• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:38 PM

I am thinking about getting into reloading. I have done a little, 15 years or so ago with my father he still reloads. Three Season Guide And Gun here in Rocklin is offering a course I believe its$50 for four or five weeks and an hour and a half per week. You actually do some reloading. Do you think considering I have very little experience this would be a good place to start? I know I should just do it with my dad but even at 38 he would still treat me like a kid and want to do it all and I really want to learn how myself. Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#2 CLL

CLL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:38 PM

First I would buy a couple of good manuals . Read them then make a decision on taking a course . Some reloading techniques may cause you some grief but know you can always ask for help here .I always enjoy reading this section ,there is alot of good advice . Best of luck with your endevors . Keep us posted .
I might be tired from hunting , but I will never tire of hunting .49er Faithful

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:35 PM

Fishwrestler,The cost of the course sounds reasonable. It's probably a good way to familarize yourself with the procedures and equipment before you start buying equipment and start loading.Go for it,A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 big jon

big jon

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:22 AM

taking a class probly wouldnt hurt, reloading is as hard as you want to make it, with so many different types of presses and scales and stuff you realy need to figger out what you want to load at first, i would recomend you start with a RCBS single stage its the best way to leard the ropes most reloading is repeditave but one screw up and you can get hurt or break a gun, and you can always use a single stage on your reloading table. i would also recomend that you keep a note book of your loads and how they did at the range, i cant tell you how many good loads i had to rediscover because i forgot to write it down, anyhow dont be intimadated just stick to what the books say and in time you will learn short cuts and little things that will help you, best of luck and keep us up to date on your reloading goals

#5 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

I think there were a couple of CPC members who took that class about two years ago. It's too far away for me so I didn't go. You can really learn a lot by reading a few manuals and reading web forums. Although for me, it didn't really make a whole lot of sense until I went hands on with my own equipment. I really enjoy reloading now, except it takes too long. Not to worry, there are lots of high dollar accessories that will speed things up and help me save money faster. :lol:

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,936 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:41 AM

Not to worry, there are lots of high dollar accessories that will speed things up and help me save money faster. :lol:

That has to be an Oxymoron. :) high dollar - help me save money faster! :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:48 AM

Not to worry, there are lots of high dollar accessories that will speed things up and help me save money faster. :lol:

Yes That is exactly what my wife is afraid of. Her first comment was what will this cost us. I just Smiled and said honey it will save us money in the long run :lol: Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,936 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:54 AM

It will save you money in the long run and you will have ammo customized to your guns. I'd start out with an RCBS Rock Chucker kit as it comes with just about everything you need to start except dies. I think Stiff Neck's pretty happy with the way reloading turned out for him with a few suggestions along the way. Besides, he's really cheap too! :lol: :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#9 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

Besides, he's really cheap too! :lol: :lol:

I am not cheap I am just broke LOL I think there is a difference. Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#10 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:38 AM

Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard, so what? :lol: I just loaded 750 rounds for my next varmint trip. Here are the total costs for my own custom VERY accurate and high quality reloads vs factory ammo from Cabela's (not a bad price):Hornady ammo- .223 40gr V-max @ ? fps hope my rifle likes this ammo...750 rounds = $562.13 plus shippingor50 rounds = $37.48 plus shipping20 rounds = $14.99 plus shippingBlack Hills remanufactured- .223 40gr V-max @ ? fps hope it shoots good....750 rounds = $344.85 plus shipping or50 rounds = $22.99 plus shipping20 rounds = $9.20 plus shippingCabela's bulk ammo- .223 50 gr TNT HP @ ? fps who knows how well it actually shoots...750 rounds = $249.98or50 rounds = $16.6720 rounds = $6.67Winchester Varmint White Box- .223 45gr HP @ 3300fps750 rounds = $243.56 plus tax or shipping (good luck finding that much at Walmart)50 rounds = $16.24 plus tax or shipping20 rounds = $6.50 plus tax or shippingMy reloads- .223 40gr V-max @ 3700 fps super accurate in my rifle750 rounds = $169.50or50 rounds = $11.3020 rounds = $4.52Now, as you can see, my high quality reloads are cheaper than the cheapest "cheap" bulk ammo, and they're WAY cheaper than the "good" factory stuff. Your rifle might not like the bulk cheap stuff, and even if it does surely it's not as reliable or effective as your own custom reloads.Last year I bought Black Hills remanufactured ammo to shoot becuase the price was right and it shot well in my rifle. This year, by shooting my own reloads, I'm going to be spending 1/2 the price for the same number of bullets. Or, I can shoot twice as much for the same amount of money. :lol: You'll soon realize that the second option is more likely. You'll shoot twice as much and spend the same. I'm going to save about $170 in just one single day-and-a-half trip. You can see how fast your reloading equipment will pay for itself. Might take a few years to break even if you don't shoot a whole lot. And it gets cheaper the bigger quantities of supplies you buy. But it definately is worth it in my book. And that's coming from a cheap bastard! :DAlso, .223 is about the least expensive varmint ammo out there if you're buying factory ammo. If you've got a 22-250 etc, it's even more pricey for retail prices and you'll save even more by reloading.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,936 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:57 AM

Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard, so what? :lol:

Me too! :) And then there are those really nice people here on the forum to help you alone the way and give you their super secret Savage reloading recipes for your gun! :lol: ;) I told you reloading would be worth it. B)

Time waits for no one--

#12 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

John's been a great help to me and even convinced me to buy some pretty cool tools.That annealer here yet, John?

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,936 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:05 AM

That annealer here yet, John?

My new annealer arrived here late yesterday and I hope to get it setup this weekend if my window of opportunity stays open. I'm really looking forward to this new acquisition. It will sure speed up the process and help to prepare several NEW calibers for case forming. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#14 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:02 PM

Not to worry, there are lots of high dollar accessories that will speed things up and help me save money faster.

That was a joke. :lol: Some of the reloading toys out there are way too expensive for my budget, but they do speed things up quite a bit so you can shoot more and reload less. The more you shoot, the more you save, right? :lol: That's what I tell my wife anyways... So I "need" more reloading toys to help me save money faster.

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:17 AM

Looking forward to hearing how it works for ya. After seeing that video I have no dooubt you're going to love it.

#16 mrkubota

mrkubota

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:firearms/shooting, flying, music:<br />http://music.download.com/stratusgospel

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

John's been a great help to me and even convinced me to buy some pretty cool tools.That annealer here yet, John?

What was the delivery time from order for that thing? I think I'm going to need one for my .50DTC conversion brass...

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,936 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:36 PM

What was the delivery time from order for that thing? I think I'm going to need one for my .50DTC conversion brass...

He says 60 days but it got here a bit earlier. You have to supply your own torches, but he'll tell you the models that work. I got the long flexible hose type and it uses two. I pulled out 8,000 .223 cases last night, so that will be my test run. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#18 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

And then there are those really nice people here on the forum to help you along the way

Yeah, ShooterJohn knows a little bit about reloading... ;) And he's been more than willing to help me get going. Thanks!

#19 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

Stopped By Three Seasons guide and gun yesterday and signed up for the reloading class. It starts in June and is on thursday evenings. I think I am goign to ask for the Rock chucker kits since my birthday is in June. Maybe I will just have to buy it for myself ;) Roert
Rocklin,Ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users