• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:01 AM

I'm trying to make a home made shooting rest, nothing fancy, just basically a bag with something in it. I'm heading on over to Home Depot later today to see what I can put together. But I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I've got a rifle rest, but sometimes its just too bulky to lug around. I wish there were still some reloading stores nearby, I'd just buy a couple bags of shotgun pellets and hope that the bag that it comes in is pretty tough. Or I might just simply wrap a 4X4 with some foam?

#2 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:41 AM

You know what I did is I have a couple of pillow cases. Then I got some sand from the kids sandbox put it in some food saver bags and sealed them(did not vaccum out air). Then put them in the pillow cased and had the little lady sew them up and I had my shooting bags and it was cheap and most of the stuff you will have at the house.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

Another idea. I used the legs from an old pair of levis. Just sew the bottom, fill with a nice, clean dry sand, and then sew the top. Works great, is sturdy, and is very cheap.

#4 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:10 AM

I bought my last shooting bag. But in stead of sand I filled it with polystyren beads. Weighed about 1/2 as much as sand if you can get your hands on some I would try that as fill.Here is a link to the company I got mine from IASCO Page 12 It is $13.00 for 5 lbs. Robert

#5 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:46 AM

I'm with coyoteslayer, I'm just going to "borrow" some sand from my son's sand box. Though, I like Robert's idea too of keeping weight down. I need to look for my corn cob media to fill my bag, that should be pretty light?

#6 RLS

RLS

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:36 PM

Try Rice

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

Rice... good idea!

#8 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:34 PM

I just went to the feed store and bought shelled corn. It is quite a bit lighter than sand, although not quite as solid when bagged. It works fine though. One thought. I microwaved mine before bagging it. Otherwise there might be all kinds of little things hatch out. ;)

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:37 PM

What does rice do when it gets damp or wet guys? ;)

You break out the chop sticks and eat it! ;)

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:40 PM

You know, the problem with any of that organic stuff is that when it get damp it begins to mold. Sure some it even swells, but the mold is the real problem. It begins to rot and then stinks and then not only do you have to throw it away, you probably have to throw the whole bag and all away. That's why I prefer sand. If it gets wet, you can still use it. Just let it dry. Also, with sand, you have some weight to the bag which helps with the stabilization of the weapon being fired. Sure, the weight means it takes a bit more effort to carry back and forth to the range, but I think the advantages of the heavier sand bag outweighs any of the perceived advantages of the organic filled bags. This is just my opinion, of course, and that ain't worth too much. If you don't believe me just ask my wife. ;)

#11 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:08 AM

A few years ago I made a hasty shooting bag out of an old white sock and some rice. I just filled it up part way and tied a knot in the end. I still ue it now and then and it works fine. No mold or rot. If the conditions were ever wet enough to get the rice wet, I wouldn't be shooting anyways.

#12 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:20 AM

Crushed walnut shells works good too. You can get them at any pet food store, they sell it for the bottom odf cages. It's not as heavy as sand but works well and wet doesn't bother it. Ben it's not the weather that gets stuff wet it's the leaky Ice chest.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:22 AM

it's not the weather that gets stuff wet it's the leaky Ice chest.

That's a very true statment if you go with bzzrd feedrstatement! ;)

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:29 PM

thats a good post i too was thinking of away too make my own sand bag I like the old jean pants leg idea I will try that and fill it with almond shells or sand i have access to both.

#15 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:34 PM

Talk to your local banker about bags. They have several diferent sizes that they transport coins in and I am sure that some that are discarded are perfectly usable.

#16 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:11 PM

Rod Those wouldn't be sand bags then they'd be money bags, a thief may sue for false advertisement. ;)

#17 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:56 PM

Dale, you are assuming. I just used the generic term "bags". I dunna know, a big ole bag filled with big denomination bills might work fine. :lol:

#18 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:41 PM

Ditto alpenliter. But, I use electrical cable ties, the ones that are self locking. Cinch up one end, fill with corn cob or sand, cinch up the other end, you're done. A17Shooter

#19 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:27 AM

I used to have access to bank bags, those bags are tough! We used to carry about $1,000 worth of quarters in those bags.... I'll have to see if I can get some....Well, after my trip to Home Depot, I got side tracked and didn't go with the sand bag idea. I basically, just got a 1 inch dowel about 10" long that has a flat side on one side, then wrapped it with padding. Used some wood blocks as legs and was done with the project. I'll see how it work out this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users