#1 river rat

river rat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:THE GREAT OUTDOORS

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

I was wonderin if any body who got away from the truck carried a survival kit. I just went through mine again and rebuilt it. I added a few things to it from lessons learned. I keep my kit in a fanny pack(i know sounds gay but its handy and its tactical :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:) I keep it in a water proof case. I added a frog gig to it and a few fly fishing flys. I have had to use my kit out of country a time or two and it worked. I used a fish hook some line and caught a few fish for chow when i was deployed. I tested it and it didnt fail. I was just wondering if you all had a kit anything to add to a survival kit that is unusual or any stories to share about survival. :wedgie[1]: .

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

I carry plastic bags, emergency blanket and an orange emergency poncho. I also carry a lighter, magnesium flint, compass, flash light along with my first aid kit.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:16 PM

I guess I'm just old fashinoned. My survival kit consists of a ....... Pocket Knife. Yep, that's it, just the pocket knife. But heck, I carry it all the time, that's why I have it. I've been hunting for over 50 years and have never carried a survival kit. Well, except for when I packed into the wilds of Idaho. But otherwise, why? I'm not anticipating running into some bad guys out there, and I'm not planning on going miles and miles and miles. After all, it is just predator hunting. And I know the country. If I don't, I may have a map, but come on guys, what the heck do you need all that dog poop for just to go out and shoot a predator? Am I missing something here?

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

On me , pocket knife, leatherman tool and a bick lighter. They are with me any way. Have all the rest in the truck.

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

I like to hike far for deer and that's what I have my pack set for. I just keep my stuff in my pack for yotes in case I decide I want to hike deep. Its not that much extra weight and it comes in handy.

#6 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:09 AM

pocket knife, tp, matches in water proof can, shoe sting, and a cell phone, go on long hunts solo, have fun Stephen :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#7 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

Mine consists of my left cargo pocket and a cell phone :good: I guess everywhere I've been for hunting wether its Indian Valley or back in the hills here in my town I always have phone receiption, but when I was younger and a boyscout my pops always made me carry a detailed survival kit when we backpacked.

#8 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

For dogs Pepsi or too. and the good old pocket knife. Bullets lots of bullets. For deer I have the tub and the kitchen sink in it . I like to get away from peaple deer hunting. No one takes any rope here. :roflmao3[1]: Dont like touching mangy dogs And I like to drag them out of the farmers way.

#9 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:02 PM

laptop computer, aftershave, fingernail clippers and the tv remote.

#10 Papa D

Papa D

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Hunting varmints, fishing, teaching Hunter Safety Classes and firearms classes and gunsmithing. Can't wait to get the Grandkids out hunting!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

River Rat,I am with you. I always carry fire starting stuff regardless of what I am hunting or where. If big game hunting I add a heavy duty space blanket (red/silver or orange/silver), game care tools, rope, ground black pepper (keeps the bugs off fresh meat), water, high energy snacks, appropriate clothing for the anticipated weather and a game bag or two. I keep it all in a Crooked Horn Outfitters Guide Pack. As a Hunter Ed. Instructor, I practice what I preach to my students. My Instructor/hunting buddies do the same. I have carried a fair amount of meat in my daypack but I prefer a Freighter Frame for heavy loads as it distributes the weight much better. I may carry the first load to camp in my daypack and return with the Freighter Frame. Incidentally the absolute best method for carrying meat sacks on a Freighter Frame is 2" wide nylon straps about 6 ft. long with Fastec buckles. I make them myself. 3 straps usually works best. The load will not shift or come loose. I have tried everything else and nothing works as well.On a few ocassions I have carried the daypack on the Freighter Frame if I am a long ways from the truck or camp and I want to maximize my load and reduce the number of trips.Good hunting.

#11 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

I guess I'm just old fashinoned. My survival kit consists of a ....... Pocket Knife. Yep, that's it, just the pocket knife. But heck, I carry it all the time, that's why I have it. I've been hunting for over 50 years and have never carried a survival kit. Well, except for when I packed into the wilds of Idaho. But otherwise, why? I'm not anticipating running into some bad guys out there, and I'm not planning on going miles and miles and miles. After all, it is just predator hunting. And I know the country. If I don't, I may have a map, but come on guys, what the heck do you need all that dog poop for just to go out and shoot a predator? Am I missing something here?

Thanks Braz, I was starting to feel like I was a nutjob for leaving home without enough stuff to survive in the wild for a year... :yahoo: Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with being prepared. Most of you are probably hunting and walking much further into the wilderness than I do. I rarely hunt more than 20 miles from home, and I know the country very, very well. It helps that we don't have much for trees, so you can see for miles most anywhere. Heck, maybe I'm getting lazy but I don't even like to drive past most of the good roads on most ranches anymore. I'm also not walking very far, I don't walk so good esp in rough terrain. 200 yards from the pickup is enough usually, and I have a cell phone in my pocket at all times whether I want to or not. Pickup does have a first aid kit, water, etc.

#12 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

:yahoo:Attached File  1.jpg   22.55KB   6 downloads

#13 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Predator Master, you certainly look like you are prepared!

#14 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

My survival kits consist of a pocket knife and a 30 rnd clip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users