8 replies to this topic

#1 dull

dull

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hi all. I've been doing a lot of fishing lately down here in San Diego. I've just gotten a compound and been thinking about trying out bowfishing. I've only ever seen it done online/tv down in the Deep South for the most part. Anyone bowfish/see anyone doing that down this way? Anywhere local it's kosher to shoot? Thanks.

#2 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:16 AM

Years back I used to watch people shoot carp at clearlake looked like a lot of fun and always wanted to try it.. Dave

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:28 AM

Here's what the fishing regulations say about it. So if you go with these guidelines you should be good to go.

2.25. Bow and Arrow Fishing.Bow and arrow fishing is permitted only for the taking of carp, goldfish, western sucker, Sacramento blackfish, hardhead, Sacramento pikeminnow and lamprey, all year, except in:( a ) Designated salmon spawning areas.( b ) The Colorado River District where only carp, tilapia, goldfish and mullet may be taken.( c ) See bullfrogs (section 5.05).( d ) The East Fork Walker River between Bridgeport Dam and the Nevada State line where carp only may be taken during trout season.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

There's a few of us in SD Archers that bowfish. We typically bowfish in the San Diego river and the canals down in El Centro for carp. Also, once a year Big Bear lake and lake Henshaw hold carp bowfishing tournaments. I think Big Bear was just this past weekend, but since I'm working on the road, I didn't shoot this year.Check the salt water regs also, I used to bowfish for Corvina in the surf down on Torrey Pines and blacks beach. It's a real challenge, but super fun also - more suited to a recurve because snap shooting is common, and full draws are not always possible.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#5 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

I do it. I have a house at the river and in Big Bear! Both are great places!!

#6 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:56 PM

Get a cheap compound if you're gonna use it on the salt. You'll ruin a bow quickly. There are some nice fishing rigs for $300 with the line and special (heavy) arrows and such for sale. I saw em at OC Archery, they look like this:Posted ImageI'm waiting for the tuna, YT and mahi to show offshore on the paddies this summer because there are no serious game fish taken by bow on youtube. Me and my buddy wanna be the 1st! :rolleyes:We're using an older compound that doesn't get much use...figure a gillplate shot is best. Will post pics later. Just waiting for the water to warm! Looks like a big El Nino bubble is forming off Equador.

#7 dull

dull

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:46 PM

Thanks....Sounds like tons of fun.....might want to look up north a bit----saw a water temp map in last weeks Western Outdoor News and the warmest water in the area right now was up past North County I believe.

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

I stuck a few carp last summer but my line was to short and the arrow got pulled out.

#9 GnarlyDude

GnarlyDude

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

i shoot some carp at the colorado river in the past... you can buy the reel and stuff fairly cheap and its loads of fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users