5 replies to this topic

#1 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

I just picked up a Rem 700SPS 308. I do want to use this for hunting and not just bench shooting. I would like to zero it at 200 yards and adjust from there. I will also shave the stock (float the barrel) and bed the action to increase the accuracy. What scope do you like and suggest?

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

Well, there is only one type of scope (everyone else just doesn't know it yet), and that is:A ZEISS, 3x9 Conquest Zplex. Bear Basin Outfitters is one great source & the shipping is free. Ok, I'm just a tad partial... BUT with good reason! Anyway, I also like (& own) Leupolds. Nikon's are also very nice. As always, price tells the story on their quality. Don't get the cheapest model in any brand & no need for the most expensive either; unless you just want to that is... Then a Nightforce will fill that (expensive) bill. Actually, something like a 3 1/2 - 12 or 4 1/2 - 14 power scope may also work since you state you'll be shooting at 200 yards. Not sure exactly what you'll be hunting either, so???Good Luck in your decisionFrank

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

For hunting a 3X9X40 Duplex Leupold or a 3.5X10X40 Duplex Leupold will do whatever you need in any weather year after year. I have about 15 of them and have shot game from 5' to 600+ yards(which is too far to be shooting game under normal conditions). Stay away from a the AO types and all the other gadgets and sight it in about 2.75" high at 100 yards then hold center mass for any shot you should be taking and you will have a dead animal. There is alot to be said for the K.I.S.S. princpal(sp) when hunting scopes are being considered. Not every animal is going to give you 20 min to make 15 adjustments before shooting(like on the TV shows).This has worked well for me and many others for more years than I care to admit too. If you have lots of cash then a Nightforce scope is great. They are like a leupold on steriods. I have 2 high dollar Nightforce NXS on my 50bmg's and like them but they are really overkill for a hunting gun. I have seen too many other brands go bad after the first bad weather of hunting season to use anything other than a leupold for hunting. The exception is a fair weather gun such as for varmits where 1) it is used only in good wweather and 2) if it screws up I have another for shooting that day or it is not a big deal that I must stop shooting and go home. When it matters get a leupold.MY 2 CENTS

#4 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

I think allot of it depends on how much you wanna spend. I put a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 and I love it, great clarity, and can change the settings on it when playing at the range, return it back to zero and the bullet is back where its supposed to be.If your gonna use it more for hunting depending on the ranges you'll be hunting at could get a 3-9x40 too. And don't forget, don't skimp on the rings/bases either, a great scope wit a crappy setup will shoot like a crappy setup. I put on a DNZ game reaper 1 piece mount and love it, hasn't lost zero yet, and its lightweight!

#5 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:55 AM

Leupolds here.. If you plan on long range shooting, which IM guessing since you are zero at 200yrds then Id suggest havin a scope built so you can just dial it in for whatever distance you want.. The Best of the West (online) Can do your scope for you. Its really nice.. Hubby had them do his.. And it is awesome.
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#6 JagerBulldog

JagerBulldog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

+1 on the Leupold. Get a 3x9x40 with the LR reticle. Zero at 200 yards, it has drop marks for 300, 400, and 500 yds. Or like CH said, get a custom made scope and dials. Depends on how much money you have to spend.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." -General George S. Patton Jr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users