8 replies to this topic

#1 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:12 PM

i have a 28 in. barrel on my shotgun and want to have it cut down to around 20-21 in. i use it primarily for yotes and want to know if anyone has had this done and would it effect the range and patterning?i have priced rem.11-87 barrels and they are gold lined or something, just about 300.00 for a 21 in. any input would be appreciated.
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

Cutting the barrel back should not be a problem with heavy loads. 21" is a standard length for the 12ga 11-87. The gas ports are larger in the 21"er than they are in the 28" length.rabbiddog, you may have to open up the gas ports some for the shorter bbl.The range should be the same, but the patterns will not have the benefit of screw-in chokes. Should work fine for a coyote gun. For research, install a "cylinder"(not IC), choke in your existing barrel and shoot a few patterns. The results will be real close to the shorter 21" bbl.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

Send it to R & D Barrel works. Shooter John recomended them to me for a job I wanted to have done and they were great. Most of the local shops wanted a minimum of $200 to ream a barrel for choke tubes, R & D did mine for (if I remember right) $68 bucks. And the gun was back to me three days after I sent it off!!! Posted ImageThe barrel used to be a fixed, IC choked, smooth bore slug barrel........pretty much useless for doing anything but shooting rifled slugs. But now it's alot more versitile. I can still choke it light for shooting rifled slugs but I can also use a rifled choke for sabots, a super full for turkey, or a modified or full for buckshot.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

When we were kids my buddie blew up the very end of his barrel when we were duck hunting. So we just cut it off. The barrel choke is in the end of the barrel and was now gone. He had to buy another barrel because the one we cut off had too open of a choke for duck hunting. He still uses it for quail though. I think clampdaddy above has the best advice.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:18 AM

R & D Barrel Works http://www.americhoke.com/ is the best for any type of shotgun barrel modifications. Very fast, friendly and great work.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:44 AM

I guess I am old school when it comes to shotgun barrel length. Unless you do a lot of walking through thick brush I don't understand the advantage of having a short barrel. Most of the Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays shooters are using longer barrels than they used 30 years ago because they swing smoother and you have a longer sighting plane to look over. For me it is also a safety thing. When I lay down or sit down with my 28" barrel shotguns the end of the barrel is about 3" or 4" past my feet. With a 24" or shorter barrel I would have to hold my shotgun different than I have held it for the last 40 years and I don't want to do that.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#7 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

I'm with Bob...I keep reading this stuff where people want shorter barrels for quicker handling shotguns...for coyotes! Like these coyotes are running in jumping over their heads. Then in the same sentence want them to pattern nice and tight for them 50 yarders. I think people read too much.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#8 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

21" is too short IMO. I do however use a 24". I can see where Bob and Ed like the 28 in most cases too. I like the 24" for the slightly faster swing (if any) and the weight factor. I hunt nearly exclusively with a shotgun. I have had plenty of multiples come in and dropped most of them with the 24". I'm sure a 28" would have worked just as well, but it doesn't suit my needs. I hunt standing up, barrel in the dirt. A 28" sits too high to be comfortable any length of time. On the other hand, a 21" would sit too low.And pattern's don't mean anything. Make sure your POA is your POI and go shoot something!

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

......Most of the Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays shooters are using longer barrels than they used 30 years ago because they swing smoother and you have a longer sighting plane to look over.....

Most trap and skeet shooters also have a different swing than they did 30 years ago. Back then most shooters started from the low gun position, nowadays they start with the gun already on their shoulder and pointed in the area they know the clay will be headed. Short, light guns are quick to put into action. When I am surprized by a hell diving pair of teal I can really tell the difference of how fast I can get on them with my 8.4 pound 28" barreled Remington 870 as compared to my 7.5 pound 26" barreled Browning Silver.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users