• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 savageHMR

savageHMR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:target shooting, varmint hunting, boating, fishing, horses..

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:19 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Savage 12VSS? I'm thinking about a longer range rifle and considering this one in a .223 or a .308.Scott

#2 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Killing Varmints

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

Do you mean the BVSS?? All of Savage models with 2 digit numbers are the short actions and are the same. The letters differentiate the style of stock. There are some differences like barrel lengths and weights and finishes but that is the basics of them. I think you will find most people like the Savages, especially the Accutrigger models. Same as your 93 if its a late model. I shoot a 12 FV with a laminated stock added, in 204. Great rifle, getting a second one soon I hope. 223 or 308 are fairly different as far as what they can do. But the beauty of the Savage system is you can change barrels if you feel so inclined. Just figure out which suits yours needs better and get that one. I don't think you can go wrong with a Savage.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,343 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:31 AM

He's right there is a 12VSS. See the link below.http://www.savagearms.com/12vss.htmI like the NEW Long Range Precision Varminter myself. If I was to buy another long range squirrel shooter it would be my first choice. I've had the pleasure of shooting one and it is a factory tack driver. I shot my reloads with a so-so scope on the gun and was able to shoot a sub 1/2 inch group at 200 yards. That's pretty accurate in my book for any gun and I do like the AccuTrigger for its quality of manufacture and ease of use.http://www.savagearm.../12PrecVarm.htm

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 coolvarmint

coolvarmint

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Killing Varmints

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:41 AM

It looks like they just changed a few things. The BVSS is with the lami stock. The choate is an aquired taste. There are 2 different Choates IIRC. Super heavy stocks. I shot, one not bad just not for me. The LRPV is the bomb!! The first factory left port gun, and the straight barrel is impressive looking. Im sold on Savages.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,343 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:46 AM

The LRPV is the bomb!! The first factory left port gun, and the straight barrel is impressive looking. Im sold on Savages.

You and me both. :lol: :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:01 AM

I didn't know the LRPV was a single shot. $967 MSRP, too. Great reviews on it, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users