9 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

I know a guy that has a 44 mag blackhawk flat top he might sell me. I was wondering if it can be drilled and taped for a scope mount.

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

The flat tops are supposedly one of the easiest to drill and tap because the top strap is so thick and the smithy has a nice flat surface to work with. But.....if it's an original flat top you'll ruin the value of it. I have used a scope on my .44 a couple times but to be perfectly honest they make the gun feel like a motor home with worn out shocks on a curvy road and they are almost worthless unless you have a good rest and your target is perfecly still.

#3 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

Have you had any luck shooting off sticks. I am not positive it is a flat top.

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

sticks work pretty good if you can put your back againced something solid and rest your elbows on your knees.

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

I wouldn't drill it. I have an early Super Blackhawk (3 digit) that I foolishly drilled. Like Clampdady said, the value is gone.

#6 BDOG

BDOG

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

Both hands free hand & hang on. Drilling it will ruin the value and you still will not be able to hit anything. If you practise you will find it is pretty accurate. Get some trigger time and enjoy that beast.

#7 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:08 PM

My father, brother and I all have old model Flattops and they are great guns. I've carried mine as a sidearm for big game hunting for years. Once you get used to them they are deadly accurate and super reliable. Whatever you do don't tap it, you will ruin the value. I can't remember the exact number of flattops made but it is something like 29,000 for the old beast. Enjoy. After you get used to it you'll be able to shoot it great. I shoot mine sillouhette style with one hand and can do pretty well. Shooting Weaver stance is just a bonus. Good Luck. P.S. There is a guy on Ebay that sells old blackhawk parts that are original. I think he's from South Carolina or something like that.TyP.S.S Hold it tight but let it rock back in your hand. They are made to rock in your hand a little when you shoot them. They're definitely not a 9mm so give with them a little bit and you'll have better luck.

#8 mstuck

mstuck

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Ruger old model single actions

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

Ruger is making flat top blackhawks.50th anniversary model. Its just about the same as theirold flattops with the newer lockwork.Id drill and tap one of those instead.

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hey you do not need a scope for that sticks work great. I can hit pie size targets at 100 yards with mine on sticks. Well two years ago I did. Do not drill it. Be sides how can you fast draw with a scope on it. :signs1180lq: . John get it . 44s are not that hard to shoot. But are a blast.

#10 ECVMatt

ECVMatt

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

One more vote for not D&Ting the Flat top...If you want to scope a Ruger, look at their hunter models...Flat tops are getting rare and should be preserved in original state, but shot a lot...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users