Photo

Shooting video of small critters at 45 to 65 plus yards.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:14 PM

Sometimes I get questions about why the squirrels in my video clips look as large as they do when I claim they are 45 to 65 and more yards away. It's called "zoom", and lots of it. I specifically shot some clips on a hunt last week, to try and give some perspective to what I'm talking about. In the first clip the squirrel is 47 yards out. I start filming with the camera zoomed all of the way out and then zoom into the squirrel using approximately 30X zoom on the camera. Normally, to save time and band width, I would edit out all of the zoom on the front end. Sometimes there is a lot of motion as I'm getting set up to make the shot, and that can be very disconcerting to the viewer. I don't usually start commenting until I'm pretty steadied up to take the shot. The other issue with posting clips to the web is the amount of video file compression that takes place. A lot of detail is lost from the original clip to the compressed clip, so I usually try and select clips that have a lot of contrast between the squirrel and its background. The first clip here is an example of that, however, if a particular clip has something unusual about it, I will make an exception. The second clip is shown because it does a really good job of capturing the pellet in flight. In the second clip, the squirrel is at 65 yards out, sitting in the shade on the left side of an old oak tree. Not usually a good clip to use because there isn't a lot of contrast between the squirrel and its background. The compression and loss of detail make it even worse, but if you watch closely, the pellet in flight will lead your eye right to the squirrel. Especially in the slow motion version. The pellet hits the squirrel right behind the left shoulder and rolls it off of the limb. Again, I start with the camera zoomed all of the way back, and then zoom into the squirrel for the shot. The level of zoom is approximately 40X on this shot. Anyway, I hope this gives some perspective on why the squirrels look as big as they do in the video clips. Clip #1: http://www.youtube.c...feature=channelClip #2: http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

#2 grumpforce

grumpforce

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Hunter and plinker

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

nice shots, what were you using ?

#3 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

Did you have to compensate for wind and did you have rifle support? Nice job once again.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

Good videos Cliff. I've heard people say you're not that far away. Or should I say they don't think you are that far away. That should show them right there. Don't you love to watch those pellets in flight? Plus it hit the squirrel every time I watched it. :good:

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

As usual, that really enjoyable. Thanks. Do you have another DVD in progress?

#6 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

nice shots, what were you using ?

I was shooting my RWS Rapier PCP in .22 cal.

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

Marino, I was holding about one mildot into the wind. I shoot from a Stoney Point telescoping bipod. No way I can hold steady enough to make those shots off hand. Probably guys out there who can, but I'm not one of them. I use all the help I can get. I use a laser rangefinder religiously. I need to know the exact distance to the critter. I know the trajectory curve for my rifle with a given pellet, and once I have an exact range, it then comes down to doping the wind.

#8 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:06 PM

Good videos Cliff. I've heard people say you're not that far away. Or should I say they don't think you are that far away. That should show them right there. Don't you love to watch those pellets in flight? Plus it hit the squirrel every time I watched it. :good:

Thanks John. Yeah, I get enough questions about it, that I thought it might explain a lot to some people, if they could see the amount of zoom that gets edited out of most of my clips.I love watching the pellet in flight. They start out below the squirrel, then rise up above it, and then drop down on it. It's a real clear view of how trajectory actually works. B)

#9 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

As usual, that really enjoyable. Thanks. Do you have another DVD in progress?

Thanks. I'm not officially working on another DVD, but I do shoot video every time I hunt, so who knows what might come of it down the road.

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

VA,What camera are you using???

#11 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:50 AM

VA,What camera are you using???

I'm using a Canon HV10. It's about four years old now. There are probably newer versions out by now. Probably with more features for less money. You know how this technology stuff goes. :signtripledogdare2wf:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users