10 replies to this topic

#1 JagerBulldog

JagerBulldog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

How long have you guys waited to get your mount back?How long is the average wait?Thanks!

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:13 PM

That's the $65,000 question. It depends on how busy the taxidermist is you took the mount to. Then it also depends on the order they do things. Contact your taxidermist and ask him when you can expect it to be finished. There are no set rules and unfortunately I heard some horror stories from other people. I know CoyoteHuntress does hers in the order received and that seems the best way to me. Plus she does great work.

#3 B-ZONE

B-ZONE

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

I took mine in at the end of october....and the taxidermist told me that it would take up to 7-9 months.....i'm dying to see mine......hopefully it is worth the wait.....he did a few of my uncle mounts and they look really nice....just like the real thing....well, that's how long i have to wait for mine....still haven't got it yet.....called him last week and he told me it should be ready by next week.....i will post up the picture when i get it back....

#4 JagerBulldog

JagerBulldog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Seems like everyone has a different story to tell. Hopefully, the taxidermist will be honest with you upfront. I would rather them tell me 6 months and it be 5 than them telling me 2 months and it turns into 5. I know it takes alot of time to do a mount, seems like alot of steps involved.

#5 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

Hey Bungalo Bill, what did you kill, Bungalo Bill?What animal did you take to a Taxidermist?Details on the hunt and the size, sex., antler points etc.......

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

Yep times vary.. I know some taxidermists that are running 2 years to get mounts back. You got to figure, too, if the taxidermist sends the capes out to be tanned they have no control over how long it takes the tannery to get the capes back to them. During peak seasons the tanneries can run 6 months or more behind.. Meaning the taxidermist is simply waiting to get the cape back before they can even start on the deer/elk whatever it is. Some taxidermists, like myself, tan in shop so that really helps cuts down on wait time, but again a busy taxidermist means that it takes time to get to your animal. SO even in house tanning doesnt always mean your mount will be done super fast...

#7 JagerBulldog

JagerBulldog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

Nothing yet but hopefully I will get a Deer or Bear , or both this year. I was just curious to hear everyones stories of how long they have waited.That's nice you do your own tanning CH. That would speed things up a little.

#8 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Anything worth having is worth waiting for.....I would rather wait on a good job than get something quickly that looks bad.A good Taxidermist is going to be busier than a bad Taxidermist. That compounds the wait because as word of mouth travels the good ones just get busier and busier.Again, it is worth the wait.

#9 JagerBulldog

JagerBulldog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

Great advice Sum-Rifle!

#10 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

I just opened up shop and already I'm looking at a solid 4-6 months turn around!!! I've got 10 skulls in the degreaser, and about 8 more in the freezer! Deer and bear season hasn't started yet and I predict my time estimate will be 6 months at that point since deer and bear are some of the worst when it comes to grease.With skulls, it is first in first out - but some skulls have less grease than others and will definitely end up moving ahead of others through the process. Not sure how true that sort of statement is with traditional taxidermy though.Without rehashing too much, I'd say Duane hit the nail on the head - "Anything worth having is worth waiting for."

#11 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:19 PM

Most times with taxidermy it holds pretty true as to first in first out.. Some things take longer, like if I have to send something out.. Such as a rug... That right there usually runs 8 to 10 months..before I even get it back to work on.. If they are really busy over a year.. Then days when IM waiting on something to dry or kick, Ill do antler plaques or do habitats.. Ill be glad when Im done for this year, as I have several of my own that I am hoping to get to.. Thats the only bad thing about being a taxidermist.... My own stuff gets done last LOL..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users