• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

For those of you who love hot food or just have a death wish, I just thought I'd share this with you.One of my many hobbies is growing chili peppers. A couple of years ago I came across an article in a National Geographic about the search for the worlds hottest chili pepper. Up to that point the hottest known pepper was a Habanero. For those of you who aren't up on Chili peppers, the level of hotness or heat of a pepper is rated in "Scoville units" which is a mesurement of the amount of Capsaisin, the chemical compound that makes chilis hot. To give an example a Jalapeno chili might be rated as high as 8,000 Scoville units. Getting back to the National Geo article, a chili pepper in India was found that turned out to be almost twice as hot as a Habanero. This pepper is called the "Bhut Jolokia" (I just refer to them as BJ peppers), and they are rated at 1,001,304 scoville units . The scale below gives a pretty good idea of just how hot this pepper is. Attached File  AP_INDIAS_CHILI.jpg   27.82KB   58 downloadsDoing further research online I found out that the Chili Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University had Bhut Jolokia seeds available for sale. I odered a couple of packs which came with 10 seeds each and planted them last year. To say that these were finicky plants to grow is an understatement. Of the 20 seeds that I planted only about 8 ever sprouted, and of those only 3 lived long enough to produce chilis. Let me state that while I like spicy food, I don't like my food napalm hot. I grew these more out of curiosity than anything. When I finally got some ripe peppers, I scraped the seeds out of the pods to save for this year crop. I was real careful to not touch my eyes or any other sensaive body parts while doing this and I washed my hands to what I thought was surgeon clean afterwards. Well lets just say that I had no idea what a million Scoville units would do to my bare fingers. For the next three days the tops of my fingers back to the first knuckle felt as if they had second degree burns. No blistering or discoloration, just a burning sensation. The next day I go to work and I'm talking to a couple of my coworkers who are hotsauce freeks about these crazy peppers I'm growing and how my fingers are burning. Of course both of them say they have to try one of these peppers. A few days later I bring in some of the BJ peppers and these two guys dig in. One guy slowly nibbles two of the peppers down over the course of about 10 minutes. As he is eating them, his face turns scarlet red and starts to sweat profusely. Immediately after finishing the first chili he developes a bout of the hiccups that last for a couple of hours. I should also add that he easily drank over a gallon of water immediately after finishing the chilis. The second coworker in a display of bravado claims his mom fed him nothing but "hot Asian food" as a kid. He chomped down two peppers in quick succession, got into his truck, and drove off to his work location. A half hour later, coworker number two shows up to his worksite and isn't looking so good. His skin color is grey, and he is drenched in sweat. He immediately goes and lays on the floor and complains that he feels like he has the creature from the movie "Alien" inside of him. The rest of the crew feeds him all sorts of food over the course of the next three hours in an attempt to dilute the capsaisin from the peppers. At one point they seriously considered dialing 911. After three hours he was finally able to sit up again and he recovered enough to drive home that evening. He did say that the next day he developed a whole new appreciation for the term "Ring of fire." Later on I made a hot sauce out of BJ peppers, salt and vinegar. I had to brew it up outside and stand upwind as it was so strong that if you were down wind it was as if someone had discharged a pepper spray container on you. It turned out to taste pretty good. I also threw one into a crockpot of chili I made and it added a nice flavor without too much heat.

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

I have a chili garden myself. Never heard of these before. I have the traditional Jalapenos, Habaneros and Anaheim as well as sweet bell peppers and Okra. How fast do these germinate? Do you think I could get a crop in time if i ordered these seeds for this year? Cool write up =)

#3 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

This will be my second year growing BJ peppers. I planted a bunch of the seeds I harvested last year into a couple of those big starter trays back in January. Each tray holds 72 plants. I probably have about 50 or so that have come up. One came up within two weeks of planting and I had a new sprout break ground this morning. Like I said they are finicky. Very temperature dependant. You might have better luck being inland further and with the higher temps. I get alot of cool sea breezes where I live. From my experience last year they grew real slow for the first 3-4 months and then all of a sudden took off like gangbusters in July and August. Matter of fact they grew so fast during that phase that braches were breaking because they couldn't support the growth rate. If you want I could send you some seeds for free, or if you are around this neck of the woods get a plant or two. I don't have space for 50 pepper plants.

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

I would love to pick up a few plants and or seeds from you. That would be great! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:00 AM

Do the purchase of seeds or plants come with an ice machine? Cubed and not crushed? Maybe block ice?
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

Do the purchase of seeds or plants come with an ice machine? Cubed and not crushed? Maybe block ice?

No but it comes with a case of Preperation H. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

Wow! I have a big vegetable garden and have tried many different types of chili peppers but those are some real burners. I'll have to get some of those for next years salsa for the neighbors. :roflmao3[1]: I think they came up with the name "Bhut Jolokia" from the sound your stomach makes after eating them. :signs165xk:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:20 PM

Personally I think they should be called the "Humbling Chili." I dosen't matter how big a set you think you have, these babbies will humble you. :signs165xk: :roflmao3[1]:

#9 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:05 PM

So Mackeralboy how are your BJ peppers coming along? Those seeds that you sent me are growing well they are about a foot tall no fruit yet but they look healthy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users