25 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

I'd like to cook a little salmon fillet on the grill. Any suggestions from you die hard fishermen?

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

Rub the whole thing in Pesto, slice up a tomato and put the slices all over the top of the fillet. Wrap it in foil, and after it's cooked, add a bit of lemon if you like. Pretty fantastic.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

[quote name='Cranky Farmer' date='Jun 1 2009, 03:12 PM' post='143369']I'd like to cook a little salmon fillet on the grill. Any suggestions from you die hard fishermen?Put it a small room with bright lights and show it some large Hooks and it will talk (sorry could not let that go by)
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

If you have a favorite fish rub I'd sprinkle some on after I rubbed the salmon down with some olive oil. Just grill it on the BBQ skin side down but not for too long. I like to cook over the heat and grill them pretty quickly. Test it with a fork for doneness.I like a Jamaican spice rub I found. My wife isn't crazy for salmon but she loves it when cook this way.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

I have a folding rack that I use (from the dollar store). This way you don't have to worry about turning the fish... just turn over the entire rack holding the fish inside. Medium heat... for about 3 to 5 minutes per side. It depends on thickness of fillet. Good luck!!

#6 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:57 AM

I put the fillets in a zip lock add about a cup of soy sauce, couple tablespoons of crystal hot sauce, some olive oil, some lemon pepper, a little beer. I'll usually add a couple other spices depending on what I have.Let it soak for 20-30 minutesClean your COLD grill and spray with PAM or equivalent cooking spray.Fire up grill and put fillets directly on grill length ways to make spatula easier to use.Cook up one side about 4-5 minutes and flip another 4-5 minutes max and serve.People who don't like fish, especially salmon LOVE THIS!
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#7 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

Remove all skin and fat (gray color) next to the skin. Depending on how long the fish has been out of water, the fat will taint the flavor first. I just sprinkle salmon with lemon pepper and Q on medium for about 3-4 minutes a side. Use Pam on the grill to keep fish from sticking.My all time favorite way to fix salmon it to coat the fillets with Wasabi paste and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Serve with purple rice (you can get it at most health food stores). Cooking the Wasabi calms it down quite a bit. Not at all like eating Wasabi on Sushi.Truckeedan
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#8 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

I'm a purists but this cannot be beat. Lay the dry fillets in very soft (not completely melted) butter on both sides. Lay it on the hot, pre-heated grill on each side for 3-4 minutes. Remove from grill and cover w/ foil to allow it to finish cooking on the plate. Squeeze a little lemon (I prefer lime on seafood...more contrast) and eat it. Nothing else is needed. Like I said, I'm a purist.

#9 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:02 AM

Heath: I've posted this super secret Juneau Salmon Bake recipe before but I failed to find it. The Juneau Salmon Bake salmon is regarded to be the best in the world. My favorite salmon is sockeye cooked within 2 or 3 hours of being removed from the water and when I lived in Southeast Alaska we ate a lot of it near the end of June and start of July when the runs peaked. Running a not too distant second is king salmon steaks from the front half of a good sized fish seasoned with House of Prime Rib or Farmer Brothers Season All (same stuff) We NEVER remove the fat from the fish as it's loaded with the good cholesterol that doctors recommend eating salmon for and it's very flavorful. As a guy who has consumed way more than his share of Sockeye, King (Chinook), Coho, Humpy (Pinks) and Chum Salmon (good smoked) I can recommend highly this marinade recipe. We cook our fish on the Weber. Most bbq'd salmon is overcooked and dry and most of the salmon you get in the store and restaurants has been frozen. This marinade helps both of those issues. I like my salmon cooked closer to rare or medium rather than well done. Just like steak. The recipe:2 Tbs butter2 Tbs Brown Sugar1 or 2 Pressed Garlic cloves (I like 2)1 TBS lemon Juice2 tsp Soy Sauce1/2 tsp PepperPut the butter in a large Zip Lock bag and do a quick zap in the microwave then add the other ingredients. Seal the bag and mix them well. The put in the salmon and marinade for at least one hour turning the bag occasionally to make sure all of the fish is coated. I usually marinade the salmon for at least two hours. As I said, I use a Weber but we've also done this using a fish basket over a campfire. It never fails to get raves and requests for the recipe. BTW......the order that I listed the fish in is my preference in the best to the not so best. Often you will see Chum salmon being sold as Silver Bright salmon in some stores. It's a calculated ripoff. Another name for Chum salmon is Dog salmon because the Eskimos dry it and feed it to their dogs. It's also been given the name of Calico salmon because of the god awful colors it turns when it's in it's natal stream. They are ugly. The meat does not have a great flavor but it does smoke up pretty good. Most Alaskans don't much care for fishing for or eating them.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#10 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

One of my favorite ways is to take the salmon and rub it with salt pepper cayenne oregano and basil. Then I sprinkle liquid smoke and a little soy sauce on it. I then get a few pounds of brown sugar and spread about an inch of sugar in a bowl large enough to layout the fillete on then I cover the fillete with another inch or so more of brown sugar and let it sit in the fridge lilke that for at least a full day ideally 2. Once I have the grill ready I pull the fish out and wipe off the sugar , it will all be soggy,and maybe add a little more spice like garlic then I flash cook it on the grill. I comes out amazing its a cross between salmon jery, smoked salmon and a tender salmon steak. It melts in your mouth.

