• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

I saw a 22-250 cal. Howa Axiom M1500 in full camo color for sale at the range store tonight. It's got a heavy 24" barrel with a 1:14 twist. Selling for $950 without a scope. Anyone ever shot one of these rifles? If so, does that strange stock really absorb recoil? Most of all, is it accurate?

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

Legacy Sports shows it for $899... not much difference I guess?Nope, never shot one, and yes it is definitely a strange looking stock... Too strange for me! Plus is a 22-250's recoil really a problem? Especially for coyotes? Might be for full day of praire dog shooting, however? I'm sure the accuracy would be fine. Most 22-250's in that price range should shoot well.Good luck in your decisionFrank

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

Check other places out you might get a new one a bit cheaper. Same 1500 but in that stock.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:06 AM

The biggest drawback that I see is the weight. My friend has one in .223, and it tips the scales at about 13 lbs. Kinda heavy to tote around hunting coyotes. I guess I'm spoiled with my 6 lb tikka..lol

#5 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

The Knox axiom is a howa 1500 barreled action mounted in what they are calling a recoil reducing stock.That stock is not very effective at reducing recoil and since it moves when you pull the trigger accuracy is debatable. Save yourself about 200.00 and get a Howa 1500 in a Boyds laminated stock or a bell and carlson fiberglass stock. if recoil is a concerned put a good brake on it and you still come out much cheaper than the Knox axiom.

#6 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

save your money. i held one at Scheels in Sparks and that thing i heavy. personally i just purchased a new Tikka in 243 this afternoon with all the goodies. even with a muzzlebreak and gunsmithing i am still under the 899.00 for the axiom and the Tikka is way lighter.my 10 day jail sentence started today @ 11am.

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

Good Luck with your Tikka !

#8 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

save your money. i held one at Scheels in Sparks and that thing i heavy. personally i just purchased a new Tikka in 243 this afternoon with all the goodies. even with a muzzlebreak and gunsmithing i am still under the 899.00 for the axiom and the Tikka is way lighter.my 10 day jail sentence started today @ 11am.

Not to mention I think the Tikka is way better overall.

#9 river rat

river rat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:38 PM

Yah they are pretty good varmin rifles. My buddy has one in .223 and we traded rifles one day and shoot the hell out of each others rifle and his shoot great. We were shootin golf balls a 250 yards. :closedeyes:

#10 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:52 AM

For half that you could buy a new Savage, then put a nice scope on it.

#11 nohobandit

nohobandit

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

Yes, I have shot the Howa Axiom. A few years back I was involved in getting that rifle made. The original rifle was in .308 and the original Axiom stock was aluminum. The gun shot .36 at 100 yds with Federal GM308M ammo. The new Axiom stock is synthetic and is considerably lighter. As far as recoil reduction, the Axiom stock works great. Hope this helps.

#12 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for the info fellows. The reason I'm concerned with the recoil is that I had a total shoulder replacement of my right shoulder back in October of last year. I've been shooting my Socom M1A, Benelli 12 gauge shotgun, Barrett .338 Lapua Mag and other heavy calibers with my left shoulder. I'm argueably really good shooting lefty (depending on which of my shooting buddies you talk to) but feel more comfortable shooting with my natural right shoulder. I can shoot any of the .223's but when I shot a guys Rem 700 22-250, it put a sting in the new shoulder. I also have a Rem R25 in .243 cal. that doesn't seem to bother me but it has a recoil buffer like all the AR15 based rifles and is now being outfitted with a muzzle break by my gunsmith for use in the next coyote season.I was looking for a 22-250 that would suite me without having to shoot it left handed. Thanks again!

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

I was just in Utah hunting with my buddy who swears by his axiom in 22-250 but after carrying his around for him all weekend ( he's in crutches for a few weeks) I would go with a lighter gun and put a muzzle break on it as suggested above. :) Ron

#14 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

The Axiom stock does indeed reduce felt recoil. My proplem with that stock is the amount of recoil reduction vs. the price of the stock. Example: Howa axiom heavy barrel .308 cost about 1000.00 here in california. The same howa 1500 barreld action in either a boyds stock or a hogue stock is only about 600.00 difference= 400.00. The cost of a well designed brake plus instillation is less than 200.00. A good muzzle bake does a much better job of recoil reduction than the mechanism in the knoxx stock.With a conventional stock and a good brake you get better recoil reduction and save at least 200.00 and depending on the brake you could save more.

#15 Colebert

Colebert

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Fitness, Gaming, and snowboarding

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

I bought the Howa Axiom chambered in the 22-250 and I love the gun. The guys are right when they say the gun is heavy, and the stock doesn’t really make that much of a difference. I took the gun out of the box and shot a few rounds through it and cleaned it before I zeroed it in. In six shots I was one inch high, and shooting a group that could be covered by a dime at 100 yards.

#16 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:29 PM

If it works for you, and you enjoy it, thats all that Matters. Good Luck !

#17 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

Got an email from blackhawk (www.BLACKHAWK.com) the other day. They have the V/S rifle stock on half price sale. MSRP $589.99 on sale for $294.99. Thats a good price but still more than the U/L stock, which can be had for around $200.00. The stock fits Remington 700 BDL and Weatherby Vanguard /Howa 1500, Short or Long action. I know the U/L weighs 2.9 lbs but can't find a weight on the V/S stock, might be the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users