7 replies to this topic

#1 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

Sometimes when we have company I will say we're having salmon patties for dinner and, remembering the ones that had back in school, they'll get a disappointed look on their face or just give me the Mr Yuck look. The school districts used Pink Salmon when making their patties and they used bread crumbs heavily as a filler. Mine are a little different.I can my own salmon, tuna and tomatoes and other game and vegetables when I can get or grow them. No doubt about it, Sockeye (Red Salmon) is the best but King and Coho are pretty good, too. I can my fish in pint jars. I also can some smoked salmon when I catch enough fish.For the patties you'll need:A pint jar or a 15 oz can of Salmon or a couple of cups of cooked leftover salmon. 3/4 cup Best Foods Mayonnaise1/2 cup Corn Niblets. I use either fresh, frozen or canned.1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper1/2 cup chopped celeryAn small onionBread crumbs1 or 2 eggs1/4 tsp Black pepper1/4 tsp Dill weed1 Tbs Old Bay seasoningExcept for the Old Bay seasoning I don't measure anything. I chop about 1/2 cup of celery and red bell pepper and add it to the fish. We like a lot of onion so I add about a cup of chopped onion to the mix and then add a good sized dollop of Mayonnaise and about 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and then the eggs. Add the seasonings and mix well. Place the bowl with the salmon mixture in the fridge for at least a half hour. The cold makes it bind better in order to form the patties. An hour would be even better.I have a very large Calphalon pan that I use for stuff like this. Heat the pan on medium and place a generous amount of oil in it. I like to also place 2 or 3 unpeeled cloves of garlic in the oil while it's heating up. When making the patties your hands are going to get messy so I turn on a little cold water in the sink to clean them right away. Make the patties and place them in the heated oil. Try hard to turn them only once. You'll find the patties are fragile so use a spatula big enough to get under all of it to keep it intact while turning it over. Cook them to a golden brown on each side and serve.Whenever I make the patties I also roast some garlic and make some garlic mashed potatoes for a side. A also like to serve steamed asparagus with the patties. You can also make this recipe with tuna and if you want a real treat make it with dungeness crab. It takes about a lb and if you have to buy crab meat it costs a bunch. We catch a few crab during the Spring and Summer and if we're lucky enough to be tired of fresh crab we'll make crab cakes or deep fry the larger pieces of the legs. If you get around to making crab cakes just dredge the mixture in the bread crumbs and fry them. The crab mixture will have to be left in the fridge until it's very cold in order to bind enough to make patties.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,321 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

I may have to try these tonight.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:41 AM

The only time I had Salmon patties was in Montana. We caught some variety of land locked Salmon. They were extremely good. My friend's grandparents fried everything and only used the good stuff to do it. The fried venison patties were good too! Everything was drenched in butter. Luckilly I was 16 at the time so I could eat whatever I wanted and never gained a pound. They did put us to work every day though but it was worth it. Never had Salmon patties in school thankfully. I'm sure they would have botched it up good. My dad won't eat tuna caserole to this day because they served it at school all the time.

#4 draggin

draggin

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:48 AM

Sounds like a great recipe! Ever try any other kind of fish, like walleye?

#5 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:39 AM

No.........but I was once tempted to try some of my girlfriend's guppies. She had too many of them.

#6 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

Moe I am going to give your patties a try. They sound good. I used to release most of the salmon I caught. I really don't like it most of the time. I prefer to eat little stripers, try to release all the big ones, and try to get other people to release them too. I hear rumor we are going to get back our salmon fishing next year. Your patties sound good.I tried your Juneau Salmon Bake recipe the other day and it was very good and moist too. I had a freind over and he wanted the recipie to try on chicken he liked it so much. :signs1180lq:
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#7 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

Hey Moe I do something very similar to your recepie but with a twist.I take the mixed salmon and stuff it into a large decapped mushroom and then bake till golden. It is really good and if you want to eat healthier it has less oil too. Sometimes I stuff portabello mushrooms with the salmon and use them for a potabello fish sandwhich. Very tastey indeed! :signs1180lq:

#8 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

Bennie......Glad to hear you liked the Salmon Bake recipe. It's not mine. It's supposed to be a well kept secret but it seems half the population of Juneau knows it. Any of my friends from there have it in their recipe box. Other than fresh sockeye my favorite salmon is a king and the best part of the king is a big steak from the front part of the fish with the belly fat left on. That fat contains the good cholesterol that doctors want us to eat. Sometimes when we catch a few cohos I'll give some of the fish away to my neighbors. A couple of them complained when I gave them fish in the round so I'll go ahead and cut it up for them. When I do I'll cut the bellies out and smoke them. On the larger king salmon that we catch I will cut off the wings, pectoral and pelvic fins, and smoke them, too. There's way too much meat and good fat in them to just throw away. One time I brought out a large bowl of smoked salmon bellies and wings when some friends came over. I also had a cooler of Ranier to wash it down with. A couple of the guys turned up their noses but soon joined in when the conversation stopped and the eating and drinking started. They all smoke their wings and bellies now. I like nothing better than having that oil running down my fingers when eating that stuff and a cold beer washes it down so good. When I'm BBQing king salmon steaks on the grill I only use some of the Farmer Brother's Season All. Everything else gets the Salmon Bake treatment. Bullseye.......Funny thing is I've been trying to come up with a good stuffed mushroom recipe for a few years now. I've had them at other peoples homes but I've never been able to come up with a good recipe. I think it's just the ticket. We were at Costco Wednesday and I saw their packages of big, beautiful mushrooms and thought about how I'd fix them. Now I know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users