19 replies to this topic

#1 NVnightkiller

NVnightkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

Hello Forum members!First post here and would like to know everyones thoughts... I am deployed currently to Afghanistan upon my return to our great country I plan on buying a new quad for hunting! With that it will be my first ever owned ATV. So Im looking for some help. I would like to get a 2-up version Brand is not the biggest thing as long as my money is well spent! First question I have is a 500 big enough for myself being 6'3" 200 lbs? As well as having a hunting partner or my wife ride with me on occasions? Or should I save up and buy the 800? I have been looking around and of started to like the Can-ams! Any and all comments are welcome.Thanks Jay

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:19 AM

Jay, I don't have any knowledge of ATV's but would like to say welcome to the best forum on the net. This is a great place and you are sure to enjoy it. Also, thanks so very much for being over there taking care of us. It is really, really appreciated by all of us on this forum, and a lot of others in this great country. Stay safe, stay in contact, and enjoy the forum.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 NVnightkiller

NVnightkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the Thanks Braz! It really means alot to all of us in the service just to hear those little words "THANK YOU!"I hope to get home safe in about 28days! GOD willing and GOD bless!Jay

#4 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

Hey, turn some of your other buddys that are interested in predator hunting on to the site. We would love to have them here and it would give them a bit of back home perspective. But mainly, give a great break. After all, that is why we all are here. :roflmao3[1]:
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 NVnightkiller

NVnightkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:36 AM

Wow Braz I just seen you are from Yuba City, Ca. My inlaws live up there I was stationed at Beale for 3.5 yrs so that place is like home to me! Going there when I get back home for some fishing!Jay

#6 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:41 AM

Well you give me a call when you get here and I'll buy the lunch! In fact, I'll bet we can even get a few others to join us! Who else is interested in saying thanks in person?One more thing, shoot me a PM with your in-laws name. Heck, I may know them.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#7 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

+1 on the thanks for all you guys do over there, you all make huge sacrifices for our freedom. If you are going to only buy one quad then I would get the biggest one that you can afford and if you can swing it get one with power steering. My brother had one(a grizzly with power steering) and needed money so he sold it to my buddy that has had several quads, he says it's the best quad he's ever owned. I hunted with him on the back of his 500 and it didn't do well up some of the steeper stuff with both of us on it. :signgreatreport3kg:

#8 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

I have one for sale check the classifieds.

#9 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

atv's depends on if you want one that holds two people or not! I have an trv 500 2008 artic cat. some dont like them but its been a great machine for me, has options for different rack systems which come off and on quickly. I bought mine from artic cat everything comes off in a snap. I carried out a deer on it and it climbs like u wouldnt believe. mine has no power steering but u cant get some that do. i perfer not to have it less things to go wrong in my opinion. if your hunting in california only then buy a jeep though, not many friendly place to ride with the atv here. later i need to get ready for work thx for all that you are doing over there May God bless you and your family robert
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#10 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

my artic cat had no problems starting in the cold, i was 40 miles south of canada, the new carbs are pretty good and i drove up to 8 thousand feet with no problems. i drove in the snow and it was great
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#11 SCTrojanHunter

SCTrojanHunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Archery, guns, boating and just about anything else that involves the outdoors.<br /><br />FIGHT ON TROJANS!!

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

NV,Thank you very much for your service and protecting all of us over here. I try to thank you guys when I see you in the airports I travel through especially around Texas and Arizona.I've been looking into the Polaris Sportsman 550 and 850 XP. They make good quads. Also, don't overlook the Side by Sides. Polaris makes a RZR that comes in Camo. It's great if you want to take a son, wife or buddy hunting. A friend has he uses for hunting all the time and can't stop talking about it. They are a bit pricey, but something to consider. Be safe and thanks again!

Attached Files

• Attached File  RZR.jpg   16.55KB   5 downloads

FIGHT ON TROJANS!!!

#12 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

I have the rzr and in order to hunt with it we added a few things :)Its more a sporty type set up, but works fine.. And will go pretty much anywhere.. The ranger is my favorite, With the cab its toasty warm in the snow...And weve have yet to get somewere that it cant go... Both work well for us.
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#13 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

well Rae, my artic cat get it,"artic" is not warm lol

#14 norcalkiller

norcalkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:46 PM

THOSE ARE ALL GOOD QUADS, BUT DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. BEFORE YOU MAKE A PURCHASE, CHECK OUT KAWASAKI. I GOT A BRUTE FORCE 650 TWIN AND IT HAS WAY MORE POWER THAN A HUNTER NEEDS, BUT ITS NICE TO HAVE. AND IT WAS 2,000. LESS THAN A COMPARABLE YAHMAHA OR POLARIS WOULD HAVE BEEN, PLUS A 4 YEAR WARRANTY, CAMO, AND A WINCH! I'VE THRASHED THAT QUAD AND HAVENT HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM YET, ITS BEEN THREE YEARS.
AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL!

