15 replies to this topic

#1 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

Gents;I started this out in the wrong place..223.My questions are about 6mm Remington with VGsAnyone out there working up VG 62 gr loads in 6mm Remington?H4350?Varget?N550?What the experiece you are having with this bullet weight and caliber?Many thanks for sharing your data.Rob

#2 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

I guess I am the last guy to be shooting Rem 6MM...Send me your old brass please. :lol:

#3 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

I shot it in a 243 . It didnt show me much on coyotes.

#4 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

I guess I am the last guy to be shooting Rem 6MM...Send me your old brass please. :)

Wait a minute! I still shoot 6MM Remmy. I use 87 grain V-Max with 43 grains of IMR 4350 on a Remington case and Federal 210 Match primer. My velocity is around 3300 fps and deadly accurate. My rifle is an Argentine 1909 Mauser with 10 twist Shilen Match grade barrel. Posted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#5 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:58 AM

The Barnes 62 gr Varmint Grenades shoot pretty good in my Rem 700 243 Win but I was not impressed with all the exit holes I saw while using them on coyotes. I have reloaded a bunch of the Barnes 80 gr Tipped TSX bullets and if they shoot decent I will use them instead of the 62 gr VG's. I would rather shoot coyotes with a lousy 80 gr bullet than shoot coyotes with a lousy 62 gr bullet. I didn't buy a 243 Win to shoot 62 gr bullets.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#6 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:37 PM

85 grain TSX shoot great out of my Remington 700 6mm.I was using 55 grain Nosler BallisticTips but re-sighted for my daughter's Deer Hunt last year and have never looked back. Shoots great.I have 500 62 grain VG but have not loaded a single round with them. I am guessing they would shoot well.
Hunt with your kids not for them.

#7 MG34

MG34

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Machine Guns, Varmint Hunting, Camping in McCain Valley, Lots And Lots Of Reloading, K6MGX, Big Sandy Shooter

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:18 AM

I shoot a 55 Gr Nosler BT with 45 grains of Varget if thats any help.

Attached Files

• Attached File  028.JPG   62.58KB   8 downloads

Big Sandy Shooter, K6MGX

#8 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:49 AM

My 6mm Coyote load in my Rem 600 is 48.5 grains of H414 behind a 65 grain Vmax. Right at 3500 fps with my short 18.5 in barrel. Shoots 1/2 inch all day.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#9 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:14 PM

I shoot a 55 Gr Nosler BT with 45 grains of Varget if thats any help.

I shoot the same bullet with 44 grains of Varget with good accuracy.I haven't loaded up any of the 62 VGs.

#10 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

Wait a minute! I still shoot 6MM Remmy. I use 87 grain V-Max with 43 grains of IMR 4350 on a Remington case and Federal 210 Match primer. My velocity is around 3300 fps and deadly accurate. My rifle is an Argentine 1909 Mauser with 10 twist Shilen Match grade barrel. Posted ImagePosted Image

Your posting has motivated me. Many thanks. In a gun shop today they actually had ammo for sale...after I got some smelling salts and came to, I found 100 V-Max 87 grain bullets...I bought them. I also have about 5 lb of H4350 hanging around. What is the 1 for 1 ratio for H4350 and IMR4350 by chance? I could go downstairs and look it up...but it's late.thanks for the inspirtation.rob :two-cents:

#11 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

I got some very favorable results on Saturday at the Raibow Range - Fallbrook, CA.N550 - 38g - 40 gr - 42 gr - 43 gr - 44 gr - 45 gr - 46 gr - 47 -gr ( five each )Low end of the powder range:6mm VGs 62 gr bullet42 gr. VV N550 - I got almost the same point of aim as I did with my trusty 55 gr. Ballistic Tips with 44 gr. of Varget (love this load)...sweet deal if it works out. I will dance around the 42 gr of VV N550 now that I think I am close.Upper End of the powder range:6mm VGs 62 gr bullet46 gr. VV N550 also put a sweet group together and I like it - It was at almost the same point of aim as the 55 gr Ballistic Tips with 44 gr of Varget, but more powder = more $$$.I am trying to find similar good groups and a similar points of aim between these two different bullets and powders. Call me crazy...but I want to pick the bullet for the target without screwing around with the scope...am I dreaming?Coming soon - I will try H4350 to see what I can get for a similar test. :653:

#12 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

Okay gents. Three weekends of comparative shooting.You may think I'm off base...but I am building different bullet weight loads that hit at a very similar spot, all within safe ranges. The idea is to not touch the point of aim of the scope...let the powder and bullets do the adjustment to the 1 to 1.5 inches high at 100 yards on paper.The King: My 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips are the Chariman of the Board - all else must shoot to the same spot.The elusive and politically incorrect - Barnes offering for Condom Zones in CA - The Varmint GrenadeHere are my best resultsRemington 700 - BDL - circa 1989 (twist rate 1:12)6mm Remington - Barnes 62 gr Varmint Grenade - Remington Brass (shot about 3 times) with CCI large Rifle Primers. The Results: Varget 41.5 gr - N550 46 gr - H4350 35 gr All are working great and hit just about 1 to 1.5 inches high at 100 yards...just where I want the study to maintain accuracy that is very similar to the 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I have loaded 30 varriations (10 per powder) to get this data.Next Saturday is the big final cook off between the three semi-finalists. Stay tuned. :roflmao3[1]:

#13 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

Your posting has motivated me. Many thanks. In a gun shop today they actually had ammo for sale...after I got some smelling salts and came to, I found 100 V-Max 87 grain bullets...I bought them. I also have about 5 lb of H4350 hanging around. What is the 1 for 1 ratio for H4350 and IMR4350 by chance? I could go downstairs and look it up...but it's late.

The Hodgdon is slightly slower than the IMR. The 87 grain V-Max are great long range bullet. At 3300 fps, the V-Max shoots flatter than my 300 Win Mag shooting the 180 grain bullet at 1 K. Too bad can't use them now here in Kalifornistan. I still have a thousand bullet on hand, all moly coated. I made my longest kill on crow with this bullet at 598 yards and unknown number of squirrels and Jacks were blown to smithereens. My 6 is mouthball now, losing favor to three excellent 224 Varmint Rifle in my battery. But when opportunity knocks for longrange varminting, I won't hesitate to dust off the old gal again.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#14 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:47 AM

Thank you for the intel about H and IMR 4350 differences. Ahhhhhhh I get it...Last weekend I loaded up H-4350 with 43 grains of H-4350 with your recomended 87 gr VMax bullet. I did not have the same pin point accuracy results. I will bump up the H-4350 just by 1/2 gr to 43.5, 44, 44.5 to see if I can get that SUPER pin point load you have with your IMR - 4350. :roflmao3[1]:

#15 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

A really big thank you goes out to the Desert Fox.I tried a few differnt loads in my Remy 700 over the last couple of weeks.I didn' have any IMR 4350 but did have a lot of H 4350.GOOD News is that I was able to get really close to your results using 44 gr of H4350 - CCI large Rifle Primers in Remington brass.Oh I am really good to go now!I have an intersting 62 gr Varmint Gernade load that hits at just abut the same point of aim.Next week I'll know for sure.Thanks again Mr. Fox. :two-cents: :two-cents:

#16 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Did I miss something, What cant you use in CA. Desert Fox. Nice rifle Rop
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users