• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

HI, I'm looking to buy another safe and really hate the time it takes to open the combo on my browning S & G lock plus now that I almost have to get my reading glasses to see the numbers, but I have heard that the electronic key pad locks fail and your locked out, has anyone had trouble with the electronic locks ?? Thanks Dave

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

I'd stay with a combination lock you can always open it without problems. Set a pair of reading glasses on the top of it you old fogey. ;)

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:14 PM

I like the electronic lock. It is very fast and easy to use. The safe came with two keys that can be used if it fails. I had one time it got a hickup but I just put new batteries in and it worked fine. I was the idiot that always fought with my combo lock back in school. In 8th grade I had to get some girls to help me open my school locker because I just could not figure those things out. Eventually I got it but even now I still sometimes struggle with those dial combonation locks. If you go to fast on some or if I'm not exactly on the numbers when the tumbler goes in it won't open.

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:54 PM

I owned a safe with a mechanical lock for over 20 years and earlier this year bought a bigger one with the electronic lock and it is so much more convenient. No more spinning the dial 5 times to clear it, then going to the first number, then going past the next number twice to the second number and then going past the second number once to the third number, then turning the dial until it stops and then turning the handle. It's just beep,beep,beep,beep,beep,beep and turn the handle.

#5 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

I paid the extra for the electronic lock with no regrets. If fact the one that came with the safe had a malfunction and Browning stood behind the warranty and sent out a complete new lock. I love it!

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

But the question is, when the lock failed, were you able to get in the safe, or did you have to call for help? I also have the electronic lock on my safe, but sometimes wonder what I'm going to do when it quits working.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

I don't own any with an electronic lock obviously or I wouldn't be asking this. So you have a key to open them. Keys are pretty easy to pick in my experience. What am I missing?

#8 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

I don't own any with an electronic lock obviously or I wouldn't be asking this. So you have a key to open them. Keys are pretty easy to pick in my experience. What am I missing?

I have had electronic key pad for 9 years with NO problems!!!!

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

I have had electronic key pad for 9 years with NO problems!!!!

Yeah but when you do have a problem you're up a creek without a paddle. If these electronic keypads have a backup key then someone tell me why I can't just pick the lock? I can pick a lock easier than opening a decent combination lock. Reasonably sophisticated lock picking equipment isn't hard to come by or make for that matter. Just go to Youtube and put in lock picking.

#10 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

I have a Liberty safe. I was going to get the mechanical lock to save money, but decided to get the electronic lock for convienence. I love it. It's been three years and I have had no problems with it. It uses a 9V battery, and I change that once a year along with the smoke detectors so I don't forget.I also have a pistol safe in my car. It's electronic too, and has fingertip buttons for quick access.

#11 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:35 PM

I deal with the S& G locks every day for work.They almost never fail and the ones that do are mainly 30 years of heavy use before they do.My friend owns and makes the Sturdy safe brand and he wont use the electronic locks he does not like them.If a customer requests it he will install it but he never does on ones hes building unless its asked for.I have a small fire safe with an electronic lock on it batteries went out a few times but other then that no problems.S&G locks are awesome. you will never see one fail.

#12 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

When my electronic lock failed so to speak, there was no problem you can still get into the safe. Mine works off a 9v battery, so I just need to keep one handy. It locks in your combination, so if the battery fails or something else goes wrong you can still access your safe. I had the same worries until I had the problem and found out my worries were unfounded. I can only speak for the Browning safe, but I believe the electronic locks are only made by a few manufacters, and they are only a phone call away.

#13 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:10 AM

S&G locks are awesome. you will never see one fail.

My electronic lock is made by S&G. You can pull the face off to access the battery. If someone tries to break it off, it keeps the safe locked.

#14 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:04 AM

the ones I have looked at have no backup, lock fails your out of luck. and as far as being old your right but I think were the same age

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

and as far as being old your right but I think were the same age

I'm two years older than you. I wear reading spectacles when opening my safes. :roflmao3[1]:

#16 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

Mine doesn't have a key back up.

#17 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:51 PM

A Key they can be lost and as SJ said Picked the style that locks the dial is a wafer lock and can be picked with 2 paper clipsWant a nice lock that has no need for a battery look at a Auditcon 2 Serieshttp://www.mas-hamil...e=auditcon_mainThe lock I'm thinking about installing is the S&G Biometric Keypad right now its a AMSEC ESLhttp://www.amsecusa....ronic-locks.htmhttp://www.sargentan.../prod_elect.phpThe Biometric Keypad brings the security and convenience of advanced fingerprint lock operation to the 6120, 6123, and Z02 electronic lock models. Available in brass, chrome, and 24-karat gold plate.I can understand why SJ would stay with dial it has its points and elec safe locks do also they all have there shortcomings as far as security a friend that has a nich shall we say works with DOD and the lock I think that they use is a Kaba Mas X-09 http://www.mas-hamil...?page=x-09_mainX-09™ High Security LocksThe X-09 is Impervious to External AttackThe new X-09 High Security Lock is a third generation electromechanical lock. The X-09 was developed in conjunction with the US Government and meets FF-L-2740A, the US Government's highest security standard for container locks and doors.Approved by the GSA for use on approved Class 5 and Class 6 Filing Cabinets and Class 5 and Class 8 Security Vault Doors. The X-09 is self-powered using PowerStar™ technology. A twist of the dial provides all the power necessary to enter the combination, as well as review audit features. The X-09 provides all the benefits of high-security electronic locking while maintaining the reliability of a mechanical lock, independent of batteries or outside power sources.The X-09 offers three modes of operation, and it features Automatic Lock Reset, High-Security combination scramble, and resists all forms of external manipulation and environmental attack.It is mostly a cost factor A safe teck said people are funny they will spend 7 grand on a Sub Zero Fridge to keep there lettice cold bout are too cheap to spend the right amount of money to protect there guns and other things that arent replaceable PS the old saying about you get what you pay for is Very true on safes Most old safes drill like Butter and China made well that's easy money!On the electronic safe locks you can also get some that will connect to your security system as well as a locksmith that's My :crazy:

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

Thanks Stan, I knew you would have some good info. I'm just old fashioned and I knew the technology was out there if you can find it and afford it. :good:

#19 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

Stan those locks are fun I played with one in school and its interesting the speed you turn changes when the numbers will come up so one day it might take you 2 turns and if you slow down how fast you turn it might take 4 turns to get your number.One day I might put one of those on my safe I have a dial right now but when I can afford it might change.

#20 JagerBulldog

JagerBulldog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

Will the Electronic lock work if hit by and EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) weapon?

#21 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:13 AM

Thank You All for your input, my wife setteled it when she bought me a liberty with a electronic lock, I have to say I love it after dealing with the combo on the browning for more then 20 years, I guess if sometime down the road the lock fails I'll post another topic on how to get in a safe with a broken lock. thanks again, Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users