• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:39 PM

Now that deer season is here, well archery A zone anyhow.. I Just wanted to let everyone know I do buy deer capes. Must be average size buck or bigger, nice hair, not all cut up. No cut throats. Must be fresh and properly cared for. And they need to not have that shedding look going on. Occasionally a early season buck will be useable, but its usually the later season capes that I need. I dont expect anyone to have any deer capes right now, but later on if you dont want your cape.... Give me a call or send me an email.I prefer them cut LONG.. as in go way back behind the shoulder at about where the rib cage ends.., make your circle around then tube it forward... I will skin out the head, clean up the antlers and give them back to you. Or bring in the whole deer I will skin it out for you.. This allows me the option to do pedestal mounts.. I can always cut off what I dont need.. Also in the late season I will be looking for a life size complete skin.. If it was born with it, it needs to be attached to the skin. I need this one to be very nice, no major rubs, clean ears if possible. Prefer no splits in the ears. IM looking for a competition skin so it needs to be a nice one.. Any size buck will do. But prefer an average size or bigger. Im also interested in a doe cape or life size. Very clean no damage etc. It will be for competition so again must be nice.. So if you happen to luck out and get a doe tag... Save me the cape/skin! I will pay cash or give you a credit towards the cost of a future mount. For those wanting your deer or anything else mounted, I do accept payment plans with no interest, and I also accept trades towards mounting costs.. For example. I have a great little Jack in the Box decoy that I gave a credit for towards the cost of a future mount... actually from a member on here :smiley-funny-post-sign:...It doesnt even have to be something hunting related but I am more inclined towards that stuff... I will be looking for a nice small accurate shooting hand gun for personal use. and also a deer rifle. IM thinking maybe 270 caliber but open to offers.. all guns must be transferred legally. I figured Id post this now so later on this year hopefully you will remember that I need capes! :pot: Good luck this season!

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

Rae, got a couple of questions. First off, what do you consider an "average size buck." Lots of folks have different ideas so an idea, pound wise, would be helpful. Also, after we skin the animal, how should it be taken care of, how long away from a freezer, like if we are on a hunt with some partners. Also, how do we get the skin, head and antlers to you? Inquiring minds want to know.

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

In Calif 3 point or better buck generally will have around an 17 to 19 in neck tight behind the ears.. Sometimes Ill have one come in that is super small.. Such as a small fork.. Calif deer arent very big so it doesnt have to have a big rack to have a useable cape.. As for proper care... You want to get it skinned out as soon as possible. Once the deer is dead bacteria immediately starts growing.. IN the cooler months you have more time but when its hot out it should be done soon after you harvest the deer. And dont drag that deer... THe hair will get broken off.. if you must drag your deer have someone help you and each grab an antler lift the shoulders up off the ground... sounds hard but its really not.. then you want to spread the cape out in the shade so it will cool down. keep the flies off best you can..they will lay eggs so fast its amazing and maggots are definetly not something I like to see.. a mesh deer bag is good. IN the summer heat you would need to place in in a ice chest But without allowing the skin to become wet. Water isnt good for it.. If you use dry ice do not let the ice come in direct contact with the skin,. it can cause freezer burn. If you know how to split the lips, eyes, and split and turn the ears then you can do that and salt the cape.. Dont roll it up, leave it spread out so the blood will drain out.. If you salt the cape do not freeze it.. You do one or the other, do not do both.. Ive had guys drive in with the head in the back of the truck.. Which is fine as long as its not hot out.. If it is hot put in on ice.. A hot truck bed is not where you want your cape laying.. It can cause the hair to literally fall out.. To get them to me.. you can just bring it in fresh or freeze it then bring it in.. (yes you can place your whole head antlers and all in the freezer..) Set your head into the freezer, then once its cooled down warp the head in garbage bags leaving just the antlers exposed.. squeeze out as much air as you can.. Or if you are shipping it, Make sure it is double wrapped so no fluids can leak out. Place a final large bag over the whole thing antlers included if still attached.. When you are ready to ship it, pack it well with insulation (house insulation works very well) crumpled up newspaper also does.. If you know how to skin out the head you can do that and then just lay the antlers in with the cape... Bubble wrap works good for protecting your antler tines.. The insulation needs to be packed all around so that the cape/antlers are not bouncing around in the box.. You can also ship in an ice chest. If you use a Styrofoam ice chest be sure to put it in a box.. if you use a regular ice chest tape it very very well with heavy duty duct tape so it does not open and remove the handles.. (UPS charges extra for handles) Ice chests can be found cheap at garage sales.. and make excellent shipping containers. You also need to place your deer tag in a zip lock baggie to keep it clean, and tape it to the inside of the box.. or leave it attached to the antlers if its already on there. Wrap it with plastic to protect it either way. If you are shipping the whole head make sure it is well frozen and then insulate it same as above.. again protect your antlers, Priority is usually fine during cold months but if its super hot Id sugggest using over night or 2 day Fed ex. And always check to make sure that it wont arrive on a weekend.. My post office is closed weekends.. I suggest shipping monday moring, or whenever it is that the mail runs at your post office. ALso always call and make sure someone will be here.. Come deer season I will be gone hunting sometimes.. If you ever have any questions you can always just call :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users