13 replies to this topic

#1 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

What scope can handle the recoil of a 338 win mag.Is a 1 inch tube ok or a 300 mm better? I see most shots being 100 yds or less but what if I wanted to shoot out to 300? Im thinking a 3x9 would work but then I also wonder about fixed power..like a 6x.what do you have?
Don't be stupid

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,163 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

Any of the name brand scopes will work for you. But there again you get what you pay for so keep that in mind. 300mm? I think you hit an extra 0. LOL I like 30mm but it depends on your own wants. One is not stronger than the other really.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

Nightforce or Leupold are real good but they are expensive. I have heard good things about Bushnell Elite's and Nikon's for a little less money. The bigger tubes are stronger some of the time. They also will give you more vertical and windage adjustment. If you are only going to be shooting to 300 yards you do not have to worry about it. I have a real light gun that I built 30 years ago, it is on its 4th Scope. They were all good scopes. I think that the gun tears them up because it is so light it kicks like a mule. I put a Nightforce on that rifle last year. I hope it last me the rest of my life. Your rifle will only shoot as good as you and your scope are capable of. Because of this I like to buy quality scopes. A broke scope cost me a big deer one time. If you buy one that is top shelf and guaranteed for life you will only have to buy it once. I think that a lot of companys make good scopes, but the good ones are not cheep is what I am trying to say. Here is a link to look at scopes.SWFA Riflescopes Here is another one to look and check prices.Optics Planet.Com
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#4 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

I have had a Leupold on my 338 win mag as well as my 300win mag and 7mm rem mag for many years with no trouble. I even used one on my first 50bmg until the Nightforce came in. The scopes I have are Leuplod varri X-II(the old model ones) in 3X9X40 with 1" tube. There is no need for a 30mm tube and/or larger OB lens as that will raise the scope up on the rifle and cause an awkward head position. You will really gain nothing since in the USA you do not hunt after dark legally for big game. I only use leupold scopes on my hunting firearms and there is a good reason for that. I have shot game when I had to at 600+ yards with a 3X9 or 3.5X10 leupold so you do not need more power than that and if you go with more power then a quick close shot can become a problem. Also stay away from AO scope as the K.I.S.S. thing really helps on a hunting scope for big game. Varmit/target shooting is a different thing.A nightfore NXS is great but expensive(I have one on each of my 50bmg's) as they are like a leupold on steriods. My 338win mag has many,many hot rounds thru it with the leupold and still is going strong. Do yourself a favor and put a 3X9 or 3.5X10 leupold 1" tube with a 40mm OB lens on it and never look back.

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

I have a great Leupold 3x-9x I am thinking about selling. I bought as a back-up in Wyoming when my reticle was damaged on my Pentax LiteSeeker...Pentax fully replaced my scope and I removed the Leupold. I can't remember the model off the top of my head but it was $275.00 scope that came with a buck knife as a promotion...
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#6 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

This one might work for you.
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

That's pretty impressive.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

wow!!now do that to a BSA!!!!

#9 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

What scope can handle the recoil of a 338 win mag.Is a 1 inch tube ok or a 300 mm better? I see most shots being 100 yds or less but what if I wanted to shoot out to 300? Im thinking a 3x9 would work but then I also wonder about fixed power..like a 6x.what do you have?

Buy the most expensive scope you can afford. Make sure, whatever scope you ended up with, must have at least 3.5"-4" constant eye relief at any magnification. 1" or 30MM doesn't make a difference as far as scope strenght is concern. Another things to consider is the manufacturers warranty. You want a scope that is warrantied 100 percent by the factory. 338 is a flat shooting cartridge. If you plan to shoot 300 yards and beyond, a good variable scope will be your choice. For flexibility, I like a scope with at least 4.5X14 magnification range and no larger than 44MM objectives lens. Hope this help.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#10 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:47 PM

Hubby and son both have Leupolds on their 300 and 300 ultrag mags.. No problems. Same on the 338, 7 mag etc.. IM curious.. what are you shooting at less than 100 yards that you use a 338?
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#11 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:53 PM

By invitation bear in alaska over bait.That is what my friend is using. I do have a 454 casull that i think i would use instead at that close range..it is a puma rifle.
Don't be stupid

#12 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

You better pull that trigger if you get a bear coming in on you! I say rock the 454 and iron sight it :signs653wf:

#13 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

The 454 would work(I have a pistol in that chambering) I would use Nosler 260PAR bullets. BUT I would prefer a 338win mag(have one also) with NoslerPAR bullets or a bonded bullet such as the swift A-frame or sirrrco/hornady interbond/nosler accrabond for bear. I would prefer a repeating rifle(bolt action etc) over a single shot "myself" for a trip like that. A leupold 2X7 over bait or 3X9 for general use(bait or longer shots) would be my choice. I have a 3X( leupold on my 338 and other hunting rifles I have and have taken game at over 600yards but do not suggest that long range shooting unless well practiced and you must shoot that far for some reason.

#14 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

By invitation bear in alaska over bait.That is what my friend is using. I do have a 454 casull that i think i would use instead at that close range..it is a puma rifle.

OHHHHHH LUCKY YOU!! I hope you get a nice one :signs653wf:
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users