18 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

I want to hunt my Monsoon in the prairie dog town on Wednesday so I had to switch it from tin to lead ammo. All that means is, I clean the barrel thoroughly, and re-sight the gun with the lead pellet. I normally shoot the 15.9/16 grain JSB Exact Jumbo in this gun. It performs beautifully with that pellet.I had finished sighting it in with the 16 grain JSB's, and had put it away, getting out my FX 2000 to sight it in with the 18 grain JSB's. It shoots them absolutely lights out, as does my RWS Rapier. Almost as an after thought, I wondered how the Monsoon would do with an 18 grain pellet.I got it back out, and since the target frame was at 30 yards, I decided to put five shots into a prairie chuck target and see what it could do. It absolutely blew me away. this is as good as the FX and RWS do at the same distance. They are are both bolt guns and the Monsoon is semi-auto.We don't have an official range here in Flagstaff, so for range work I head out to a favorite spot in the National Forest. By the time I got around to doing this I was running out of time, so I only shot it at 30 yards, but I'm going to go back out and sight the gun in at 55 yards for prairie dog hunting. I'll probably do it on Wednesday morning before I start hunting with the rifle. I do believe that I have found a new favorite pellet for the Monsoon. I also believe the prairie dogs are going to hate this combo. The heavier weight will carry a few more foot pounds down range, and also buck the ever present wind a little better than the 16 grainer.Posted ImagePosted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

That's excellent, Cliff. Those prairie dogs will wish you had not moved to AZ.

#3 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:55 PM

Cliff, I got to tell you it dosen't seem fair you hunting those prarie dogs with that gun and pellet combo. :two-cents: Keep up the good work.

#4 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

Thanks guys, hunting with this setup is always a blast. My first experience, last week, at hunting these guys in Arizona made me decide that this just might be the perfect Arizona prairie dog rifle. I had several situations where there were several dogs on one mound, and by the time I racked the bolt for a second shot, one or all of them would be gone. A semi-auto would have been perfect.I also had a couple of situations where the dogs were out in the vegetation, and when I took my eye away from the scope to rack the bolt, I had a hard time finding the dogs again. It all looks the same out there. No real land marks to help remember where the dog was. Another good reason to shoot a semi-auto, no need to take my eye away from the scope. B)It also registered with me this morning. I don't need to sight the gun in with the 18 grain pellets. It's already sighted in with the 16 grainers, and the 18's shoot to the same point of impact as the 16's do all the way too 100 yards. I'm glad I remembered that before I went through all of the equipment setup required to shoot it at 55 yards. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#5 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:18 PM

Wow!! great shooting. I was just looking at the different Monsoon models and I really like the FX Revolution. After reading the manual... I have a question?"Proceed to fill either by pump, scuba tank, or compressor until a maximum of 200 BAR has been reached."How much pressure is 200 BAR?? I have a 3000 PSI aluminum scuba tank... sort of on order. I will order a 4500 PSI if need be.Please advise a ... -need to know this info- sort of a guy. Tanks. Murph.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,311 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

You would definitely get more fills from a 4500 psi tank but getting one filled isn't all that easy. I would search for a place to fill it before buying the more pressure tank. Oh, and 200 BAR is 2900.76psi.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

Thanks ShooterJohn for the answer and the good advice. The way that small business's are going out of business there are no guaranties of getting air tanks filled at all. Bakersfield is not a big draw on scuba shops, thats for sure. I found one...that's all.I have been filling my disco mainly by hand, 50 pumps at a time... before my back goes South for ten minutes and the another group of pumps untill it reaches 3100 PSI. Then I go to the range and shoot. Less than three miles away.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,311 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

Call some paintball shops. I found a couple that will fill the 4500psi tanks. I have a Sports Chalet just a couple miles from me that will fill mine for $5. That's pretty hard to beat.

Time waits for no one--

#9 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

I Googled..."Sports Chalet Bakersfield,ca." ... I called them and they will fill a scuba tank to 4500 PSI for $5.00. Is this a great country, or what!!! :flag: :drinks: :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,311 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

They are the BEST place I've found for 4500 psi fills. No waiting around or having to leave the tank either. Glad you had one near you Murph.

Time waits for no one--

#11 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

I got a 4500 carbon fiber tank and I haven't refilled it since I got it filled the first time, I think I can fill my 410 something like 40 times and the carbon is so light and only has to be hydro tested every 5 years and has a 15 year life.

.177 Custom 1377c, .177 TX200 MKIII, .177 FWB 300su .177 R.A.W. TM1000, .22 M-Rod tuned, .22 AA S410 - SL XTRA FAC, .22 Theoben Rapid MKII AZ tuned, .25 Daystate Air Ranger tuned, .25 HM1000x, FX Boss .30

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:58 AM

I have been filling my disco mainly by hand, 50 pumps at a time... before my back goes South for ten minutes and the another group of pumps untill it reaches 3100 PSI. Then I go to the range and shoot. Less than three miles away.

Did you mean you are filling the Disco to 2100 PSI...???

#13 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

Did you mean you are filling the Disco to 2100 PSI...???

Yes, I really ment to type 2100 PSI.I did order the FX Revolution from AoA yesterday. ... and I went to Sport Chalet and bought a 3000 PSI Aluminum scuba tank ($150.00) and they filled it for free.... heck, he even carried it to the car for me.Then yesterday afternoon I sold my race car. Sooooo I think I will take back the aluminium tank back and buy a steel tank that will hold 3440 PSI. Difference of another $200.00. It will be in a perminate location in my shop so weight is no problem.

#14 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

Yes, I really ment to type 2100 PSI.I did order the FX Revolution from AoA yesterday. ... and I went to Sport Chalet and bought a 3000 PSI Aluminum scuba tank ($150.00) and they filled it for free.... heck, he even carried it to the car for me.Then yesterday afternoon I sold my race car. Sooooo I think I will take back the aluminium tank back and buy a steel tank that will hold 3440 PSI. Difference of another $200.00. It will be in a perminate location in my shop so weight is no problem.

PAG has the 88 cubic foot 4500psi carbon fiber tanks for $549 or the fiberglass for $429 both are very light and come with the filling adapter.

.177 Custom 1377c, .177 TX200 MKIII, .177 FWB 300su .177 R.A.W. TM1000, .22 M-Rod tuned, .22 AA S410 - SL XTRA FAC, .22 Theoben Rapid MKII AZ tuned, .25 Daystate Air Ranger tuned, .25 HM1000x, FX Boss .30

#15 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

Another option is buying the Scott Air Tanks...Scott Air Paks are a real common charge bottle for PCP airguns.... The tanks are Carbon Fiber so they are extremely light and durable as well. They can be had with a wrench tighten fitting for $125 or a hand tighten fitting for $140.

#16 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:18 AM

I was going "Nuts-O" using Google. Could you give me the "link" to buy this Scotts air Pak.Tanks a bunch, Murph.

#17 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

I was going "Nuts-O" using Google. Could you give me the "link" to buy this Scotts air Pak.Tanks a bunch, Murph.

#18 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

Did I miss Something??

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,311 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:55 AM

Murph, Scotts Air Paks are SCBA air tanks for fire fighters. I've got several of them that I got through a local fire department used. If you are going to buy one good tank I'd go with AirHog. It's a bit more money but specifically designed for what you need and you get the correct fittings without having to hunt down adapters and such. It took me more time to get those tanks adapted for use than it was worth in my opinion. Plus you have to have the correct rated adapters as 4500psi air is nothing to fool around with. I have had to have a couple of them tested and lets just say my AirHog tanks were set up and ready to go.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users