#15 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:54 AM

is it warmer in the snow then my artic cat?? :doh[1]:

#16 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:02 AM

Unless your "cat" is sporting a winter coat then yes its warmer than your artic cat in the snow :doh[1]: Attached File  widowmakertop.jpg   65.04KB   59 downloads For ground clearance, comfort, durability and power etc you really just cant beat the polaris. They are such smooth rides, with the IRS you dont feel like youve been beat up after riding hard all day. With the EFI you never have to worry abut it not starting due to cold etc. We pretty much have a fleet of poalris quads.. though we have been downsizing..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#17 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

:g-hog-poppin-up-ani: i thought about putting pvc pipe into the exhaust and routing it into my cloths under the jacket so that the exhaust will keep me warmer. I think they call that piped in heat?

#18 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

I own a polaris 700 EFI 6x6 UTV we have had a few atv's and really like the side by side its nice to have be able to take people with you and the 6 wheel drive is pretty amazing if I didn't have to clear my road of snow every year I would have got the 4x4 also being able to carry all the camping gear you need for a week in the woods is a plus. remember having a atv in not alot of fun unless you have 2 or a few buddies have them.. Thank You For what you do and if you ever want to come up and hunt or fish in Kamiah Idaho and need a place to stay.. PM me it would be the least i could do after what you do for us

#19 HogHunter714

HogHunter714

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

NV,I was in ur boat a few months ago. I recently just bought the Polaris Sportmans 500 EFI X2 and havent looked back. I am 6'0, 235lbs and this thing moves with me on it. It has more power than I will ever need and it looks awesome. Its a quad that transforms into a 2 seater in about 10 seconds. My girls can legally ride on the back of the thing and they love it. When I'm solo, I have a decent sized "bed" that can hold 400lbs of cargo or a deer/hog/wood...Whatever you wanna store. I threw a winch on mine and I think its added security. I paid $7,800 for the 2009 model. I did my homework and found OTD MotorSports (Google the company) has the best prices around with ALL taxes and fees included. I took that price to my local Reno Polaris Dealer and he matched it (So I didnt have to drive 100 miles to pick up the ATV from OTD). I looked at all the brands and made the choice on the Polaris. Glad I did!!!!!!

#20 ForesthillHunter

ForesthillHunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Everything Outdoors, camping, fishing, hunting, riding my quad, 4 wheeling! I just love it!

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:08 PM

Howdy Jay. Welcome to the site. And I Thank You for the service as well. What branch are you? I was in the National Guard. I am big on ATV's an UTV's. If you want an ATV, check the Yamaha Grizzly, Kawasaki BruteForce, Polaris Sportsman's, Can-Am's and the Suzuki King Quad. All very reliable and powerful enough for a possible 2nd person. As for the cc to look for. I get nothing less than a 400 cc. I am a big home grown corn fed S. O. B. Im 6'3 280, And I can take my wifes 400 in many places and not have a problem. So you a 500 COULD be plenty for you. I use to have a Polaris Sportsman 500, that think used to haul a 1000 lbs of fire wood all over my dads mountainous property and not break a sweat. It would power itself through 2 1/2 feet of snow and never get stuck. It was a plain out beast of a machine! If you want a UTV side by side. Look at the Polaris Ranger or RZR. The Ranger has a 3 or 6 person capacity. You also got the Yamaha Rhino, Kawasaki Mule, Kabota, John Deere and several other manufacturers. I know some of you are saying I forgot to mention a few brands. Well I didnt mention them because I am not very fond of those companies. I used to work for Auburn Powersports and got to know about all the vehicles and their flaws. I do know as well that the ones I mentioned have flaws as well but compared the brands I mentioned are the most reliable! Yes that is MY OPINION. You can do the research and check all the brands yourself to find the one that you personally fit you and your needs for the right price. I am just stating to put you in the right direction. I hope this will help when you get back. And that you make it back safe and sound. Happy Hunting and Shoot Straight Hoo-ahh! -JeremyP.s. Like I belive Braz said I'ld be willing to try and make it up there for a meet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users