Photo

Uniforming primer pockets and avoiding blisters?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:53 AM

So I figured out I can chuck the cutting bit of my primer pocket uniformer in a cordless drill and it makes the job a snap. Hold the brass between my thumb and index finger and squeez while the other hand uses the drill for a few quick turns. Beats the heck out of doing it by hand! Problem is after about 200 rounds I start developing a blister on my index finger right in the crevice of the first joint where I'm holding the brass, and a little bit on my thumb too. The blister seems to form as the brass turns just a tiny bit with each attempt. Is there any way to avoid this every time I run a batch of brass thru the process? I tried using a band aid but I couldn't get enough friction to keep the brass from rotating. Then I tried rubber gloves but it was too much friction and didn't prevent the blisters anyways. Does anybody else have this problem?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:34 AM

I've been doing it using a cordless drill for years are you sure you didn't hear this from me? :o I also use a little tape around my fingers to stop the blisters. Especially if you do any crimped primer pockets. :o Using my old Possum Hollow Case trimmers got me using the tape because after a few hundred cases I always found a new place for a blister. I could only get so many calluses on my fingers before I'd tear one off. :angry:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:48 PM

I thought about trying some of those mechannix gloves.

#4 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:22 AM

I have a pair of sap gloves that work ok but they're cheap and the leather dye turns my hands blue. :D

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:11 AM

Just go to the pharmacy and get some good cloth bandage tape. The heavy stuff like they tape boxers up with and tear a few strips and wrap the blister points you've had trouble with. Just don't wrap so tight as to cut off circulation. It only takes a few seconds and your fingers will thank you. :DI can't work with gloves on because I have gotten into the habit of holding several cases at a time and working through them before grabbing another handful. The tape doesn't bother me.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:21 AM

Good idea. I will pick some up next time I am near a pharmacy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users