9 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:17 PM

I see the unit eats battery juice...especially when using both speakers. Moreover, as I read the manual (yeah...1st time in my life I ever read the manual on anything) it says the small animal distress and yote howls work better using the horn speaker alone. Do you guys that use these successfully in the field have any opinions about effective usage and battery type? Looking for experienced opinions, considering buying the rechargable batt pack. Curious about the pros & cons of them.

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

I can't speak for the FX5 but I have an FX3 which also has dual speakers and uses 8 batteries. I have never used both speakers. Only the horn. It eats batteries also so I went to rechargables and carry an extra set of alkalines with me. I have never run the rechargables one down in one day in the field.

#3 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

I think the howls sound better on the rear speaker but have seldom used them. I bought 3 extra sets of NiMH batteries for my FX5 on Ebay. The Sanyo 2500 and 2700 are supposedly superior to the batteries that Foxpro sells. I also got a recharger at Radio Shack that charges the batteries a lot faster than the charger that comes with the Foxpro and you can use it in your vehicle on the run. I have never run down a set of fully charged NiMH batteries in my FX3 or FX5 in a single day of calling. I change out the batteries every morning. If I'm staying in a motel I used the AC charger. The remote burns up batteries real fast. I buy bricks of batteries at Costco and I quit worrying about it.

#4 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

The horn speaker is all I use with FX5 or the Fury. I recommend Sanyo "Eneloop" batteries, and a quick charger that plugs in to cigarette lighter jack of your truck. The little quick chargers are available from FoxPro.

#5 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

The remote burns up batteries real fast. I buy bricks of batteries at Costco and I quit worrying about it.

You may have something wrong with your remote and might want to think about sending it in for replacement. The 9v in the remotes should last literally for a couple of seasons for the avg caller. A season at most for someone who will hunt 3 or 4 times a week and make 15-20 stands a day. Since 2006, I have changed 1 battery out of 5 total remotes, but we swap remotes constantly. When you are not transmitting, using volume, etc. then the remote should not be drawing any current, minimal at best.Definitely go with the Rechargables for your caller.

#6 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

Is there a combo pack sold anywhere that would include 8 Sanyo Eneloop batts and a AC-DC charger?

#7 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

I buy bricks of batteries at Costco and I quit worrying about it.

This right here is the best advice. Get a few fresh sets of batteries to bring along...if you are actually out hunting enough to burn through a few sets of batteries you'll figure out what you really need.

#8 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

Is there a combo pack sold anywhere that would include 8 Sanyo Eneloop batts and a AC-DC charger?

I've found that it's far easier to find exactly what you want on line but a trip to Radio Shack couldn't hurt. Something else I've found is that some of the components of at least the older Foxpro callers are available at Radio Shack. The first place to look for batteries on line is Ebay.

#9 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

Moe, I'm with SL, something may be wrong with your remote. I can easily go a whole calling season with a single 9V.Running both speakers will suck up the battery life. I use the cone speaker only, although I will say some sounds sound a lot better with the other speaker.I use the rechargable battery pack, and the quick charger. I've had ths same unit for over three years and never had an issue. Of course I'm finding that the FX5 stays home on most trips now as I've turned towards hand calls.

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:36 PM

I've had ths same unit for over three years and never had an issue. Of course I'm finding that the FX5 stays home on most trips now as I've turned towards hand calls.

Huh???Handcalls?? :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users