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:35 AM

Fakawee! You so bad! :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#36 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:10 PM

Where in the F$%# are we ) that's why I don't hang around Indians they always get lost. :signlol2iu: I am looking into a compound.

#37 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

You buy a compound Johnny and Thumper will never speak to you again. :signlol2iu:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#38 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:11 AM

Shoot it! Now Indians getting lost? Hmmmm... go to your bow with your training wheels little boy; if you need it so badly. We grown ups will use the primitive bow! :signlol2iu: Shooter is right! Thumper will diss ya if you get a Compound Bow!

#39 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

You guys can keep your long bows I don't plan on shooting any hobbits any time soon :good: :good: Elderberry haven't you ever heard that joke ?Where in the blank are we )It's about an Indian that gets lost it is funny but i can't tell it on here. I bet I can get thumper on some wheels it's only a matter of time.I think he is tired of chasing his arrows.

#40 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

Whew! Shoot-it!Guess I haven't heard that joke!Thumper will never go to the dark side, will ya Thumper?Keep ya training wheels and we'll see who comes out ahead at the end of this year with the most kills. You up for it Shoot-it? :good:

#41 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

Elderberry we can do that all I have is a old martin wart hog bow but I think i can kill something with it not a Hobbit but a squirrel it will do.Oh man I need to stop ok this is my last lard of the rings bow joke.I just could not help it. :good: :good: I like primitive bows to. I tried making one out of locust wood but I broke it before I could tiller it.I just found a huge tree that I think is Osage .I do have a butt load of Muleberry but this tree has thorns that almost made me :)

#42 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

If that tree has thorns it's probably a locust. They have serious thorns but the wood is very hard and rot resistant. They made fence posts from them because they lasted so long.

Time waits for no one--

#43 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

O.K. Shoot-It. Don't be shooting the hobbits.Let's see how well we fare this season.....Making bows yourself? Quiet adventuresome of you... :good:

#44 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

Shooter I will talk to shoot it He has a dairy thats next to a river And some one will have to teach him to shoot.. :eck05: . And Osage has thorns on them . Hurry up and cut a limb off if its loucust that will still be good.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#45 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

Yes that's true so you don't want a competition while you city boys and girls are working I will be shooting squirrels rabbits and carp bring it!I am pretty sure it Osage I looked the up the leaf on the internet. http://www.oplin.org/tree/

#46 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:14 AM

I ain't no city girl! :eck05: Looks like we gotta little competition going....may the best woman or man prevail! :tinfoilhatsmile:

#47 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:09 AM

John, it could be Osage it just isn't as common out here as it is in the Midwest. But we have lots of Locust out here. I believe you if you looked it up. Better watch out if it is Osage as Thumper will cut it all down. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--

#48 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

For long bows out here in CA the indian choice is manzanita. Ever try to bend a green branch big enough for a bow? Think about one properly dried and cured. There you have a long bow. The word for that wood was 'iron wood'.

#49 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Thank you TonyS! Never heard of that! I'll ask around at the range.Elderberry! :smiley-outta-here:

#50 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

It is very, very difficult to dry a manzanita branch without getting splits in it. It cracks very badly when drying.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users