• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

Kinda wanting to pickup a single shot pistol style to throw in the truck. Startin to occasionally see yotes when out on a remote property that are givin the goats a hard time. Was thinking about picking up a chep 243 since I already have a 243, one that I could just leave in the truck, but I am startin to think a handgun 243 would be cool. I was lookin at the Magnum Research Lone Eagle or the Savage Striker. Are there any legality issues with having these in CA? Anybody have a recommendation or any experience?

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

Friend of mine has a .17 Rem in a Thompson Contendar & is one sweet firearm. I think I would get one in .17 fireball however, giving even less muzzle blast & muzzle jump while still maintaining plenty of velocity.Good Luck Frank

#3 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

There aren't many restrictions on any type of single shots in California. Are you going to scope it?

#4 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

Might I suggest getting a T/C Encore then you can use many different barrels. You can get a 243 barrel for it if that is what you are looking for. I have one with 223/257roberts(sweet shooting)/308win/454casull barrels. I would also suggest a 2 or 4X leupold scope(or burris as second choice) for it. I tried the variable scopes but found better success with a straight 2X on the 454 and 4X on the others. I am planning on getting a 204ruger/6.5X55 barrel and maybe a 500S&W barrel in the future. All of my barrels are 15".If you would like you can come by and try out any/all of my combos for my encore to give you an idea of the way they would work for you.

#5 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:03 AM

Recommend a Contender or Encore in 17 Fireball or 17 Remington for coyote at ranges 200 and under. This way you can use a rifle scope when shooting from the cab. Something like a 4.5 - 14X scope. Mount a Bipod for the occasions when you find a flat surface to rest on. The recoil from a medium rifle caliber, such as the 243, moves the gun around too much for me. The XP's and Strikers are good accurate handgun but, the bolt action gun makes an unwieldy package.Posted Image The picture shows my TC Contender with the 12" 17 AH barrel. I would consider it to be a 150 yd coyote pistol as shown.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#6 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:09 AM

Hmmm, cool, well thanks for all the replies, now I definitely have something to think about. I saw a smokin deal on a Remington model 700 youth in 243, debating which route I wanna go, could pick that and throw a low powered scope and a tupperware stock off a SPS and chop the barrel down to 16 and call it a day too.... Decisions decisions....

#7 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

Seems like you always come up with a wide variety of choices when posting questions on CPC. B) B) :roflmao3[1]:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#8 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:59 PM

Ya, too many choices and not enough money to buy them all... B) I try to explore all possibilities before I purchase something so Im not kicking myself in the :roflmao3[1]:

#9 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

Remember that the Thompson Contender pistol barrels marked 45 LC/ 410 are illegal in CA due to the CA short barrel shotgun law.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#10 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

I gave up trying to find a Savage Stryker or Remington XP100 in California and ended up getting a Thompson Contender SS Encore Pro Hunter in .22-250. have not figured out what to scope it with yet though. it will be a back up squeak blaster and coyote buster (if I can ever call any in).

#11 bwiese

bwiese

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

There aren't many restrictions on any type of single shots in California.

In CA, since 2006, single-shot pistols have been exempt from Rostering issues as long as they're "dimensionally compliant" - which means they need 6" min barrel length and 10.5" min. overall length (measured parallel to bore).So this includes a whole suite of pistols - like T/Cs, Remington XP100 types, the Mountain Eagles, as well as single-shot-uppered 1911s like the Springfield Armory SASS and Pachmayr Dominator.And we are using this law to bring in single-shot-status AR & AK pistols too :D - which are later converted back to semiauto fixed-mag non-AW pistols after DROSing. (Perfectly legal). Bill WieseSan Jose, CA

#12 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Trucks,Firearms,Computers,Doberman Pinchers

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:59 PM

I personally have an XP100 in .223 and I like it very much.I'm still working on a load for it, but using FMJ just to get an idea on where it would group it was 1.250 at 100yds off a sandbag.I think the 7mmbr was even better using factory stuff out to 200.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users