#11 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

My wife uses a modified Bourbon Shrimp marinade recipe that is delicious. It uses garlic, shallots, chipotle tabasco, bourbon, olive oil, brown sugar, & some creole seasoning. She takes half of the mixture & marinates the salmon in it for about 30 minutes, then I place the fish on some non-stick aluminum foil spread out over the BBQ (with holes poked in it to drain) & grill until done, basting once or twice with the other half of the mix. Gives it just a touch of a sweet-hot flavor. Serve it with some fresh lemons (quartered), brown and/or wild rice with some greens on the side, and wash it all down with a nutty brown ale or British-style bitter. It's a (semi-healthy) meal fit for a king...
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

Wes that TABASCO brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce is awesome. It's my newest secret ingredient for grilling and dutch oven cooking. :653:

Time waits for no one--

#13 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

I like to eat it not cook it :653: Just salt and pepper or what is ever handy cook skin side down ,lid on till just flaky. melted butter ,lemen ect .
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

Thumper you haven eaten anything until you've had Stockton Red onions like I grow sauteed and added in to whatever you're grilling.Attached File  DSC_0460.JPG   94.67KB   50 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0467.JPG   89.19KB   53 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0474.JPG   87.94KB   51 downloads :drool: :harhar1[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#15 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

John- I agree. My wife's marinade recipe originally called for traditional Tabasco, but that chipotle stuff is by far the best. In fact, I never was a Tabasco guy until I tried the chipotle flavor. Now I put it in everything.Those onions look good but I've really been hooked on the Walla Walla sweet onions. The rest of the family HATES onions though so I only get them sliced on a burger, hot dog, or something similar. Tomatoes, peppers, & cilantro too. Do you know how hard it is to cook meals that actually have any flavor without those ingredients??? Or try going to a mexican restaurant and ordering something without those ingredients... :harhar1[1]: No mushrooms either, and Oregon is like mushroom-heaven! :( Nothing better than sliced & cracker-crumb coated pan-fried chanterelles... :drool:
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

Yeah Wes, that chipotle stuff will change anybodies mind on Tabasco. I used to be a Walla Walla guy but these Stockton Reds are sweeter than any other onion I've had. I think it the chicken manure compost I grow them in. LOLI'm thinking of growing some mushrooms in my horse stalls. After all there aren't any horses in them.

Time waits for no one--

#17 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

I like a big slice of Walla Walla sweet onion on a liverwurst sandwich with a glass of ice cold beer on the side. We consume a lot of onions in my house. Those red onions look like they'd be good creamed.

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:49 PM

You like liverwurst Moe? We must be related. I used to make all the kids ill in school at lunch when I had liverwurst. I'm the only one in my whole family that will touch it. Maybe I was switched at birth. :)

Time waits for no one--

#19 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

I hate those slimy stinky Onions and tomatoes are worst yet YUCK POOO. :) .
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#20 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:11 AM

When I worked up in Tonasket, WA the customer services manager and I would take a trip down to a couple of exchanges near Yakima and on the way back we'd buy a 50 lb bag of Walla Walla Sweets and split it. At lunch time we'd make our sandwiches out of liver cheese and onions. No beer but it was still damned good. I think liverwurst is probably one of the things that will clog your heart in a hurry so I don't have it very often but I sure like it.Sometimes when I make roast beef or even steaks I will make a batch of creamed onions. Onions are very healthy. Even when we go camping with friends we take onions and wrap them whole in foil and cook them on the fire like baked potatoes. Really good stuff.

#21 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

I will make a batch of creamed onions. Onions are very healthy.

onions are...creamed onions aren't. But they sure are good. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :pirashoot: :yikes[1]: Kinda like covering a granola bar with chocolate syrup.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#22 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,772 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:24 AM

OK, enough already about the creamed onions. I can't stand it unless you post a receipe so I can give yours a try. I love them.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#23 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:21 PM

You like liverwurst Moe? We must be related. I used to make all the kids ill in school at lunch when I had liverwurst. I'm the only one in my whole family that will touch it. Maybe I was switched at birth. :014:

SJ You just need to call the liverwurst -- Pate' and everything is cool. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#24 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:13 AM

...when we go camping with friends we take onions and wrap them whole in foil and cook them on the fire like baked potatoes. Really good stuff.

Yumm...gotta try that!On a side note, some friends came over last night and I grilled salmon on the BBQ for everyone. Didn't want to make it too spicy for the kids so I used a lime & butter sauce that I kept brushing onto the fish as it cooked. Then I sprinkled on a bit of Pappy's Lemon Pepper seasoning about 5 minutes before I took it off the grill. Good news is that everyone really enjoyed it, bad news is there are no left-overs for a salmon-melt sandwich. :(

#25 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

I realize we're way off topic........but. lolWes..When we're lucky enough to get a salmon season and actually catch some salmon I try to can a case or two. Same with tuna. I made salmon patties for dinner last night. I will post the salmon patty and creamed onions recipe in a different thread.

#26 Big Ty

Big Ty

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, dirtbike riding, horses, sports in general, the outdoors, etc...

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

Here's one for ya. Chop 2 sweet onions. Peel and slice two whole heads of garlic. Put them in a pan and cook with butter until clear. Put half of mix on a large piece of foil and then place salmon fillet on mix. Pour the rest of the garlic/onion mix on top. Top off with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt, fresh tarragon, and fresh mint leaves(sliced, leaves only). Tent the foil and fold the ends. Cook on the grill or oven for about 10 minutes per inch thick. Serve it with long grain and wild rice and brocolli. And a cold brew just tops it off. Enjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users