Photo

Penetratrion test with two different shotgun shells.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

Before I had to shoot lead free shotgun shells at coyotes the Federal Premium 12 ga 3" 1-7/8 oz of copper coated lead BB's was my favorite load for coyotes. Last year I shot a catalog with the Federal copper coated lead BB load and the 3" Rem Wingmaster HD BB load. The Rem HD BB's out patterned and out penetrated the Federal lead BB load by a long ways. Today I went out to see how the Rem Wingmaster HD 2's would compare to the Federal Premium copper coated lead BB's.Posted Image I shot the catalog at 40 yards with a Federal Premium 12 ga 3" 1-7/8 oz load of copper coated lead BB's then I shot the same catalog from the same distance with a Remington Wingmaster HD 12 ga 3" 1-1/2 oz load. The first four copper coated lead BB pellets were found on pages 113, 113, 115 and 117. The deepest copper coated lead pellet went through 223 pages.The first four Rem Wingmaster HD #2 pellets were found on pages, 115, 121, 207 and 213. The deepest Rem HD #2 pellet went through 387 pages.Posted ImagePosted ImageHere are the copper coated lead BB pellets and the Rem Wingmaster HD #2 pellets that I took out of the catalog.The copper coated lead BB's averaged 143 pages of penetration per pellet and the Remington Wingmaster HD #2's averaged 237 pages of penetration per pellet. Posted ImageThis pattern is a Remington Wingmaster HD load of #2's that I shot last year.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#2 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:39 PM

Great report Bob! Looks like the HD #2's will work. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#3 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

Penetration is only part of the equation. The lead didn't penetrate because it deforms better and in doing so transfers it's energy to the target. Flesh is different than paper. Something else..... Studies done in the 60's showed no significant advantage of copper plated shot over a good quality lead shot with a high content of antimony. Hornady, Winchester and others make high quality shot and I would be surprised to find low quality shot in any brand name shell. If you want a plated shot that does make a difference get nickel plated shot. You get the best of both worlds. Great penetration and great energy transfer. I have hunting loads with nickel plated lead shot made by Fiocci and Winchester.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#4 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:04 PM

i dont know about the penatration,but nothing has run off after its met my winchester supreme 3"#4 buck. every coyote but one has passed my beads and survived. the one that got away made the final leap to safety just as i pulled the trigger a nice tight pattern hit the dirt where the dog was standing 45-50 yards away just seconds before.i have taken yotes ranging from 25-an un believable 75 yards shot give or take ,but it did take all 3 rounds and it ran off 20-30 yards before he piled up. the results speak for themselves for me ,but i dont have lead restrictions to worry about ............YET.
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

I just found out my Beretta 12 with a carlson full choke is making donut type of paterns at 40 yards.I am using 3'' rem mag bb nitro steel ammo.I will try out improve modify tomorrow and see what happens and go to town and look for some hd shot shells.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users