33 replies to this topic

#31 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

Is that galvanized metal safe to smoke you meat in.I know when I weld it I need some fresh air .

#32 mojohand

mojohand

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:58 AM

I'll throw my plug in for the Bradley smoker. I just got one about 3 weeks ago and have used it every weekend since. I've done ribs and chicken breasts so far. It is fantastic! I used to have a big barrel smoker. This worked well, but you constatntly had to fiddle with it...add more coals or wood chunks, open or close the dampers, etc. This as close to set it and forget it as you can get. It automatically advances the wood bisquettes every 20 minutes. I went with this one, rather than a different electric smoker for that reason; I don't want to constantly tend to the smoker. You do have to use their propietary wood bisquettes, but this isn't as big a deal as it has been made out. Yes more expensive than other wood chips/shavings, but the trade off in convenience is well worth it to me.

#33 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'm dragging up this old thread since it's a hobby of mine to smoke and grill.

I built a couple UDS's and gave one away. One is still in the garage, unused.

I'm kinda overstocked on smokers at the moment. My daily smoker/grill is a Bubba Keg
Posted Image

I also bought an offset type smoker from Texas a few yrs ago and like most of you, I have a gas grill.
Posted Image

Also in the garage and unused, is a brand new BSK2000, a stripped model of the Bubba Keg.
Posted Image

I was really getting heavy into smoking, but my last checkup, the doc said my chloresterol was a bit higher than normal and to knock off the fats. So, it's chicken and fish mostly now. Goodby ribs, briskets, pulled pork.... :signs684mh:

Back to the smokers. If a guy doesn't want to put the work into old style with a charcoal/wood fire but wants a 'load and forget type smoker', and has a limited budget and isn't handy, a Bradley or similar is not a bad way to go.

For a guy with a bigger budget but the same load and forget desires, Cookshacks are among the top smokers.

An ugly drum smoker can be built by someone that can run a hand drill. You can google UDS plans and find a ton of them. The issue with a UDS is the same as any vertical smoke: grease drips down on the fire and makes acrid smoke like the guy experienced above. If you taste it, you'll spit it out. It's that bad with fatty meats you have to cook slowly for a long time like brisket and pork butt (shoulder). The way to cure this is to put a shelf in with an insulator (pizza stones work well) then a drip pan to catch all the grease.

I've been using a setup that eases the workload and assures temperature control and provides a graph of the cook temp.
It's what's called a draft controller. There are many available, mine is a Stoker from Rock's BBQ. It provides air based on a thermocouple feedback to the control box, which drives a fan for air. You manually get the fire started and get the temp coming up close to the desired temp, then set the controller and it takes over. Theres also a meat temp probe that will sound an alarm. All of this can be hooked to your PC, or not, and monitored remotely online, from work or just in your house.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The offset type, popular in Texas and the south, are often home made from heavy propane tanks or by commercial builders from new steel like Lang, Klose, Gatorpit, and hundreds of others.
There is a lot of ways to go in the bbq arena.

#34 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Nice photos and great setup you have there Chuck! :good: I had one of the Texas type of smokers I got for free from a member on here. It had seen better days but I manufactured some parts like grills and welded up a new wood box for it. I really liked it and took it to our beach place to use. Some low life SOB stole it off my rear porch after I did all of the work to fix it up. :censored[1]: We have a very old Kamodo smoker that works well enough. I was going to build an ugly drum smoker but couldn't find a decent barrel when I needed it. I have looked long and hard at a Cookshack and my wife said just buy one. But then I'd have to have her family over because I wouldn't be able to eat everything that came out of it. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users