• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:21 PM

My dedicated hunt rig is a 1981 old full sized Jeep. I thought I's post some photos and point out some rig features for the benefit of the new guys in the sport. Mine ain't fancy but the old dog hunts real well. Here is a brief profile of MY DEAR "Jezabell".Attached File  1.jpg   18.5KB   39 downloadsThis front photo shows the added lighting. The driving lights for dark back roads and below the bumper are my "creeper" lights. The creepers are pointed down and give just enough light to run trails without spooking nearby animals.Attached File  2.jpg   16.96KB   30 downloadsThe rear photo shows some added backup lighting. There are two tractor lights pointing down and a rectangular quartz lamp in the middle. They come in handy when backing up in rough country.Attached File  3.jpg   31.65KB   29 downloadsThe engine is a straight six (258 cu. in.). It's not a powerhouse but it keeps the rig light and has a bunch of low-end torque. I ditched the old carb, smog pump and a bunch of vacuum lines when I janked it all and installed Mopar multi-port fuel injection system. I had to because the old gal would not pass smog with the old electronic carb. Then the manifold was hitting the brake booster so I had to go for a Hyda-Boost braking system. The sucker will stop on a dime though. I also installed a 3-core radiator and some other goodies to increase performance and MPG. It is a rebuilt engine that runs very well.Attached File  4.jpg   29.55KB   26 downloads Here is a photo of the cab. It shows a gadget bag for my hunt partners odds & ends, a home-made center console for hunt stuff and some extra instrumentation, including a dedicated charging indicator for the rear battery that feeds power to all of the hunt related lighting and electronics. Attached File  5.jpg   15.1KB   23 downloadsThe photo of the roof shows the Nevada hatch, my spare fuel containers (8) and the rifle rest surrounding the roof area. Sandbags (6) are set all around when calling for easy access.CHECK OUT PART 2 FOR THE INTERIOR STUFF
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#2 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

Here is the interior of the old gal.Attached File  1.jpg   26.94KB   22 downloadsThis photo shows the underside of the hatch, some of the rifle racks on the driver's side, a plywood roof console I made that holds the CD player & MP3 amplifier for the under-body speakers, the top of the hydraulic hunting chair for the hatch (on a portable base so it can be removed for sleeping in the rear of the rig), easy access scent spray bottles, howlers, red & white interior lighting and you can barely see the top of the axillary battery by the seat back.Attached File  2.jpg   22.59KB   21 downloadsAnother interior view shows the spare water, cook box, cooler, and a better view of the battery behind the driver's seat. The underside of the roof console also has two 12-volt cigar lighter receptacles for hunting lights. Attached File  3.jpg   22.37KB   20 downloadsThis is a rear photo of the passenger side. It shows the shooting seat base, rifle racks, a couple of decoy sets hanging on the overhead, fire extinguisher, shovel, hatchet, and some Home Depot carpenter's aprons that I affixed to the side of the rig to hold small items like tail cutters, rubber gloves, laser pointer, etc.Attached File  4.jpg   21.91KB   21 downloadsThis is a complete rear view. When hunting, the hatch is pulled off and bungeed to the bar that holds the cooler and cook box in place. All loose gear is stowed on top of the cooler and cook box and held there by the hatch. Everything is removed for sleeping. The rear is floored with 3/4" plywood, padding and carpeting. That's my little rig guys. There is a bunch of small stuff such as under floor storage, etc. I hope the new guys will benefit from this overview of a hunt rig. It ain't the Ritz but I love the old girl. She takes me way out there and always brings us home.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#3 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

Very nice, Red. Thanks for showing the rig.

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

looks pretty nice. I'll bet hatch hunting could be a bunch of fun.

#5 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

Good looking Rig, and a bunch of inovative Ideas ! :huh:
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#6 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:56 AM

Ya thats a real nice set up.

#7 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Hogs, upland game, deern coyotes.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:32 AM

That is an awesome truck. If Ted Nugent and McGiver had a baby, it would be you. Kudo's my man!

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:53 AM

WOW! That's the best complement I could every want. Thanks....LOL

#9 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

Hey Red that is one awesome hunting rig, I am amazed how you made everything come together and fit so well. Nice Job!

#10 Barticus

Barticus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Hogs, upland game, deern coyotes.

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

Did you do your own cammo job on it? And if so, could you explain how you did it? Thanks

#11 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

That is a nice hunting outfit you have. I like the old rigs, they are reliable if you do your part, and I can still fix them when I have too. I am lost when these new one's dont run right.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#12 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

Cool Rig.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,145 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

Where do the gun bearers and beaters sit? :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#14 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:07 AM

What no cable or dish hook up? :good: .Realy nice set up. :good:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#15 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

Hi Red, very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

#16 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

Hey Jim, I thought you were going to meet up with Red and buy his rig? Is it now your?
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#17 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:45 AM

Hi Braz, I wanted to take a look at it and I may get around to it but after seeing all the photos I will probably wait. I'll use what I have for now.

#18 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

That is one sweet rig.

#19 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

Heck, JimT, for a guy that hunts with a 4-wheel drive Lexus, buying my rig would be quite a step out of your comfort zone. And yes, I do mean that literally. That Lexus rig must really spoil ya :signtripledogdare2wf: I really can't see you driving a 1981 full sized Jeep Cherokee Chief. You'd go into amenity withdrwal :751: .

#20 Broncowilly

Broncowilly

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, collecting/restoring military vehicles and military firearms collecting.

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

Red, I've seen rigs set up for hunting and then there is this! This is like a four wheeled bass boat. You've got it all and set just right. Very nice and very cool! Thanks for sharing.
Now, don't try to get away! I am more muscular, more cunning, faster, and larger than you are, and I am a genius. Why you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten.

#21 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

Heck, JimT, for a guy that hunts with a 4-wheel drive Lexus, buying my rig would be quite a step out of your comfort zone. And yes, I do mean that literally. That Lexus rig must really spoil ya :signtripledogdare2wf: I really can't see you driving a 1981 full sized Jeep Cherokee Chief. You'd go into amenity withdrwal :751: .

Sadly, Red, I think you're right. It has spoiled me and it's a 4x4 and supposed to get me almost anywhere I'd want to go. It has a built in 3" suspension and much more. I rarely get out and try not to go anywhere I'd need 4x4 but if I needed to the Lexus GX 470 is a fancey 4Runner and the 4Runners have received excellent reviews for off-roading. I'm happy with what I've got. I actually bought it for camping and off-roading and the best thing, it's paid off.

#22 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hi Red, it does still interest me. Jim T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users