8 replies to this topic

#1 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:20 AM

I had a case failure in my .17 HMR a while back. I had some pictures here somewhere. I contacted Hornady about it, they were very interested and had me send the lot # and the case to them. Turns out this was a very old lot of ammo, some of the earliest production. I tend to buy large amounts when on sale and squirrel it away, so that didn't surprise me.They determined that the rim portion had had some defect in the material or was drawn to thin. They claimed to have never seen this in a bolt action rifle. I recieved this information in a letter from them. I was satisfied, the only reason I talked to them was because I was curious of the cause. (was it my rifle, etc.) Anyway, unannounced yesterday I received a couple new boxes of ammo from Hornady. They didn't have to do that and I didn't expect it, but it sure is nice to know they like to keep the customer happy. Kudos to them.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

I had a similar positive experience with Hornady. I had bought some 6mm Spire Points and when I went to reload them I was not getting consistant lengths on the finished load. Drove me crazy. Cleaned the rifle's chamber, checked my seating depth gauges over and over. Same result. I then measured the length of several bullets in the new box and found the cannelure was different on some of the bullets in the same box. Opened another new box, same lot number and same thing. The bullets were 6mm and they all weighed the same.Contacted Hornady and explained the problem. At first I think they thought I had somehow mixed bullets from different boxes. They asked me to send the 3 boxes, one still unopened, back to them. A couple weeks later I received 5 new boxes of bullets and a letter explaining they had changed the cannelure on that certain bullet and some of the old must have gotten mixed with the new. Anyway Hornady was thankful I brought this to their attention and they sent me 3 new boxes of bullets for the ones I sent and 2 extra for my troubles.And yes, I measured the new ones and they were all the same.Frank

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

When the V-max bullets first started appearing for reloading I bought several weights. I had one box that the plastic tips were missing from a few of the bullets. I took a picture of them and wrote a quick note that I sent to them along with the photo. I really liked the product and thought they should know there might be a problem. About a week later I received letter and a box of 250 V-max when I had only purchased 100's. Pretty nice of them to do that. I sure hope they can come up with a non lead V-max.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

That's great. I almost exclusivley use Hornady bullets so I'm really glad to hear that the folks over there are as good as their bullets.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#5 DBAR

DBAR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

That's good to hear!!!I shoot Hornady exclusively in my .17HMR, .243 and my .308Its nice to see someone taking care of there customers!!!

#6 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:38 PM

Hornady used to drive me crazy. Back in the 80's they used to put 101 bullets in every box and I would always have a bullet left over after reloading.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

I wish they still did. That extra bullet was nice to have when you make up a dummy cartridge for a length reference.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

LOL one time when I was finishing off reloading my last 50 V Max, I got Mad.. they shorted me by one Bullett! So I used a different bullet of the same weight but different brand. As I put the last shell into the Box.. I slapped myself in the forehead... # 50 was in my dummy cartridge... lol
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#9 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hornady used to drive me crazy. Back in the 80's they used to put 101 bullets in every box and I would always have a bullet left over after reloading.

the last hundred v-max I used had 101, have fun Stephen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users