14 replies to this topic

#1 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:31 PM

I'm thinking of buying a rifle chambered for the 223rem with a 16" barrel. How much accuracy would I be sacrificing with such a short barrel? What other disadvantage does a 16" barrel bring?

#2 drewh

drewh

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

At that barrel length you would probably find a 221 fireball more efficient, and would likely get comparable velocities. It is also likely to be quite loud.Drew

#3 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:41 PM

I always thought barrel length when at least 16" does not affect accuracy only velocity. I've also read a 16" barrel will sometimes be more accurate then say a 20" barrel because its more rigid and shows less flex when fired.Im sure ShooterJohn will comment soon.
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

I believe 18" is the shortest legally allowed on a rifle barrel?! About the only thing you are likely to lose is velocity.... perhaps around 150 fps in a 223 between an 18" - 22" barrel. I've recorded as much as 140 fps loss on high intensity/velocity calibers with the barrel just 2" shorter, but that is not the norm with many, if not most calibers. That was on a 257 WBY mag.I've shot 20" 223's that were extremely accurate, so semi doubt much, if any loss in the accuracy dept?!Good LuckFrank

#5 hawk eye

hawk eye

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:04 PM

look into DPMS their 16' ar 10 model will do sub moa so it'll probably do the same or better in 223

#6 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:53 AM

I'm thinking about this Ruger which has a 16.5 inch barrel and weighs in under 6 pounds.Posted ImageI'm basically looking for a light rifle that can I walk with comfortably for a long time. All my "varmint" rifles are really "bench type" guns that weigh a ton! I'm also thinking of a single shot falling block, which should be accurate, light and a longer barrel should be less clumsy due to the shorter action. The longest I'd probably feel comfortable reaching is about 200 yards for dogs.

#7 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:51 PM

I'm thinking about this Ruger which has a 16.5 inch barrel and weighs in under 6 pounds.Posted ImageI'm basically looking for a light rifle that can I walk with comfortably for a long time. All my "varmint" rifles are really "bench type" guns that weigh a ton! I'm also thinking of a single shot falling block, which should be accurate, light and a longer barrel should be less clumsy due to the shorter action. The longest I'd probably feel comfortable reaching is about 200 yards for dogs.

I know Mr Mister doesn't speak kindly about Ruger rifles :( I owned but sold a Rem 700 LVSF 223 and it was a light, varmint, stainless gun with a fluted barrel :( No really...It's one of those guns that I wish I didn't sell. Accurate and light, but not a praire dog gun because of the thin barrel. Its a perfect dog gun though.
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#8 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:42 AM

Steve,You'd hate looking into my gun safe then :( Its full of boat anchors :(

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:25 AM

Joel, why do you have a safe full of boat anchors? I keep mine in the boats. :( :(

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:06 AM

My boat anchors hate the water :(

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,683 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:13 AM

My boat anchors hate the water :(

I bet they do! :(

Time waits for no one--

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:26 PM

Well I killed a buck with my boat anchor it works fine for me.It was one of those 270 anchor types.... :(

#13 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:10 PM

joel1316,Seems like only one thing left to say. Why don't you get a TC carbine? You could have a gun that weighs about five lbs with a 16.5" barrel and many calibers between 17 Mach II and 45-70.Just a thought,A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#14 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:44 AM

I've considered a Thompson, but there is just something I don't like about how you have to break open the action to load??? Its a personal thing I guess :lol:

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,683 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:39 AM

I've considered a Thompson, but there is just something I don't like about how you have to break open the action to load???

That can be a pain when shooting from a bench. I mean you can get used to it but it isn't conducive to bench rest quality shooting as you're constantly having to adjust the gun.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users