8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

I have a 2000 chevy s10 4x4 that is lifted 4 inches which I use to go down trails, gravel and dirt roads, etc. I saw some tranny fluid leaking about a week ago and I finally got it into aamco today. They did the diagnostic for free, and found that the leak was coming from the hi-low transfer case and it only cost me $60 for them to repair it. They also said there was a tiny leak in the oil pan and they would have to pull the whole transmission out (HUH!?! since when?) to fix it and it would probably be about $700... anyone know about this oil pan business on chevy trucks?I also have to change my right CV axle soon. I already got a new one. One of the boots is ripped and it was almost the same cost to buy a whole new axle as to replace one boot and it would actually be MORE work to change just the boot. I am hoping to do this myself anyway.

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

It sounds like the gasket needs replaced.Did you ask them why does the tranny needs to come off for a leak?

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

Sorry to hear that... May want to at least get a 2nd opinion. Ask other people if they can recommend a good repair shop. Good LuckFrank

#4 B-ZONE

B-ZONE

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

AAMCO is full of SH!T....they tried to ripped off my neighbor for oil change and lube.....hondas don't need no lube STUPID AAMCO.....i'm a honda machanic....i know....i went with my neighbor back to AAMCO and they said it was all a mistake.....I suggest u to get a secong diagnost from somewhere else...

#5 Brian

Brian

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

To replace that oil pan gasket pays 8-10 hours labor plus the gasket. You have to remove the front diff or the transmission if you want to remove the oil pan completely. However if they are going to change the gasket it takes about 30 minutes to drop the pan down and inch and splice the oil pan gasket.

#6 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

don't take anything to ammco!!!!! they tried to hit me years ago on a $400+ reseal job on my '72 chevy...another shop replaced the $5 part that was leaking... and didn't charge me for it....they'll offer you "financing"...

#7 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

I will tell you that it almost impossible to replace an oil pan gasket on my 350 without removing the motor or crossmember. Get a manual and do it yourself.

#8 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Ya, I took my truck in there to get a servo replaced (06 Silverado), 4l65e tranny.... They fixed it, to the tune of $150 (the part was only $14) and neglected to tighten the bolts for my exhaust... both the catback and the header... WTF? how do you forget to tighten bolts like that, they said they did a test drive, was the mechanic blaring the radio??? I could hear the thing leaking the second I fired it up, those guys are morons!

#9 Ranger Al

Ranger Al

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

If you were in Fresno area, I would have offer to replace it for you! You may have to get a case of cold beer and good hunting story. But I am sure it would be well worth the trip.STAY AWAY FROM AMMCO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users