2 replies to this topic

#1 lvr

lvr

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

does anyone have any experience shooting or dating these?

#2 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:46 PM

The Nitro is a field grade Lefever. I have one and as long as you don't have any major barrel damage you should be able to shoot low base shells without any trouble. As far as dating goes buy "The Blue Book of Gun Values " book and you should be able to date it without to much trouble.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

I love old double guns. I couldn't tell you about the date of manufacture but when I got into the old Ithaca doubles I learned a bit about the lefever as well. The original Lefever Arms Co. was bought out by Ithaca in 1916 and kept makeing the original side plated gun until 1919. In 1921 Ithaca started selling lower cost box lock action guns under the Lefever name. The Nitro Special was made from 1921 to 1948. They look alot like an NID model Ithaca which are pretty well built guns made during the same time fram and are capable of fireing standard power level ammo but I'd get a more educated opinion from someone who really knows these guns. Also, depending on what year it was made it might have a slightly shorter chamber. If I remember right they made the 2 3/4 inch chamber standard in 1924. Before that it was 2 5/8ths. It's not a problem with plastic cased ammo because they are pretty thin but a thick papper hulled shell in a short chamber could cause a nasty pressure spike. I'm no expert on them, just a lover of old doubles. Check with the guys over at shotgun world. They'll probably know better than I do.Edited

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users