• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

Hi Guys....I posted a new series of cow horn coyote howlers up on the RedHunterLLC store site last evening. RedHunterLLC Howlers Check them out when you have a moment. They all sound very good and we have priced them right. :653:

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:05 AM

Hey Red, which one would you say has the deepest tone? I'm still looking for the right alpha male call...

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

Hey Red, which one would you say has the deepest tone? I'm still looking for the right alpha male call...

Hi Jeff.... I do not think any of our howlers could be called "deep alpha male" howlers. Now, I realize that one's perception of "deep" is a subjective call, geared to one's own ear but I purposely make the howlers to pitch in the medium to medium-high range. Our reason for doing so is because we don't want to make the howler's howl too threatening to lesser than alpha males. The theory behind the medium to medium-high pitch is to hopefully be able to draw a broader cross section of animals to the howl.I know there are plenty of experienced hunters on this board but nobody has a lock on what makes coyotes respond all the time. By staying in the mid-range, we feel that coyotes will respond for a variety of reasons such as:
  • General curiosity
  • Territorial Challenge
  • A Possible Mating Situation
  • Lost Mate, etc.
We feel that if the howler is too deep and throaty, it may frighten or discourage some animals from responding. As I said, I don't know anybody that has all the answers when it comes to the subject of coyote response. All we can do is put forth our ideas and make tools based upon past successful experience. With all that being said, our cow horn howlers sound "deeper" than the plastic or wood off the shelf Chinese stuff. How deep? It's an individual opinion.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

How about a Barry White howler for attracting those lone females. LOL

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

LOL John :653: I wish I had thought of that line.

#6 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:53 PM

:653:

#7 predcaller

predcaller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

Wayne Hammer and Sam Shaffer were the pioneers in howling and they both said what Red said about the tone of a howler. Sam did mention one time about Herb of Herbs Howlers being involved at some time of the experiments with howlers. Wayne wouldn’t talk about Herb’s involvement. Both Wayne and Sam are in the happy hunting grounds now.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:45 AM

My howlers are definitely higher pitched and I've just wanted something a bit deeper. On average, in the area I call in, I'd say the the coyotes are more likely to come to the distress calls over a howl, but I want to change that this year. I'm hoping that with a slightly deeper tone than what I've been using, it will at least mix things up. Maybe I'm just a bad howler?? Totally possible. Haha.Edit: Placed the order!

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:09 AM

You must have bought one of those Andy Gibb autographed model howlers from Shooter John :roflmao3[1]:It's a roll of the dice with the howling thing. Sometimes they will answer and we will trash talk back and forth for 30-minutes....then one or two will come in to try and kick my butt. Other times, yotes will be howling, I howl back and they shut down completely. God only knows the whys, whens and wherefores. It is a heck of a lot of fun when both hunters get on their howlers and get a pack response. That gets them all jacked up. Good luck with your new howler. You'll like the extended tone board. It will give you lots of sound range.

#10 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:04 PM

Got my howler in the mail over the weekend. It's SWEET! Great weight, great looks, extremely loud and a fantastic sound. Red shipped it out super quick too! Thanks again, it was a pleasure. Hopefully you'll see a pic of the howler on the body of a young, dumb one in a few months. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#11 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:07 AM

Great! I'll be looking forward to that photo. I'll post it on the RedHunterLLC website. Now get on out there and slam a doggie..........Red

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users